Whatto do with these gobblers? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-04-2013, 05:13 AM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Whatto do with these gobblers?

I have killed 7 birds the last 8 seasons (missed one last yr) For some reason on our farm the birds will gobble like crazy until 645, then they all shut up. I will hear birds far away on other land still gobbling but for some reason the ones in the area I can hunt just shut up. What is the issue? Roosting with hens and not needing to gobble once they hit the ground or what? They dont seem to have a particular pattern, one day they are in spot A the next in spot B then C for a few days then back to B and so forth. The bird I shot opeing morning I just got lucky with and happened to get close before he shut up.

Shots that are true, Pass right through!

Can I getta BOOYAA?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-04-2013, 12:55 PM
New Arrival

Re: Whatto do with these gobblers?

The birds may be educated on your tactics... If your calling to them first thing in the morning with hen calls change it up and locate the birds using a locator call such as an owl hooter or peacock.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-04-2013, 02:51 PM
Super Moderator

Hang in there, the best is yet to come.

My name is Moss and i'm a turkey huntin' addict

I'm itchin' to see a red fox twitchin!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-04-2013, 03:27 PM

Are you able to go after them, rather than just sitting and waiting?
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-04-2013, 11:56 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Yeah I can go after them, the problem is after I do locate them and get to the nearest logical strutting zone they shut up and seem to never come. I have been working night shift so I get home at 5 and have to be in around 9 to get any decent amount of sleep.

Today was HORRIBLE I heard 3 gobbles at 545-6am and then not a peep, not even a hen besides the 3 idiots I ended up finding around 7. One was using a box call clearly and sounded so terrible. the next set up was a guy and his boy walking through the middle of one of the fields I have shot birds in before. I figure that with no gobbling I would just go sit there and see what happens.

Why is it that for say 3 days in a row they will gobble off the roost and shut up, then the third day not a peep? I just can't seem to figure out the factors that certain days have where they wont gobble at all, even talking to buddies in different areas had this problem today of no talking.

Can I getta BOOYAA?
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-05-2013, 12:16 AM
The Man

gobblers being gobblers.
Thats why if you really want a bird, u gotta hunt every morning. Al least thats how it goes for me. You just never know when it turns hot and heavy.

Your spot I NEVER go back
My spot I expect the same
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-05-2013, 01:15 AM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

I just wish I could figure out factors such as best weather for gobbling. From my experience it seems to be a clear warm day wish little wind is best. Today was clear and calm but a slight chill, I waited til the sun was up for quite a while but they just never turned on. They never even roost in the same spots where I go, they are some hard birds to figure out.

Can I getta BOOYAA?
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-05-2013, 03:09 AM
Part of the Community

I can only speak for the areas I hunt, but most of the birds are still pretty henned up. They may gobble till 7:00 or so then go quiet. If I had to guess... I would say you have a combination of birds being henned up and goofballs educating them.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-05-2013, 01:42 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Quote:
Originally Posted by country52
I can only speak for the areas I hunt, but most of the birds are still pretty henned up. They may gobble till 7:00 or so then go quiet. If I had to guess... I would say you have a combination of birds being henned up and goofballs educating them.
I agree. Its time to change your tactics. I know you said they don't have a set pattern, but if they go in a general direction off a particular roost site, try getting if from and just do clucks and purrs. Try changing calls so they don't hear the same "hen" all the time. Get bold and setup real close to the roost if you can get in there before its too light out. With the good green up now, you can get closer than you think. Goood luck!
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-07-2013, 02:01 AM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Thanks guys, I will try to get in there a bit earlier and get closer and the calling soft. Hopefully I can fill this 2nd tag.

Can I getta BOOYAA?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page