• 1 Post By Twowithone
  • 1 Post By Strut10
  • 1 Post By Hunter8319
  • 1 Post By mauser06

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-07-2020, 09:54 AM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Acceptable pattern

I'm looking at a new designated turkey gun and I'd like to get this one really dialed in. So what do you consider a acceptable pattern at 40 yds? X amount of pellets in a certain size circle? What would you consider exceptional?

How bout some target pics of your favorite go to setup?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-07-2020, 10:06 AM
Frequent Contributor

I’m more of an even pattern guy for hunting, not much on 10” circle count.

It would also depends on what gauge what load you’re shooting.

Guys are getting 300 in a 10” circle at 40 yards with tss. Won’t get that with longbeards (lead) but can still get a killer 40 yard hunting pattern.

12 gauge buddy shoot longbeard #5 3”and gets one of the best patterns at 50 yards I ever saw.

It depends on load and choke...not hard these days to get a good shooting turkey gun.

I remember getting 13 hits in a head and neck target 25 years ago and being happy with that and killing turkeys too!
basdjs and limbhnger10 like this.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-07-2020, 03:59 PM
Banned

3 in the head he,s dead. I dont do that certain pellet count in a 10" circle at 40 yds.
Six-Gun likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-07-2020, 06:17 PM

In very general terms, I would say as a minimum an evenly dispersed pattern (no holes in the pattern bigger than 1 sq. in.) centered on your point-of-aim with a minimum of 10 solid hits in the neck/head area on EVERY shot. Obviously a lot depends on gauge and shot size. Since every pattern from a shotgun with the same load will be different, it's good to pattern any given load 3-4 times to determine pattern consistency.

The older I get, the stronger gravity becomes.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-07-2020, 07:58 PM
The Man

I would hunt with 85-90 in the 10". I like a lot more. Our 20 gauges are doing 135-155 at 40 yards with #7 shot.

limbhnger10 likes this.

demokraten saugen
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-07-2020, 08:40 PM
The Man

Years ago it was get at least 100 pellets in the 10 inch circle at 40 yards. It's a standard you can use today with lead shot.

I've spent most of my money on Waterfowling, Women and Whiskey.
The rest of my money I just wasted.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-07-2020, 09:22 PM

My 20ga will shoot 130+. My 12ga will shoot 250+. Even my .410 with TSS would be able to kill at 40. Anything close to 100 with an even pattern is plenty.
limbhnger10 likes this.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-10-2020, 08:12 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

I decided to go a different route. Instead of a new gun, I ordered the Burris speedbead to put on a Rem 870. Cost about as much as a new gun, so hopefully I like it! I’ll put some pics up when I get it put on and shoot it.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-13-2020, 01:40 AM

That's what my flintlock is doing at 30 yards.

I remember when I started, a 40 yard turkey gun was something to talk about. Dad wasn't savy to chokes and loads. We hunted with Remington Nitros usually. I found a some Remington hevishot loads and a hevishot choke on sale after the season. I never looked back.

I don't carry a modern gun now and I'm stuck with a pile of Magnum Blend. The gun shoots them well. About perfect IMO. 200ish in a 10" circle at 40yds if I remember correctly. Nice even pattern but not a softball. It'll do everything I need it to.

I "draw the line" when I start loosing more than 100 hits in a 10" circle. I had a flintlock doing like 85 at 30yds. I absolutely stoned a bird at about 25yds with it. But I wouldn't knowing take a shot further than 30. Loose some of that pattern to brush or the bird bobbing and weaving and it can go south.

With today's chokes and loads available, it's pretty easy to get a highly capable turkey gun. I'd go-to a 20ga and TSS.
limbhnger10 likes this.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-13-2020, 04:07 AM
The Man

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007hunter View Post
I decided to go a different route. Instead of a new gun, I ordered the Burris speedbead to put on a Rem 870. Cost about as much as a new gun, so hopefully I like it! I’ll put some pics up when I get it put on and shoot it.
..you never mention turkey loads that you use...or choke..
Shot loads are more important than the optic...the optic does nothing for improving how you shotgun will shoot...

you could have saved your money..and bought a new choke.. 4 boxes of TSS #7 and been good for the next 9 years....and still had a bunch of money left over LOL

If the hay is layed..a yote will be slayed

Last edited by limbhnger10; 02-13-2020 at 04:12 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page