Blind in a field?? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-19-2012, 06:58 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Blind in a field??

I will be taking my daughter Saturday and want to set up in a field. The turkeys tend to walk the edge of the field. Is it ok to set the blind up 25 yards in the field facing the woods? I didn't want to set on the edge because we'll have to have two windows (looking right and left and think we will be seen in the blind. The edge of the field is super thick. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-19-2012, 07:01 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: Blind in a field??

It wouldnt be so bad if you had done it a few weeks ahead of time to let the birds get used to it. You have to remember you're going into their living room, they know when something is new and out of the ordinary. Setting it up out in the open and hunting it the same day will probably spook them. You'd be better off brushing it in just inside the woodline and trying to decoy the birds in close.

Visit us in Harrisburg Booth 908 in the Archery Hall http://www.therackpacker.com Code:HUNTINGPA
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-19-2012, 07:03 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Its also best to wear all black inside the blind, keep as many windows closed as possible, and keep your face covered as well.

Visit us in Harrisburg Booth 908 in the Archery Hall http://www.therackpacker.com Code:HUNTINGPA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-19-2012, 07:21 PM
The Man

It won't spook them one bit. Turkeys aren't like deer, they could care less if there is a blind in the middle of the field. As stated above, wear black inside the blind, and don't get busted moving, and you'll be fine. Set up where you want to be,and give 'em heck!

I think I'm an alright guy, I think I'm alright
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-19-2012, 07:35 PM
Frequent Contributor

Agree with borden. Won't bother em at all.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-19-2012, 08:01 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

You'll be fine,...GOOD LUCK!!!!
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-19-2012, 09:00 PM
New Arrival

Well.... It all depends on the birds. Sometimes the birds will get spooked by something new and big sitting out in a feild that they know was not there before. Also depending on where the birds roost, if they have a good veiw of the feild you might get busted walking out to your setup. Lots of things to consider. The wood line in my opinion would be the best place to set up. Where do the birds travel? Do they work their way acroos the feild, or do they feed and go back into the woods where they came from?

If it gobbles, runs on gas, or is married to you it will give you trouble!
Frank
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-19-2012, 09:53 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I have NEVER spooked a turkey with a blind. I have put blinds out in areas that they have never been before (usually THAT morning) and have had birds walk within spitting distance of them. Turkey aren't like deer in that they don't tend to care one bit about something new in their habitat...as long as it isn't moving.

Big Al's "Take-Em" Style Silhouette Decoys Pro-Staff.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-19-2012, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightyjoeyoung
I have NEVER spooked a turkey with a blind. I have put blinds out in areas that they have never been before (usually THAT morning) and have had birds walk within spitting distance of them. Turkey aren't like deer in that they don't tend to care one bit about something new in their habitat...as long as it isn't moving.
I agree and this has been my experience also. You still have to sit like a rock when they are within view because they will pick up movement within the blind.

Traditions only last if you pass them down to your kids!
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-19-2012, 10:08 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Turkeys just seem not to see them! Several years ago took a young hunter out in Upstate NY and had two gobblers come from behind the blind and strut along the side of the blind with their feathers rubbing along the blind as they passed by.

Just be still, wear dark clothing and move carefully and you should have no problems!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page