Off the wall locator calls - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 23Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-05-2020, 08:38 AM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Off the wall locator calls

I am wondering if anyone uses any off the wall locator calls. I mean beyond the usual owl and crow calls. Recently I got a wounded rabbit call in a box lot at a sale that I am thinking that would be worth a try.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-05-2020, 08:43 AM
Sage

I tried an air horn for a few years..it worked some of the time I figured I could warn another hunter off as well but never had to use it for that.
Juniata4ever likes this.

wmu 3A
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-05-2020, 08:55 AM
The Man

I used to have a party horn I got at a New Years Eve party that worked great. It went up an octave every time time you blew it, for three times in a row. It sounded similar to something you'd hear in a Three Stooges movie. And the turkeys loved it.....I got more answers to that than just about any other locator call I've ever used. I lost it, and haven't replaced it since, but I'm constantly on the lookout for one!
Juniata4ever likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-05-2020, 08:59 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by simoncool View Post
I used to have a party horn I got at a New Years Eve party that worked great. It went up an octave every time time you blew it, for three times in a row. It sounded similar to something you'd hear in a Three Stooges movie. And the turkeys loved it.....I got more answers to that than just about any other locator call I've ever used. I lost it, and haven't replaced it since, but I'm constantly on the lookout for one!

Any Dollar General or Dollar Tree would have something like that for... you guessed it... $1 or less

Gun Control = Using both hands, and hitting your target
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-05-2020, 09:17 AM

When gobblers are in the mood they will often sound off to any noise and often to loud noises. I have heard them gobble back to the sound of a swing gate, car doors, car horns, crow calls, owl calls, gun shots, coyote howls, elk bugles etc. etc.

Once I was hunting gobblers in an area where I believed there were only a few gobblers not many....all that changed when a thunder storm approached. I was caught about 2 miles from the vehicle so I had to wait out the storm which fortunately for me only lasted a few minutes and was mostly noise.

At the sound of the loud thunder I counted what I was sure amounted to at least 20 different gobblers sounding off.....I had no idea that there were that many gobblers in the area.
Six-Gun and Juniata4ever like this.

NRA Benefactor Member
NWTF Member
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-05-2020, 09:50 AM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Ran View Post
Any Dollar General or Dollar Tree would have something like that for... you guessed it... $1 or less
Every dollar store I've check only carry the monotone horns...
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-05-2020, 10:28 AM

I've carried my bugle tube and have gotten responses to amplified yelps and elk bugles.
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-05-2020, 12:34 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

My favorite hunting spot has a hiway nearby where motorcycles cruise on saturdays. Gobbles everytime one with open pipes go by.
limbhnger10 likes this.

"Lazy people think of the easy way to do the hard stuff"
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-05-2020, 12:48 PM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wald Jager View Post
My favorite hunting spot has a hiway nearby where motorcycles cruise on saturdays. Gobbles everytime one with open pipes go by.
I guess the saying "loud pipes save lives" doesn't apply to toms in the spring!
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-06-2020, 10:40 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

There is a spot just up from my camp where the road climbs over a small ridge and you can see the protruding knob of lime stone. Roll back trucks with wrecked autos seem to use the road a lot and at 4:55 am that bang/bump works every time.

So did the slam of the outhouse door after use....
Mussgrass likes this.

4th Generation @ Kamp.

3D - There are STILL a few deer left! You need to pry them out of the developments!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page