First time turkey hunting and I missed - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-02-2013, 05:55 PM Thread Starter
New Arrival

First time turkey hunting and I missed

I set up a ground blind at my friends house at a spot I though would be good. I've seen a bunch of turkeys there and he could hear them gobble from his house. On opening day I was walking in at 5am and when I got into the trail about 60 yards behind my blind 5 turkeys flew form the tree above me. I was bummed and thought I blew it. I got to my blind and set up my decoy and waited. Just before light there were two gobblers and hens talking to my right. As it got light out it got quite and nothing answered my call. A hen walked from my right and hung out for a few minutes then walked back to where she came from. Around 10 I did a loud call and nothing, then the hen came from begin me. I called again when she walked away and the gobbler answered back. For an hour I talked to the gobbler who sounded to be 100 yards in front and to my right a little, and a hen to my right. After an hour the hen stopped and it was just me calling and the gobbler talking back. Finally it sounded like he was coming in and right in front of me. I seem his head as me walked down the trail. As he got close he kept looking in the direction the hen was in. He stopped walking toward me and just looked around I drew back and was happy he didn't notice and I took the shot, feathers went flying and he want running. I walked out to where he was standing when I got and counted it to be about 22 yards. I used my 30 pin and didn't remember it shot an inch high with the broad heads. I had the perfect chance and blew it! It was my first time turkey hunting and first time calling. I realized why I misjudged the yards and not gonna do that again! I hope everyone had a good opening day!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-02-2013, 06:24 PM

Re: First time turkey hunting and I missed

You did good to get a shot. I have missed more than I care to recall with a shotgun, not a bow. Hang in there.

I support all hunters, regardless of weapon or technique!
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-03-2013, 01:01 AM Thread Starter
New Arrival

Thank you I appreciate it, pretty mad at myself for it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-03-2013, 01:51 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

To me that would be a success. I've yet to get back to full draw on a turkey the past two seasons. Not having a blind doesn't help. As compared to hunting in a treestand, range estimation on the ground is alot harder. At least in a tree you can use the height advantage to section off distances. That is not the typical case on the ground. I put my decs at a known distance and use that to help establishing the distances through other shooting lanes.

Good luck,

RIP Tuff 98-11, So many hunts, so many good times!
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-03-2013, 06:09 PM

That is why I use a shotgun for turkey. I use my bow for deer. You are better than me to even try to shoot one with a bow. Good luck next time and keep trying!

A bad day in the woods is better than a good day at work!
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-03-2013, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpms
You did good to get a shot. I have missed more than I care to recall with a shotgun, not a bow. Hang in there.
X2 Stay on it and don't get discouraged!

In Memory of LCPL Ralph Fabbri 9/29/89-9/28/10
Semper Fi, Brother
Never forget!
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-04-2013, 12:27 PM Thread Starter
New Arrival

thanks everyone!
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-04-2013, 12:42 PM
Frequent Contributor

Send a message via AIM to 41 MagFan

Keep pn trying you will get one. good luck.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-04-2013, 05:06 PM

maybe trying for your first turkey ever you might want to try the old shotgun to get one under your belt. boost your confidence up a little. then get on one with a bow. Just my opinion. the area your aiming on a turkey is small.. aim small miss small. those vitals are bunched up and even a hit on a bird could only be that, a hit. not a fatal hit. turkeys are tough in general. it sounds to me like you may have a few things to learn. if i dont know exactly where the gobblers are roosted, i stay out of the woods until they fire off on roost. then make my move. also, i could be wrong but it sounds like you may be an "over caller" when he is on fire like that just let him keep guessing where you are. he wont hang up then.(maybe) gobblers are the ones who sit and wait for the hen to join him. as hunters we are trying to reverse that roll and have the tom get "love struck" enough to come to the hen. Some toms will learn from that mistake that you made by missing(happens to the best hunters) and now he will be twice as smart. less is more with a smart longbeard. give him a few days then get after him with soft, slow, gradual calling. sweet talk him SLOWLY. in the words of Jase Robertson "no one likes a blaring woman." sweet talk. slow and easy. he will fall for it eventually, good luck!
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-04-2013, 06:38 PM Thread Starter
New Arrival

I believe i have a lot to learn, i went back two days later (it was wet and raining) and got into my blind and was going to sit until i had to go to work. at sunlight i heard two gobblers from the trees right behind me. they each gobbled three times then i heard them fly down. i heard 5 different birds come down and land right next to me. they walked to my left and never made another sound. At 8 i got out and went to work. They were in the same trees that i spooked them out of when i walked in the first day. I kept calling cause i didnt want him to go toward the other hen talking. I felt like i was calling to much but i was excited to hear him. that was me first time calling, thanks for the advice im gonna go out on monday and try again.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page