2nd Tag - WHAT THE HECK - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-25-2012, 12:53 AM Thread Starter
Regular Visitor

2nd Tag - WHAT THE HECK

So I went to purchase my 2nd tag today according to the PA Regulations Book I have "until the start of the season."
Apparently this means also the youth season? I've never heard of a rule that considers the start of the season a special
season the start of a more general season...Should I even waste my time appealing to the game commission?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-25-2012, 01:01 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: 2nd Tag - WHAT THE HECK

I've heard lots and lots of guys talking about it this week. Dumb, dumb move on the part of the PGC. Tremendous lost revenue. Not only in terms are permits sales, but all the money that could be spent around the state in pursuit of second birds. Incredibly stupid decision. I've got my tag so it doesn't affect me, but I know a lot of people now wanting to spend their money but can't.
People live busy lives, and some schedules aren't necessarily cut and dry to the point that they can plan even weeks ahead. Work schedules change, and some guys now may be able to use a second tag, but are SOL.

ProSqueezing Pro Staff
post #3 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-25-2012, 01:08 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

You should be able to purchase the 2nd tag before season for $10.
If you want to purchase the 2nd tag during the season it would cost a bit more. Maybe $25.

If it was about management and not money, it would be so.

ProSqueezing Pro Staff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-25-2012, 01:20 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Did you or did you not have the past 45 weeks to buy the tag? I fail to see the problem.

Iím a great believer in luck, and I find the harder I work the more I have of it.
post #5 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-25-2012, 01:40 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

What could it possibly benefit the PGC, hunters, or wildlife to <span style="font-weight: bold">not</span> offer the second tag now???
That is the problem. Pure display of Idiocracy on their part.

Again, some people can't predict their schedules or know if their opportunities will change. I would love to hear the rationale behind the decision to make the deadline any different than it has been in the years past, let alone to contradict what was already in print in the digest? What was so urgent that they moved the deadline anyway?
Poor, poor decision making.

ProSqueezing Pro Staff
post #6 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-25-2012, 02:01 AM
Frequent Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairchild #17
What could it possibly benefit the PGC, hunters, or wildlife to not offer the second tag now???
That is the problem. Pure display of Idiocracy on their part.

Again, some people can't predict their schedules or know if their opportunities will change. I would love to hear the rationale behind the decision to make the deadline any different than it has been in the years past, let alone to contradict what was already in print in the digest? What was so urgent that they moved the deadline anyway?
Poor, poor decision making.
FYI if you did not know this already. The Special Spring Bonus Tag has been around since 2006 and when it was first introduced in 06' it was available by mail; only between the dates of Jan. 1st and March 31st.

They have been tweeking the process and dates ever since trying to find the sweet spot. It's not about predicting your schedule. It's about digging in your pocket for a measly $21 for a second tag should you be able to use it, want it or need it but only if purchased prior to the season.

Thus the reason it is Special and a Bonus. Kinda like the Doe Tag Allocations that must be committed to prior to the season opener and in that case way before the season.

As I have stated already on this topic earlier in the week I would gladly pay $50 or more for the Special Bonus Tag regardless if it gets filled or not just for the chance to harvest a second bird.

Quit complaining people and take responsibility for your lack of preparedness.

For the record I have been unemployeed for over a year so money is pretty tight at time for me yet I still scraped up $21 last July when I bought my regular license and pre bought my 2nd tag not knowing what I would be doing or what my future was.

Here are some threads pertaining to this topic that have been discussed over the last several weeks.

https://www.huntingpa.com/forums/ubbt...85#Post2655285
https://www.huntingpa.com/forums/ubbt...27#Post2651027
https://www.huntingpa.com/forums/ubbt...27#Post2649727
post #7 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-25-2012, 02:08 AM
The Man

Resident Second Spring Gobbler Season License: ($21.70) Issued in addition to a general hunting or combination license to resident applicants who wish to obtain an additional spring gobbler tag for that season. Limit of one second spring gobbler season license/tag per license year. Deadline of issuance: Second Spring Gobbler license must be issued by April 20, 2012.

Nonresident Second Spring Gobbler Season License: ($41.70) Issued in addition to a general hunting or combination license to nonresident applicants who wish to obtain an additional spring gobbler tag for that special season. Limit of one second spring gobbler season license/tag per license year. Deadline of issuance: Second Spring Gobbler license must be issued by April 20, 2012.

Straight from the PGC website

Putting Resource First
post #8 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-25-2012, 02:22 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by HardcoreHunter67
Take responsibility for your lack of preparedness.

For the record I have been unemployeed for over a year.
*It is so hard not to respond to that*

ProSqueezing Pro Staff
post #9 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-25-2012, 02:36 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lifes2Fun
Straight from the PGC website
And they issued that statement after most people had purchased their license, read the digest, saw the original deadline was "before the start of the season", and decided to wait and see if they would possibly have time to pursue a second bird.

Like I said earlier, I can't tell you how many people I've heard in the last week talk about not being able to buy a second tag now. There is obviously confusion and disappointment and it lies solely on the shoulders of the PGC.
And all this Blah, blah, blah about it's only a couple of bucks. Hey if you feel like making a donation to the PGC you can always just write them a check. Others choose to spend their money wisely.
I got my second tag weeks ago because I'm starting a large job (self employed and responsible) right next to one of my honey holes that is going to take me into at least the second week of the season. And my job scheduled after that is taking me near a dynamite farm that I haven't hunted in 3 years. Schedule looked good, so I bought the tag.
I feel sorry for those who unintentionally missed out is all.

ProSqueezing Pro Staff
post #10 of 38 (permalink) Old 04-25-2012, 02:47 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by HardcoreHunter67
Thus the reason it is Special and a Bonus. Kinda like the Doe Tag Allocations that must be committed to prior to the season opener and in that case way before the season.
It's nothing like the Antlerless Allocation Tags.
They are a limited number to specific areas, and therefor need to be sold well in advance so the known allocation can be determined against the harvest. There is a science behind that. They give X number of permits to kill Y number of deer.
2nd turkey tags are unlimited and statewide, therefor highly unregulated and unscientific on the front end. There is no reason not to offer them right up until the eve of the first morning.

Poor example.

ProSqueezing Pro Staff

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page