Will this work? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-03-2013, 11:17 AM Thread Starter
The Man

Will this work?

Got on one early today and watched it fly off the roost. This is some steep terrain. Where I was sitting there is a tram road that just below is a small bench, then opens to a large valley. I thought he would come up the tram to me but instead he flew into the hollow, indicated by the yellow lines.

I believe he is assembling his hens on the roost and flying down into the hollow to breed. My question is: What side of the hollow should I set up on. It is too steep to look into and see where exactly he went. I am thinking at the top right of the hollow would be my best shot at getting him. The lower end is getting close to house and there is a field about 200 yards from the top. I image he meets his girls in the hollow then works up to the field. Here is the top of the area. Let me know your thoughts?

Proud member of Gobblers Anonymous Support Group [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/wink.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-03-2013, 11:46 AM
Part of the Community

Re: Will this work?

Set up on the edge of the field and use a dec or 2 if you got them. Call every once in a while after he flys down. Not to aggressive though. If he's with hens they may take him away from an aggressive sounding hen.

John H
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-03-2013, 11:54 AM Thread Starter
The Man

can we agree that I would not be able to call him up over hill and bench where I was located this morning if he flies into the valley? he most likely would not continue to go in that direction of the hillside, unless there is unforseen food source in that area.

This area receive pressure and I am worried that another hunter may be trying to hunt this field. I figured If i can get in before it is light and set up between the field and the valley I should be in business.

If I set up in the field he will be coming from directly behind me, as well. Do you anticipate "if he gos to the field" He would come out, see the decoys and approach. Given the steepness of the terrain here I believe he is either goin to go to the field or possibly work his way up the hollow where it widens out and flattens out.

Proud member of Gobblers Anonymous Support Group [img]<<GRAEMLIN_URL>>/wink.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-03-2013, 11:56 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

if it widens and flattens out, that might be a good srutting area for him
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-03-2013, 12:03 PM Thread Starter
The Man

That was my thoughts. If you check out the darker elevation line you can see it widens out. Where it gets flat leads into a stand of pines.

post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-03-2013, 12:07 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

again, i would go in tonight and roost him, be there before daylight tomorrow morning and get about 60 yds from him while he is on the roost...dont make a peep wait until he flies down and bust him
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-03-2013, 12:10 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

also if u think he is getting messed with dont put the decoy out, if he does see the hen he will more then likely hang up out of range and srutt and gobble alot but wont move, he will make the hen come to him
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-03-2013, 12:11 PM
Frequent Contributor

I would try to intercept him before he gets into the field. Otherwise some other hunter will do that on you. Fields work great on private land or where you have very little pressure. When hunting areas with pressure I always try to be at the first place that will go after they fly down. The reason is that they often roost in slightly different areas but usually head the same direction.

There's hunting and there's hunting with a good dog
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-03-2013, 12:11 PM Thread Starter
The Man

Thats the plan. I was going to go for. It will be tough with him roosting high and being able to see that entire valley from his roost. I may have to purchase a red flash light or hope my night vision carries out. He flew down at almost 6:00 on the dot but was light enough to see some what at 5:30. Looks like Ill be going in super early.

He was gobbling way before the first crow sounded. Do you guys think he is just calling off to get the hens into the valley. Once he hit the ground he never made a peep. I only made a few soft yelps at him once I knew he was in the valley. In my imagination I am seeing him landing to hens and strutting around them and such. the fact that he never made any attempt to come my way early is suggesting to me he has either a group of hens or a specific strutting zone.

Again, I am a novice at this but am slowly becoming addicted. I mean I havent casted a line in a trout stream since the second day.

Thanks for the input so far. Hope to have a hero shot of my first bird tomorow and have some thank yous to send out.

post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-03-2013, 12:16 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

birds cant see in the dark, u can slip close to him pretty easy in the dark, just try ur best sounding like a deer and you should be fine....ur probably not going to call him in right off the bat in the morning...u might have to hunt him like a deer...also u can go in around 10 or so his hens should be nesting and he will get lonely

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page