Walking under roost - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-24-2012, 11:16 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Walking under roost

I hunt spring gobblers on my cousins farm. To get to the field where I hunt, I have to walk through a tree line that sometimes has gobblers roosting. I never saw a bird fly out from the trees. After setting up I have heard toms calling from the trees but they wouldn't come towards me. I am wondering if anyone walked under a roosting gobbler and then called it in? If it is early and dark, what are my chances of walking under a bird without disturbing it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-24-2012, 11:29 PM

Re: Walking under roost

Early and dark and I say you be fine. Years back when we use to roost gobblers the night before, then in the morning we would know where the hens were and chase them off the roost in the dark if they were some distance from him, and then we call the gobbler in pretty much of the time when it got light.

Having one child makes you a parent; having two makes you a referee... Take your kid's hunting!!!
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-24-2012, 11:48 PM

Can you roost them the night before?If not early is pretty early to beat birds waking up.Listen to the birds (any bird) to start chirping in the morning.If you can't be there before that you will get busted by gobblers in the tree line.JMHO.Around here it is about 4:15 am.If they are awake you can still hunt there just may have to wait longer for a bird to come in.You are hunting a bird that wishes to procreate.Some caution is cast aside making them easier targets.If they do remember you busting them off the roost they may not care an hour or so later.If the birds wouldn't come to you it could be they already had female companionship.You need to wait the bird out at that point.The gobbler heard you he will come back after the hens nest.

Bob Seger,till it shines.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-25-2012, 03:55 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

this may sound strange but how about clearing a path through the tree line by using a rake and clearing the leaves away. I've done it and it does work but if you have a long distance to go just go in early before the birds can see the ground.

God, Family, Country in that order.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-25-2012, 05:54 PM
New Arrival

i would get through there very very early, if the birds up and sees you it will be extremely tough, they will call back and answer but most likely will fly the other way or stay in tree until you leave or is fed up. My opinion is get in there extremly early and take your time. Many animals make noise in the dark just take your time and get set up

Live life at full blast
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-25-2012, 09:01 PM
New Arrival

I always find another route to get to my spots if there is a chance of getting too close to the roost. Saying that it won't hurt anything, in my opinion, is flat out wrong. Turkeys spook easy. Fact of things. As hunters we buy camo to wear from head to foot to help keep this from happening. As we all know movement will get you busted. When you walk under roosted birds, even when it's dark, they will know you are there. Chances are that if it is dark you will have a light of some sort so they will deffinitly see that. They can't reason that your a hunter but they will see you as a predator. Turkeys can pinpoint where your at when you call to them. So it only stands to reason that when you walk through and stop at your setup that they will pay attention to where that is and avoid it. Everyone does'nt say to keep from getting in to tight to a roost without a good reason. try to find a better route if you can or find another setup spot. I had a problem with a set of birds for a few years with them not coming anywhere in my direction in the morning. I was far enough away, so I thought, from the roost to walk in safely. Actually they where able to see me walk in from many directions because of the vantage point they had. There are 3 ways to get around this but it took trial and error for me to figure out. Good luck!

If it gobbles, runs on gas, or is married to you it will give you trouble!
Frank
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-25-2012, 09:16 PM
The Man

Two years in a row I walked under the bird I killed without knowing it. One year he had 4 hens with him, and I walked under all of them. As long as they don't see you, you'll be fine. They hear plenty of things walking in the woods in the dark, so sounds aren't a huge issue as long as they have time to forget about hearing you.

I think I'm an alright guy, I think I'm alright

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page