Now that 20 gauge seems to be the, what gun is everyone toting around? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 48Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 88 (permalink) Old 03-26-2020, 08:06 AM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Now that 20 gauge seems to be the, what gun is everyone toting around?

Seems like mostly everyone is switching over to 20 gauge from 12 gauge from the earlier thread. What gun/choke/shell combo is everyone going with the 20 gauge?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 88 (permalink) Old 03-26-2020, 08:28 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

had my 20 gauge as longer than my 12 gauge. it has a full choke barrel , no choke tubes. use # 4 shot for turkey,
Buckskin Dave and simoncool like this.
post #3 of 88 (permalink) Old 03-26-2020, 08:33 AM
Frequent Contributor

Franchi infinity, sumtoy .562 choke. It shoots every shell well. Feds heavy 7 fed#9 tss, apex #9 and there smalltown load. All shoot really good!

Was going to get into loading my own tss a few years ago but just havenít. Bought 3 lbs. of tss had it for a while then sold it. Would like to get into that!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 88 (permalink) Old 03-26-2020, 08:43 AM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernPotterCo View Post
had my 20 gauge as longer than my 12 gauge. it has a full choke barrel , no choke tubes. use # 4 shot for turkey,
That's all you need, especially if you are keeping your shots to 30 yds or closer, as seems to be the trend of many these days. I really don't see the need for specialized chokes or even specialized loads at close ranges. Maybe the loads I could understand in order to take advantage of the smaller shot sizes some may wish to use. But I really don't think anything but a full choke is needed if keeping shots within 30 yards. Anything tighter could be a disadvantage at these close ranges the patient guys like. If going beyond 30 yards the specialized stuff starts giving the hunter an advantage.

I'm not that good or patient. I usually opt for a 12 gauge, although I will on occasion take my 16 gauge mod. Ithaca with #6 and limit my shots to about 30 yards.

Last edited by simoncool; 03-26-2020 at 08:46 AM.
post #5 of 88 (permalink) Old 03-26-2020, 08:57 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

agreed simoncool, I use either one , depending on my mood.
post #6 of 88 (permalink) Old 03-26-2020, 09:11 AM

question, has any gun company produced a 3 1/2 inch shotgun in 20 gauge yet? that would make for a good turkey gun who doesnt like a lot of recoil.
post #7 of 88 (permalink) Old 03-26-2020, 09:14 AM

I just set up a 20ga for my daughter, a Tristar Raptor. I mounted a Vortex Venom red dot reflex site on it. I installed a Carlson's Longbeard XR Choke (.568) and plan on shooting 3" Federal TSS #9's. I also taped some pipe insulation on the stock and slid a Beartooth neopreme sleeve over it to act as a comb riser so her cheek aligns perfectly with the red dot.
ruger300 and Buckskin Dave like this.

Never Misses

Last edited by beagler; 03-26-2020 at 10:46 AM.
post #8 of 88 (permalink) Old 03-26-2020, 09:32 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pa. Slim View Post
question, has any gun company produced a 3 1/2 inch shotgun in 20 gauge yet? that would make for a good turkey gun who doesnt like a lot of recoil.
I'm gonna guess that wouldn't make too good too good of a gun. Even a 3 1/2" 12 ga. seems to be cramming a lot of shot down a smaller bore and most of the time, a 3" shoots better, not to mention the recoil. Going to a 3 1/2" 20 ga. seems to defeat the whole purpose.
beagler, basdjs and Buckskin Dave like this.

GOBBLE THIS!!!
post #9 of 88 (permalink) Old 03-26-2020, 09:33 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tca126 View Post
Seems like mostly everyone is switching over to 20 gauge from 12 gauge from the earlier thread. What gun/choke/shell combo is everyone going with the 20 gauge?
"Mostly everyone"? I doubt 5% of turkey hunting population has switched.
35 whelen likes this.

GOBBLE THIS!!!
post #10 of 88 (permalink) Old 03-26-2020, 10:16 AM
dce
Sage

One of the biggest appeals to me with a 20ga is the weight factor so I have a Franchi affinity.Currently it's the only shotgun I own as I like it so much.I bought an extra 24" barrel for it and installed some tru glo sights to it.I just swap barrels in the spring.
ruger300 likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page