Isn't it odd...??? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-30-2013, 02:39 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Isn't it odd...???

How does one day make a difference of birds being so vocal and the next day like today you hear nothing? Is is weather? Moon? Barometric pressure?? What have you guys found?

The fun is over once you pull the trigger
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-30-2013, 02:41 PM
Super Moderator

Re: Isn't it odd...???

I heard one today and it was so far off I didn't even go after it.

My name is Moss and i'm a turkey huntin' addict

I'm itchin' to see a red fox twitchin!
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-30-2013, 02:43 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Not really sure if the moon, weather or barometric pressure has anything to do with how vocal turkeys are. I did hear one this morning and then a BOOM after that, the BOOM didnt come from my 835 though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-30-2013, 03:34 PM

heard 3 gobble their heads off on the roost, only to go off with a hen as soon as they hit the ground. heard another 6-8 birds throughout the morning but nothing consistent...deffinitely thought today wouldve hosted more gobbling activity than yesterday but i guess not
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-30-2013, 04:29 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

In my humble opinion, it's all about the hens. If a boss gobbler goes to roost surrounded by hens, and wakes up among all those lovely ladies, and feels no urge to gobble(keeping in mind that gobbling has only two purposes- to attract hens; and to warn off any other junior gobblers that may be thinking about stealing a hen or two), he struts on his limb until enough hens assemble beneath him and he flies down and breeds them. If the boss doesn't gobble, it's unusual for any gobblers to gobble, especially when they are on the ground. They felt the wrath of the boss for months and have no desire to take him on again. The pecking order is well established in February and March. Jakes, two year olds, and some three year olds have to wait their turn. They do a lot of fighting among themselves, but not with the big guy.

Then one day the boss goes to bed alone;he wakes up alone,and he is most vulnerable on that day, so you had better be there if you want to put him in your freezer. In the meantime all of these subordinate gobblers become trophies for someone, if they can sneak away from the boss and his flock long enough to respond to calling.

If you understand the quiet mornings they are much easier to accept. On days when there are no gobbles a good option is to do a lot of aggressive cutting in hopes of pulling the boss hen in along with her partner.

As for the weather, the temperature, fog, rain, or anything else, how would you explain birds gobbling in one area and not gobbling a mile down the road? Happy hunting.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-30-2013, 04:49 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Chettie:

In the place I was hunting, I also hunted Saturday and called a bird in right at the 12'oclock quitting time. I started the bird at about 10:45 and he wouldn't budge till I moved about 250 yards closer. The bird came to about 75 yards then circled me and gobbled behind me one time....I could hear him strutting but I was pinned with no hope of a turn around. He got nervous and putted and left.

Today at the same spot, nothing, but did have a hen cutting at me about about 6:30. I never heard her or any others come down off roost. Perhaps you are right, maybe those hens had my gobbler all henned up and nobody else dared gobble.

What is your take?

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-30-2013, 05:13 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

B pressure was 30.05 yesterday at 5:30 am And 30.27 today at the same time. Gobbled like crazy yesterday, didnt make a sound today. not much change in pressure
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-30-2013, 05:15 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Every place changes every day. No two days will be the same. And no one situation will have an explanation. You just have to know the fundamentals and stick with those. If you try to figure out a spring gobbler using your intellect and reasoning, you'll find yourself totally confused and disgusted. If you know where there are birds,
and stick with the basics of good positioning, basic calling, patience, etc. success will come. Keeping in mind the mood of the gobbler at the time you call to him will dictate how successful you will be. If he's smoking hot, he's yours. If he's with hens, you'll have your work cut out for you. Or, you can always wait for tomorrow.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-30-2013, 05:40 PM
Frequent Contributor

I had 3 gobbling non stop for 2 1/2 hours today.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-30-2013, 06:00 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chettie
If you try to figure out a spring gobbler using your intellect and reasoning, you'll find yourself totally confused and disgusted.
Gosh no wonder this happens...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page