Last min longbeard - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-30-2012, 12:29 AM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Last min longbeard

A good friend of mine needs a spring bird to complete the PA Slam this year(he took a nice 7pt with the bow and a bear in the extended bear season)plus he has never killed a spring bird on top of that too. So fri night we head up to our buddies paps farm to try and put one to bed. Ended up not hearing any birds but i did end up calling in 2 red fox to within 15 yds while standing in the middle of a field, ended up seeing 4 fox total. Sat morn started off with the alarm going off at 3:30 am and out on the road by 4:15. Get to the farm and we go set up on the edge of a field with a strutter and a hen deke out and hope to hear a bird fire off on the ridge behind us. Well like it always happens thingd dont go our way. The 1st thing we see in is another red fox(we set up about 5yds from a den) and hear no birds on our side of the farm. We can hear 3 birds hammering across the road so off we go. We get to the top of the field and listen, nothing. Walk half way to top of the ridge, Nothing. Get to the top and make a call, nothing. So now im kinda annoyed so i just start rippin on the mouth call and 3 hammer right back, they sound like they are on top with us and about 200 yds out so we just plop down and start to work. Next thing i know there is a guy worked right in between us and the birds and starts in with a box call. Needless to say i am not very happy at this point but the birds still have not seemed to move. I ask the one guy that was with what the layout of the ground is and he says he actually thinks the birds are on the next ridge over and he was right. We found that out by making a good hike out around and away from the guy between us and made a call and thats where they were.

Its around 9 at this point and we are about an hr away from any other ground that we have permission on so our buddy says he has some other ground that we could hit up on our way home. Im game for some new ground so we stop in. When i think of good overall hunting ground this property is it, it has everything that any animal need. And just like 1st thing in the morning NOTHING.

Its 11 at this point so we start heading back to my parents and call it a day, but b4 we head to the house i said we might as well stop in the back field and make a call. Pull into field at 11:35, 1st call nothing 2nd call i though i heard a gobble but wasnt sure 3rd call definate gobble for sure but way off. We throw on the face nets, gloves and vests and load up and make a run for the baack corner of our property. We make it to where we wanna be to see the neighboring property has been timbered and all the tops are laying on the line. I make a call and do not hear anything but my buddy says he did so i call again and the bird is def on his way. We drop at the 2 biggest trees wher ethere is a small break in the tops. 1st call i make he hammers at about 70 yds. i shut up for about 10 sec and we can hear him running right at us. I call, hammer back call hammer back next thing we hear is him spittin and drummin. Call gobble wait gobble call gobble wait gobble, this went on for about 5 min but he just would not come. At this point i know we are close to noon so i just start cutting and fighting pur right in his face, gobble, i look over and see my buddy slide his finger down to the trigger and im like "YES HE GOT THE SLAM". BANG i go to jump up but i see him lift his gun and BANG again i look up and the bird if flying right to my lift at about 10 yds i pull up and swing on him BANG darn i missed swing again and im thinking this is you last shot make it count BANG and down he goes. We jump up run over to him and he never flopped, i blew about a 2 inch hole out the back side of his chest. As i came outta the tops where he was laying and layed him down the noon whistle went off. WOW Talk about cutting it close. I felt absolutly awfull about him not killing that bird and getting his slam but it was nice to shoot a bird myself, with it being only my 4th bird ever. i really wish that he would have taken that bird and its been on my mind since it happened. He was the 1st to say congrats and shake my hand but it should have been me saying it to him. But it was only the 1st day and we have plenty of time to make it happen for him. Anyhow it was a great way to end the day and i would have not had it any other way than killing it on my parents property and in a place that we would have never thought a bird would have been.

sorry about the pics they were taken with the cell phone. i will have some more up in a couple days when i get the memory card outta my moms camera

dont know if one of us shot part of the one spur off or if he did it fighting. The spur,on the leg with the tag on, was very sharp and the top was busted off of it

9 1/4 inch beard

just wanted to throw a couple more pics in of my boys and buddy that was with on sat.

GET SOME BOYS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-30-2012, 12:43 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: Last min longbeard

Congrats!!!
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-30-2012, 02:13 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Congrats and great story all ways love hunting with good friends

Happy Hunting!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-30-2012, 02:19 AM
New Arrival

Congrats on a fine bird!
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-30-2012, 10:47 AM

congrats

Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday - John Wayne
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-30-2012, 10:59 AM
Frequent Contributor

congrats
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-30-2012, 11:07 AM
Administrator

Congrats!
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-01-2012, 07:52 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEAM UCTH
A good friend of mine needs a spring bird to complete the PA Slam this year(he took a nice 7pt with the bow and a bear in the extended bear season)plus he has never killed a spring bird on top of that too. So fri night we head up to our buddies paps farm to try and put one to bed. Ended up not hearing any birds but i did end up calling in 2 red fox to within 15 yds while standing in the middle of a field, ended up seeing 4 fox total. Sat morn started off with the alarm going off at 3:30 am and out on the road by 4:15. Get to the farm and we go set up on the edge of a field with a strutter and a hen deke out and hope to hear a bird fire off on the ridge behind us. Well like it always happens thingd dont go our way. The 1st thing we see in is another red fox(we set up about 5yds from a den) and hear no birds on our side of the farm. We can hear 3 birds hammering across the road so off we go. We get to the top of the field and listen, nothing. Walk half way to top of the ridge, Nothing. Get to the top and make a call, nothing. So now im kinda annoyed so i just start rippin on the mouth call and 3 hammer right back, they sound like they are on top with us and about 200 yds out so we just plop down and start to work. Next thing i know there is a guy worked right in between us and the birds and starts in with a box call. Needless to say i am not very happy at this point but the birds still have not seemed to move. I ask the one guy that was with what the layout of the ground is and he says he actually thinks the birds are on the next ridge over and he was right. We found that out by making a good hike out around and away from the guy between us and made a call and thats where they were.

Its around 9 at this point and we are about an hr away from any other ground that we have permission on so our buddy says he has some other ground that we could hit up on our way home. Im game for some new ground so we stop in. When i think of good overall hunting ground this property is it, it has everything that any animal need. And just like 1st thing in the morning NOTHING.

Its 11 at this point so we start heading back to my parents and call it a day, but b4 we head to the house i said we might as well stop in the back field and make a call. Pull into field at 11:35, 1st call nothing 2nd call i though i heard a gobble but wasnt sure 3rd call definate gobble for sure but way off. We throw on the face nets, gloves and vests and load up and make a run for the baack corner of our property. We make it to where we wanna be to see the neighboring property has been timbered and all the tops are laying on the line. I make a call and do not hear anything but my buddy says he did so i call again and the bird is def on his way. We drop at the 2 biggest trees wher ethere is a small break in the tops. 1st call i make he hammers at about 70 yds. i shut up for about 10 sec and we can hear him running right at us. I call, hammer back call hammer back next thing we hear is him spittin and drummin. Call gobble wait gobble call gobble wait gobble, this went on for about 5 min but he just would not come. At this point i know we are close to noon so i just start cutting and fighting pur right in his face, gobble, i look over and see my buddy slide his finger down to the trigger and im like "YES HE GOT THE SLAM". BANG i go to jump up but i see him lift his gun and BANG again i look up and the bird if flying right to my lift at about 10 yds i pull up and swing on him BANG darn i missed swing again and im thinking this is you last shot make it count BANG and down he goes. We jump up run over to him and he never flopped, i blew about a 2 inch hole out the back side of his chest. As i came outta the tops where he was laying and layed him down the noon whistle went off. WOW Talk about cutting it close. I felt absolutly awfull about him not killing that bird and getting his slam but it was nice to shoot a bird myself, with it being only my 4th bird ever. i really wish that he would have taken that bird and its been on my mind since it happened. He was the 1st to say congrats and shake my hand but it should have been me saying it to him. But it was only the 1st day and we have plenty of time to make it happen for him. Anyhow it was a great way to end the day and i would have not had it any other way than killing it on my parents property and in a place that we would have never thought a bird would have been.

sorry about the pics they were taken with the cell phone. i will have some more up in a couple days when i get the memory card outta my moms camera

dont know if one of us shot part of the one spur off or if he did it fighting. The spur,on the leg with the tag on, was very sharp and the top was busted off of it

9 1/4 inch beard

just wanted to throw a couple more pics in of my boys and buddy that was with on sat.

the oldest boy is usually all about animals i shoot but he would not touch this bird for some reason ha

GET SOME BOYS

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page