Two Hunts - Two Filled Tags - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-30-2012, 05:00 PM Thread Starter

Two Hunts - Two Filled Tags

Well... my trip to Potter hit a little speed bump when I had some truck issues yesterday evening. I dropped the truck off at the shop last night and had planned on going in blind on some local birds (using the GF's new car) she was thrilled LOL. That was the plan at least...

I ended up getting a call from a friend in WV late last night around 11. He told me he had been seeing a few gobblers in his horse pasture the last few days. And asked if we wanted to give it a go. Seeing as we both had WV tags and have yet to set foot in the turkey woods down there, we took him up on the offer.

We ended up getting about 3 hours of sleep and headed for the border. We were in place and settled by about 530. We were all anxious and daylight started to creep through. To our dismay, first light came and went without so much as a gobble. Around 8 we did a little shuffling and located a pair of gobblers with 3 hens. They gobbled twice in response to the calling and refused to budge. This waiting game lasted about an hour. As luck would have it one of the hens started our way and brought the gobblers right behind her. Problem was they were in a slight depression, and despite only being 30 yds out, we could only see the occasional head bobbing through the tall grass. They were working right to left pretty quickly and I was set to the far left. As they started to angle uphill I was able to get a clean look at one of the gobblers. My girlfriend and buddy were to far right to swing and shoot. I kept hearing shoot! shoot! so I let the 870 bark and down he went.

He ended up being another 2 yr old. 9.25" beard, 1" spurs, 19 lbs. I was surprised at how quiet these birds were on their approach, but either way it worked out.

Hoping to get back out around home tomorrow and Wednesday with Raquel. Then it's back to work Wednesday PM. Hoping to make it 3/3 tomorrow. We shall see

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-30-2012, 05:34 PM
Frequent Contributor

Re: Two Hunts - Two Filled Tags

congrats
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-30-2012, 06:37 PM

Nice!

Never Misses
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-30-2012, 07:32 PM
Frequent Contributor

Good job Griff. I am real jealous now I have not been out yet. LOUSY JOB
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-01-2012, 12:59 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z7 ASSASIN
Thanks guys

Bri - Don't worry. Your fun starts in like two days. A whole week of it! I'll be the jealous one
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-01-2012, 01:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z7 ASSASIN
ha ur jealous! i'v been out every day so far and have had very little action if any at all. few gobbles here and there but not much. not 2 longbeards down by day 2! CONGRATS thats a paintbrush of a beard right there.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-01-2012, 07:41 AM
Frequent Contributor

You have a point there Griff. I'll be thinking about ya when I'm running the mountains and streams. I forgot I was out for about an hour or so on Saturday. That didn't count though its not the same when you are barely awake. Had a few far off and they spooked from another hunter. I called it quits then. Needed some sleep after working all night.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-01-2012, 01:22 PM
Administrator

Congrats!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page