What do you guys think? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-30-2012, 01:18 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

What do you guys think?

So heres the scenario, this one particular property these turkeys are tough. On the one side of the property my buddy ran into 3 gobblers 2 times now. Both times they gobble up to 630-7. He said never respond to calls and saw them strutting together/gobbling with each other this AM in one field lower that we can't hunt. Would you try to get in their travel path if they keep doing same thing or try a gobble call if thats all they seem to respond to each other. No hens with them.

Other side where I was at sat AM, way after light at 6:45 one flies out into the field silent and not a peep all AM. Wasn't interested in the couple soft calls I gave him either. He is in this area quite a bit.Also no hens around.

What are other things to try on them?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-30-2012, 06:26 PM
The Man

Re: What do you guys think?

That's just turkeys being turkeys. There'e not much you can do but keep after them. Tomorrow morning they might gobble their faces off, and run to your calls. That's what makes it fun, you just never know what each day brings.

I think I'm an alright guy, I think I'm alright
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-30-2012, 06:50 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

I had a similar situation. I heard no less than 5 gobblers at around 6 am. I called but got no responses. I use a mouth call and can do clucks, purrs, yelps, etc. I tried them all but I didn't over do it. I was in a field with a decoy. I heard some soft clucks that I figured were other hens but the gobblers evaded me. I know where they were, but I can't figure out where they go. I like hunting but I like turkey gravy too. I am curious as to what other more experienced hunters would do.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-30-2012, 09:21 PM

first let me say i do NOT mean to sound rude, or a know it all, or step on anyones toes etc...ive been in the shoes of a inexperienced turkey hunter...even after 10 years on my own i still learn all the time and got a long ways to go...i am no pro...but made MANY mistakes numerous times...

getting busted by birds is number 1...they are high up in a tree and got amazing eye sight...once in a while they just wont gobble on the roost...usually if they dont gobble on the roost they wont talk that morning for whatever reason...i had a case of that this morning...but often times you were busted and didnt know it..

along the same note, calling to a bird on the roost is very tricky business...call to him and he looks for you (the hen he heard) if he doesnt see the hen and thinks he should see her, he is likely to pitch down another direction...or sit on the limb a longggg time..calling to one too much on the limb same thing...

gotta keep in mind by calling like a hen from a stationary calling position we are litterally trying to reverse mother nature...in the turkey world, hens typically goto the gobblers...we try to reverse that...some just dont wanna play...some are lonely and will play...

another thing i did and i hear turkey hunters every year do is call WAYYYYYY too much...there is a time and place for a lot of talkin..loud talkin..aggressive talking...but, most the birds i killed has been clucks and soft yelps and not much of them...i see many guys on here talking about "answering a gobble" sometimes...but, most times i let em gobble..big deal he gobbled..he already heard me..he already knows where i am...thats all that needs to be done...

another tip...have some patience..a lot of times guys get up when the birds stop gobbling...i cant tell you how many times a bird shut up and 5-10-15mins passed and i gave up and got up to see a bird take off...BUSTED..he was coming in but quit gobbling...if i can hear a bird i will often sit till 8-9-10am...again..some of the birds ive killed died because of that...they go off and do their thing and 8-9-10am they fire up and come in on a string...

to consistently call in birds takes experience IMO...and experience in the turkey world can take YEARS...you just gotta pay attention and keep trying and change things...

one day the only bird i heard was a good half mile walking..tight to houses..couldnt do much..i was sick from school so i figured i better hunt the day...i knew they used the old logging road i was on so i sat there..called periodically...purrs, clucks...soft yelps..once an hour or half hour a little louder yelps on the box call...8-9am a bird hammered 75yds below me...i hit the call 1 last time...he hammered...and it was seconds later he was ontop of me...rolled my first...and it WAS the same bird i heard that morning...he came a longgg ways...

after that, turkeys started dying...sitting tight paid off..ive killed one on the fly down...thats IT...the rest ive worked and waited on...

biggest tip is just keep at it and try new things...often times less calling is better...like i said, all you gotta do is get his attention and he knows where you are at..

i once had a jake literally stepping over my legs looking into my eyes because he KNEW where he heard that hen...he starred in my eyes so long they started watering and burning...after i couldnt take it i had to blink...he putted..the long beard was gone before i could get the shot off...amazing how they can pin point calling...

there are some birds that will run to a call like a love sick puppy dog..but that aint the norm..

also, setting up in GOOD spots is key..a lot of guys say "oh i was such n such yards from them blah blah blah..." your location can make all the difference in the world...had a big ole long beard within yards of me one morning...dad and i set up on him..we both agreed he would NEVER walk down the grassy SGL trail...so it was to my back..and was 12ft above me..kind of a high wall...sure enough, he was so close i could hear his feathers "clicking" as he strutted behind me...nothin i could do...

good luck guys! its addicting and frustrating...learning the ropes can be tough...even with a pro turkey hunter teaching you...you just cant learn what to do and when to do it without actually doing it...just comes from experience..and gotta realize we cant always carry one out!
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-30-2012, 09:27 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

ahh..i'd tried getting in their path...maybe throwing a few hen decoys out..just don't bust them...or try something the opposite of what your doing...I've killed my last 20 gobblers after 9;30 in the morning...so i like hunting the later morning..knowing even though the gobbler does'nt have hens with him..he'll still go to his strutting zone and gobble...so try later in the morning maybe...Rusty
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-30-2012, 11:08 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Yea good info. I only call every half hour or so unless one is working. And also am careful when setting up and did the hw in that this guy visits this field quite often. When he was in the field I gave one soft call and I think he would have fed my way except a diesel scared him back into the woods. Just puzzled me cause I've never had one that silent and stay in the trees that long. He's a biggen though

As for the other 3 they might have gotten called at a little to much where my buddy was at. He said they roosted same spot as last so hopefully we can pattern em better once they leave roost
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-01-2012, 05:49 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

It means all the difference in the world how you start a gobbler.I personally don't call when they are on the roost,only enough to get their attention,if i do call.When they flydown I'll test his readiness and then make up my mind how i want to work him.Patience is the key,too many people try and force a turkey to do things.Content feeding calls and scratching have got more birds fired up,then any tactic i know,that's where the patience come in.Things will calm down now and hens will start to leave those gobblers and then the real fun will begin.Good luck to all of you and safe hunting.If a hunter should approach you,please make firm voice contact,no movement and no other noises'like clearing you throat.A voice is what gets through the best a calm"You have a hunter here"Hope this helps.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-01-2012, 06:58 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Also the barometer affects some turkeys more than people realize.with these fronts it can slow some of them up...today,this morning it should be rising,good sign they should be active.Like one said turkeys will be turkeys,its the way it is,they'll give in one morning.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-01-2012, 02:34 PM
The Man

Good post, Mauser!

Genesis 27:3
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-01-2012, 10:18 PM
New Arrival

Birds were tough in potter . Lots of gobbling on their own but no interest in our calls . hope for a better result this weekend .

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page