The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

How many turkey guns do you have?

5K views 45 replies 36 participants last post by  dce 
#1 ·
For just over 20 years my old reliable has been Mossberg 835 in 12 ga. Over the years I did change to a Jellyhead choke, added a pistol type grip and a Williams peep sight. Love that gun.

But after working an NWTF banquet I stood at a raffle a little too long. Staring at a Winchester SXP Longbeard 20 ga. So after the banquet a couple committee members ordered a couple. And now I got two good guns. I topped the Winchester with a Burris red dot. Last year I killed a gobbler with each gun.

Not sure what I'll do this year?? Maybe use Mossberg first. Maybe use weather to help decide what I carry. Mossberg has been through heck and back, and Winchester looks so nice. Still like new.

Who else has multiple turkey guns??

#3 ·
Three, actually. A Winchester 1300 buck/tom edition with a .660 JH choke, and a 20 year old or so H&R 12 gauge single also tipped with a JH .660 choke and factory dipped in the original Bottomland. Had Williams fiber optic rifle sights installed on this little single shot. Both are cool turkey guns. But they are just backups now.

The third is a Mossberg 500 in 20 gauge, factory dipped in new Breakup. I have a IC .555 on it shooting TSS #9s loaded in a 2.75" shell. Almost bought an SXP in 20 like yours, but the Mossberg deal was simply too good to pass.

Unless the little Mossberg would malfunction I don't see carrying the big 12 gauge ever again.

#5 ·
Dedicated turkey guns ?? Or guns I have killed turkeys with ??

As far as dedicated turkey guns goes...……… 7 of them.

A pair of NEF single 20's tricked out by Mr. William Lambert.

A Super X2

A Super X3

A Browning BPS 10

A Remington 870 Turkey

A Winchester 1300 (Did have 2...… gave one to my brother)

#6 ·
1972 Started with my duck/goose gun Browning 12 ga. 3" Mag. 32" barrel full choke and open sights.
1996 purchased a Browning A-5 12 ga. 3" mag. bolt action with a Browning full choke and a Leupold 1X4 scope.
About 12 years ago won a NEF 20 ga. pump tried about 6-8 chokes selected Pure Gold 555 With A Fast Flight III About 9 years ago purchased a 20 ga. Mossberg tried 6-8 chokes selected Pure Gold 570 Truglo type sight.

I have other 12 ga. shotguns which would be good turkey gun and are commonly used; However, I am quite happy with the 20 ga. The NEF and the Mossberg perform close to the same. I take both to the range each year and pattern them and the NEF seem to shoot a a tighter consistent pattern however I do use both the 20's interchangeably.

Looked into more expensive 20 ga. guns, but I haven't found a lot of improvement to verify the cost.

#7 ·
I have two main turkey guns, one for the fall season and one for spring. In the fall I carry a Savage Model 24 over under 22 mag/20 gauge. I just use the factory iron sights and it shoots both barrels to point of aim. In the spring I take my Remington 870 Express Turkey with a camo synthetic stock.

#15 ·
I've got two. A Moss 835 (3.5") and a Moss 930 (3"). Hunting out of state and far from home it would be foolish not to have a backup on hand. I have several 3.5" shells that I'm "using up" in the 835. Then I'll use just 3" shells in both guns...shoulder doesn't need the extra pounding. No such thing as dead, deader and deadest.

#16 ·
Now my main turkey weapon is a Franchi affinity 20 gauge. Sumtoy .562 choke. That gun shoots every kind of shell well! Just got the Stevens 301 in a 20. Haven’t shot it yet! With the great strides in shotshell technology there is no need for 3.5 “ 12 gauge anymore.
Had one of the first 835’s to come out. My brother has it now.
Went from that to a browning auto gold 3.5” killed lots of birds with that. Sold it after I bought my Franchi. Actually bought the Franchi for my girls but use it when they aren’t hunting. 50 yard killer all day.

#18 ·
I have two
The first is my Mossberg 500 12ga that has killed lots of turkeys with among other critters such as rabbits, grouse, pheasants, squirrels and a couple of deer. This is my go to shotgun. Bought it back in the 70’s

My second one is a youth model Mossberg 500 20ga with a Burris FF on it. I just got it this spring for my retirement present to myself 😁 I’m surprised that it fits me. Haven’t killed a bird with it yet. But I will

#21 ·
I have 3... 2 835`s and a 20 Ga Moss. 500 all have Simmons 1.5-5x32 Pro diamond scopes. The 20 has a Indian Creek Ported choke, one 835 has a factory turkey choke and my go to 835 has a Rhino Ported .690. I like the 835`s a lot, I shot quite a few birds with out missing or loosing a one, but shooting 3.5 inch mags pack a wallop. So last season I got me the 20 Ga. Mossberg 500 and filled both tags at 35 and 40 yds. So now I believe the 20 will be my new go-to gun for spring Gobbler.....Happy New Year.....

#22 ·
Oh boy

835 that has not been shot since 1992
11-87 sps-t Greenleaf
11-87 sps-t treebark
Mossberg banton 20ga
Sa459 20ga
Sx3-longbeaerd 20ga x2

My Greenleaf is responsible for no less than 200 gobblers in 6 states. Sure was hard to retire that old girl. and if it could only talk.
I wish I had the $$ I have spent in choke and shell combo's. If TSS would have been around 30 years ago.....

#25 ·
depends if dad goes out or not. he is in braces but gets around descent . if he goes out he uses the Winchester, it has a sling on it .keeps his hands empty so he can use a walking stick to help balance himself. if he don`t go out I use it .and depends on my mood also.

#29 ·
Every turkey I've ever killed has been with the same Mid 80s Rem 870 3" Express Mag that I got brand new as a kid for Christmas.
Last summer I bought a 20g Weatherby SA-08 youth model (for the kids). Had a picatinny rail made for it and mounted a Burris FF3 on it. Carried it and killed a hare with it the other day. I love that little gun. So lite and points really nice. I think I'm going to kill a bird with it in the Spring.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.