What would you do? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-27-2012, 09:55 AM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

What would you do?

So I have a farm that I hunt every year. Now the landowner allows people to hunt there but I have never run into another hunter in my 3 years of hunting this property. The landowner has said he does not know of anyone else that hunts spring gobbler.

This year I have been scouting birds coming into a plowed field almost every morning. They show up around 7:15am just about every day. It is visible from the road so I knew it was only a matter of time before another turkey hunter sees them. Yesterday I was driving by to see if they are out and I see another truck pulled over watching them.

Every year I have birds that roost at about the same area at this particular property. Should I hunt the roost area? Or should I try to get there early enough to hunt the field? What would you? I am afraid if I hunt the roost they will pitch down and head towards the field. If I hunt the field I might have this guy set up near me. Between the roost and the field is hard to hunt. It is thick and swampy. Advice?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-27-2012, 11:09 AM
The Man

Re: What would you do?

I'd make sure I was there first, and set up between the roost and the field. Hopefully the guy is a respectful hunter, and if he sees you there first, will move on, or atleast not interfere with your hunt.

I think I'm an alright guy, I think I'm alright
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-27-2012, 11:15 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

I would stop by tonight, talk to the farmer and let him know where you are at. I may also place a note on the truck window early in the morning saying where you are. Anyone with respect would not interfere with that area. I would also tell the farmer you're only trying to be safe, as all camo in the turkey woods in the Spring with other hunters not knowing your lcation could be bad. Good luck bud.

Nature's Ultimate Predator Wasn't Created to Prowl The Grocery Store!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-27-2012, 12:45 PM

I have been known to pull over and look a birds just about anywhere I see them while driving. I have yet to hunt any of those places as I did not ask permission or wasnt interested in seeking it. It does not mean anyone is gonna be there.

I say go in, set up early, and have the flashlight handy to alert anyon else you may encounter approaching in the predawn darkness.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-27-2012, 12:51 PM

I prefer the 3 million power Q Beam to get their attention....

In Memory of LCPL Ralph Fabbri 9/29/89-9/28/10
Semper Fi, Brother
Never forget!
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-27-2012, 02:31 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Charging up my spotlight right now Nah what makes me think he is hunting is that he slowed down and let me pass before we got in view of the field. Then he pulled over to look. The farmer does not live near there so no way I can ask him before tomorrow. I guess I will just go in early and use the spotlight to ward people off
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-27-2012, 03:08 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Just go hunting. Accept the possibility there might be some interference.

If your hunt gets spoiled, go find a different bird. I just wouldn't stress over it too much.

The deer didn't disappear.... the 250,000 guys who used to walk around and make the deer move did.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-27-2012, 03:13 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Turkey hunting is the one version of hunting where I will tell a total stranger exactly where I hunt. Last weekend I talked to three seperate mentors who were all planning on hunting the same spot on the other side of the hill from where I was planning on going. Told all three of them exactly where we would be. I also recommend taking a strip of orange cloth and placing is eye level on a tree on a likely approach route to the area that you are hunting.
Being the first one to a spot makes all the difference.

Never underestimate pride; it can be a Man's greatest strength or his worst enemy

Never Forget.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page