Is anyone else fascinated by hen noises? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-04-2020, 03:16 AM Thread Starter

Is anyone else fascinated by hen noises?

The thunder of a gobble gets my blood pumping, but the hens are what tell me temperature of the woods.

I don't know about anyone else, but I absolutely love the pitch, range, dynamics and inflection of hen chatter. They just make so many cool sounds and can command so much turkey traffic - attracting lovesick gobblers, alerting for danger, regrouping a spooked flock, corralling the gang when it's time to fly up for the night - that they really are just fun to hear in their own right.

Is anyone else as intrigued by hen talk?

I think this guy knows where I'm coming from

Loggy and lanctrapper like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-04-2020, 05:39 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

neat video. I also like to hear hens talking. had them around my deer stand several times and loved to hear them . also like to hear the gobblers gobbling early in the morning. thanks for posting the video.
Six-Gun likes this.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-04-2020, 06:07 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernPotterCo View Post
neat video. I also like to hear hens talking. had them around my deer stand several times and loved to hear them . also like to hear the gobblers gobbling early in the morning. thanks for posting the video.
The Fall hen flocks are always a treat, even more so when you hear them coming before you see them, scratch the understory and foraging along while you sit in that deer stand. Another one that's fascinating is when they cluck so quietly that you can't even hear her chatter, but you see her beak moving and the gobblers thunder back. That happened during my Spring hunt this past season.

For the record, I don't know who that guy in the video is or how/why on earth that hen flew up to him, but I was completely fascinated by her vocalizations. Very cool to hear the ones under her talking back, too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-04-2020, 06:39 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

All turkey talk is fascinating but hen talk is a key to a gobbler for sure

Full Fans, Longbeards, and Sharp Spurs
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-04-2020, 06:43 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Domesticated turkeys. Great video for the soft stuff. They're very content, lol.

GOBBLE THIS!!!
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-04-2020, 08:18 AM

Every day I am intrigued by the hens and thier talk. Perhaps 40 in my flock that are a real hoot. The Toms have a full vocabulary as well. Perhaps 40 Toms in my flock that seem to make new to me sounds weekly.

That hen wanted to peck his shiny eyeballs. If anyone ever has a bird that close to your face be ready for it.

The difference between dreamers and achievers is action.
One try is worth a thousand guesses.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-04-2020, 08:32 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kip Feroce View Post
Every day I am intrigued by the hens and thier talk. Perhaps 40 in my flock that are a real hoot. The Toms have a full vocabulary as well. Perhaps 40 Toms in my flock that seem to make new to me sounds weekly.

That hen wanted to peck his shiny eyeballs. If anyone ever has a bird that close to your face be ready for it.
That was the first thing that crossed my mind when she cocked her head back and started looking at him real hard!
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-04-2020, 08:39 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

I was checking traps at around 430 am a week ago in an area that has held a flock of about 100 birds since november.
There was a roosted hen yelping and cutting excitedly for about 5 mins. I don't know what was going on there but she did or didnt like something a whole lot. I would assume she was getting harrassed by a fisher or coon ,but who knows. She still had a couple hours to wait till it got light.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-04-2020, 10:31 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fall gobbler View Post
Domesticated turkeys. Great video for the soft stuff. They're very content, lol.
I figure as much, or just extremely habituated birds, but I just love how noisy they are. The one hanging out with him was just great.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-04-2020, 10:37 AM
Frequent Contributor

She thought he was as George Jefferson said A jive turkey!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page