how close will you let em get? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-19-2012, 12:42 AM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

how close will you let em get?

Just wanted to see how close everyone let's them get. If they are coming in, do you shoot em when you can, or bring em in as close as you can before you smash em? Me, I shoot em first chance I get.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-19-2012, 12:48 AM

Re: how close will you let em get?

Hunting with the bow so I let em get as close as they are willing to come. Last year it was 25 and 10 yards.

I support all hunters, regardless of weapon or technique!
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-19-2012, 12:51 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I pass up 30 to 40 yards shots very often when they are closing the distance and angling in. I like the 15-25 range.

The sleep of a laborer is sweet, while the rich man tosses and turns, worried about his possessions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-19-2012, 12:54 AM

around 30 yards is great for my patterns but I take the first good shot offered. You never know when something will spook them.
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-19-2012, 01:14 AM

I usually try to enjoy the show and see how close i can get em....

I have been absolutley burned by that twice that i vividly remember...once a jake came running to me..longbeard worked down the field edge strutting...30yds tops..easy shot...figured i would enjoy it before ending the hunt...jake got upset..he wanted to find the hen he heard...eventually he got litterally in my face...an honest foot or so away starring into my eyes...i knew i couldnt blink...longbeard still strutting...tears rolled down my face...my eyes burned..i HAD to blink...jake alarm putted and the long beard was gone before i could whack him!

Another hunt...worked a lobg beard for an hour or so...i was walkibg around the pasture and caught him strutting...i dropped down and started working him..he was 100yds away or so...i thought he was already in the fence but he wasnt! I eventually got him to enter the pasture...5 steps forward and 4 steps back...strutting and gobbling and putting on a heck of a show....one of the longer beards i ever seen with my own 2 eyes..and through the season i learned he was the king of that hill..did i mention i had a cut off sapling jamming me in my leg and couldnt move??

I got him within 50yds pretty quick..figured i would let the show go on till he got nervous or got real close....he got within 25yds..wide open pasture...he worked left so i am now kinda skylined..no decoy..figured i better take him before it goes south...eased off the saftey and he took off! But the saftey never clicked and he was strutting facing away from me! What in the world happened?! Then i seen a cloud of dust coming up the hill...dang heifers charged him!! Man was i upset! Hunted that bird all season...never did kill him...

I dont regret either hunt...to me i just enjoy the show and the hunt...i love working birds...carrying one out is nice but not always a requirement for me...
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-19-2012, 01:26 AM
Regular Visitor

mauser06,, Anyone can "kill" a turkey, but to actually hunt one and have stories like that....Thats what its about!!!! 2 3/4" highbrass 12G, Let'em come in nice and close..
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-19-2012, 01:31 AM

As soon as he offers me a clear shot in range, I take him. Hey it's not a turkey hunting video!

U.S. Army Infantryman(11B20-Sgt.) 1978-82
172nd Arctic Light Inf. Brigade (Alaska)
9th Inf. Division
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-19-2012, 01:33 AM

<span style="font-weight: bold"> When I can shoot a clean shot, I'll squeeze the trigger....

The gobblers body language will tell me how big a hurry, I need to be in...</span>
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-19-2012, 09:07 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

25yds or less.
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 04-19-2012, 09:45 AM
Banned

When I'm hunting I will pull the trigger the instant they offer a shot inside of 35 yards. My thinking tells me that waiting to see if they'll get closer just gives them more time to size up the situation and then leaving the scene.

Now when my grandkids hunt with me I let them get inside 25 yards or even less. One reason is they use my son's old single shot 20 gauge that's chambered only for 2 3/4 in shells so their options are limited. The other reason is so they can have a better chance of connecting....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page