calling while still on roost - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-03-2012, 11:48 AM Thread Starter
New Arrival

calling while still on roost

you get within 100-150 yds of a bird gobbling in a treee by himself..do you do a few soft tree yelps or wait till he hits the ground before you call? 2 times last year i got set up on gobblers by them selves on roost and did a soft tree yelp to let them know i was hear and both times they would pitch away from me when they flew down...so any input on this scenario?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-03-2012, 11:56 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: calling while still on roost

They were likely just going to hens that you didn't/couldn't hear is all. Birds you think are by themselves...usually aren't. At least mosy birds that aren't jakes or 2 year olds won't be. They will roost usually within sight or at least earshot of the hens and you calling to them from where they knew the hens weren't won't. Pull them to you 9 times in 10. Its just that hard trying to compete with live birds. If that happens to me I will usually just get up earlier and get myself within 100 yards of them on the roost in the pitch black and try again.

Big Al's "Take-Em" Style Silhouette Decoys Pro-Staff.
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-03-2012, 12:01 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Send a message via AIM to jlh42581

I think our birds on public land see a ton of pressure and most times theyre going to sit on the roost till they see another turkey come by. I had a gobbler two years ago on a beautiful morning strutting on the limb. He never flew down till 9am. Someone else shot him as soon as he flew off the roost. I was jacked but nothing I could do. It was just a little too close for my comfort.

Last season a bird was roosted within 30 yards of me and I never knew he was there. He didnt make a peep. He flew down then looped around and got his head blown off. I was calling to a completely different bird.

What I say might not be the popular trend but at least Im not afraid to speak my mind!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-03-2012, 03:27 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Depends on the situation and where I'm hunting,but most of the time I give "one" soft tree call, then not another peep 'til he hits the ground. If I'm inside of say, 60-70 yards, I often won't call 'til I'm sure he flew down.

GOBBLE THIS!!!
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-03-2012, 03:28 PM
Frequent Contributor

Soft tree yelps to start off, followed by a fly down cackle when the time is right. I also flap my hunting cap against my leg to add a touch of realism.

Light travels faster than sound. That's why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-03-2012, 05:15 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by letinmfly
Soft tree yelps to start off, followed by a fly down cackle when the time is right. I also flap my hunting cap against my leg to add a touch of realism.
We musta went to the same turkey school!!!
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-03-2012, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenHeadHunter
Quote:
Originally Posted by letinmfly
We musta went to the same turkey school!!!
I have done that many times...sometimes successful. Sometimes just a soft tree yelp and scratch in the leaves.

However if hen(s) come into the gobbler and he can see them he will go to them the majority of the time. You may or may not hear or see them.

If I see and hear the hen(s) and believe I can scatter them without scaring the gobbler into flight I have done so with success.

I do believe the more one calls to a gobbler on the roast the longer he will stay up there waiting for the hens to walk to him.

If there are two gobbler a short distance apart I often try to get between them and make a few calls to get them both gobbling. However I have seen them on many occasions fly down, and go to each other before coming in.

Summary: The longer he sets in the roast and gobbles the more things that can go wrong. My advise would be to do whatever it takes to get him on the ground as quickly as possible and in a mood to search for hens.

NRA Benefactor Member
NWTF Member
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-03-2012, 05:27 PM
Frequent Contributor

Soft clucks seems to work well and if and when he answers you should be in the ball game. He may answer you and go the other way.

Call or no call at a roosted gobbler, that is the question.

I often choose my poison based on how close I am to him. 50-75yds is usually a no call situation for me till he hits the ground. If you know the terrain try to put yourself in a likely fly down spot uphill or parallel to him. 75-150yds I will usually call till I get an answer. I always like to be the first hen he hears. Earlier is better in that situation.

There is no right or wrong or fool proof tactic for this situation.
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-03-2012, 05:39 PM

Hardcore: Sounds like good advise.....

NRA Benefactor Member
NWTF Member
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 04-03-2012, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fall gobbler
Depends on the situation and where I'm hunting,but most of the time I give "one" soft tree call, then not another peep 'til he hits the ground. If I'm inside of say, 60-70 yards, I often won't call 'til I'm sure he flew down.
Exactly........BUT, if there are hen's in the hood, that changes everything....GAME ON!! Each situation involving hens is different in some way shape or form...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page