Is it worth tthe time/ effort to scout? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-21-2012, 11:09 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Is it worth tthe time/ effort to scout?

Now before you assume that I am just lazy and don't want to get out of bed....

I just read three pages about setting up on a roost. My experience is that it is a long season and killing one 5 minutes after starting time actually makes your season LESS enjoyable.

Don;t get me wrong...it's great to go in to work Monday and "Yeah..I got my bird" but after you run out of friends to "guide" and you still want to get out...it stinks.

Plus, to be honest, I hunt public ground and there is probably a 50-50 chance that I crawl outta bed next Saturday, hump to the top of the hill and find a flashlight being shined in my face.

So...back to the original question...is it worth the time/ effort to scout?

DISCLAIMER: This post is partially done in jest...I have seen birds, heard them on the roost and know "generally" where they are....I am just questioning the need to lock a bird all the way down.....

I prefer my kid hunt and fish rather than steal and deal,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-21-2012, 11:31 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: Is it worth tthe time/ effort to scout?

I also hunt public land and I won't lie to anyone, I hunt turkeys to kill them. I enjoy everything about them and the show they put on, but I love pulling the trigger too. I scout as much as I can because I like to have as many options as possible so if a flashlight is shined in my face I can move on to plan b or c. Although, I'm usually the first to the woods so I don't ever get flashed. Getting walked in on while working bird, now thats a different story...

I should add, the public land turkeys I hunt move around everyday so there is no setting up on a roost and knowing he's going to be there in the morning like alot of farm country gobblers.

Im a great believer in luck, and I find the harder I work the more I have of it.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-21-2012, 11:33 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbear
I also hunt public land and I won't lie to anyone, I hunt turkeys to kill them. I enjoy everything about them and the show they put on, but I love pulling the trigger too. I scout as much as I can because I like to have as many options as possible so if a flashlight is shined in my face I can move on to plan b or c. Although, I'm usually the first to the woods so I don't ever get flashed. Getting walked in on while working bird, now thats a different story...
What bigbear said

My name is Moss and i'm a turkey huntin' addict

I'm itchin' to see a red fox twitchin!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-22-2012, 08:03 PM
Banned

I hunt alot of public land, and I scout when I have the time, but if I don't get a chance to scout I don't worry too much about it. I too hunt the same place year after year, and I have ideas on where they're at. So if I go down the trail in the morning and I don't hear any, I'll just go to one of my areas that I've had luck at in the past and will setup and blind call. Sometimes this works, and sometimes it doesn't. Either way I'm still out there enjoying myself.

Even if you scout until the cows come home and pinpoint the exact tree the turkeys are roosting in, that's still no guarantee they will be there the day you plan to hunt them....
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-22-2012, 08:32 PM
The Man

I really only hunt on private land so I do take some time to
scout before the season. They are generally in the same
areas year after year but I like to get out and scout/listen
anyway. May or may not be needed but if helps though.

I'd rather be fishing or hunting!
Youth Chairman of Chapter 803 PF, NEPA.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-22-2012, 08:55 PM

I barely scout. What little I do is done by glassing fields in the areas I hunt. I have numerous properties I hunt and they all have turkeys. I prefer to scout while I hunt. I find more satisfaction in using my skills, woodsmanship, etc...rather than peg a bird down. I just plain like to hunt and if it takes me all month to dirt nap one, so be it. Love every minute of it.....
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-22-2012, 09:05 PM

I spend alot of days before the opener in the woods starting around mid March. In part, I'm just out there to hear the gobbling but I'm also scouting. Paying attention the scratching, tracks, dusting areas, etc can give you an edge on a morning when you're struggling to hear a gobble. I know that there are scads of hunters who go out every year on the opener and have horny two year olds nearly run them over, but I really feel that its worthwhile to spend some time in the woods before the season.

I don't hunt turkeys because I want to, I hunt turkeys because I have to.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-22-2012, 09:57 PM
Frequent Contributor

I never really thought about it as time and effort. Ive been getting up before work and going out for 3 weeks on public land. i wouldnt be doing anything else other than sleeping a couple extra hours.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-22-2012, 10:03 PM
New Arrival

If you are hunting a new area then by all means scout. You don't want to get up early in the morning to go out in the woods and sit for hours in an area that holds no turkeys. Now if it's an area your familiar with and know it to hold birds then scouting is good for seeing if their travel routes or routines have changed any from the year before. Landscape changes and predator movement can chage roost sites and where they feed. I try to scout as much as I can. Does it help? [censored] yes! Could I have a successful hunt without scouting? Sure. But your chances are much better if you can get even a litte scouting in. Good luck!

If it gobbles, runs on gas, or is married to you it will give you trouble!
Frank
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-22-2012, 11:56 PM

I try to scout as much as possible for spring turkeys. Usually from the last week of March til season opener I'm out every morning b4 work and on weekends and most evenings I'm cruisin the backroads with the Leupolds in the front seat. Most of the time they're in the same places from year to year, but a lot of places dry up eventually, so it's nice to stay on top of things and when and where the birds are sounding off in the a.m and evening, feeding, strutting, etc. The bad thing about scouting is the disappointment on opening day when you get to your spot and someone else is there. What I mean by this is, if your like me, I have a lot of hours and miles into the scouting, I take notes on location, times and even weather, right now I have almost 5 notebook pages full of notes. The funny thing is, since March 17th I have only seen "1" other gentleman out looking for birds and it will continue like that until this weekend and all of a sudden all the "wannabees" will be coming out of the woodwork.
IMO scouting is a very valuable tool in being successful in PA's turkey woods. Not only does it give you the edge, it gives you the edge when someone else messes up your plans or area. Good Luck to all this spring and be safe.

LIVE LIFE AT FULL DRAW

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page