7Likes
  • 3 Post By jmbear12
  • 1 Post By Born2Hunt
  • 3 Post By cspot

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-29-2019, 08:32 PM Thread Starter
Regular Visitor

Setting blind up day of hunt?

Anyone ya e luck setting up a turkey blind on the day of the . Like a pop up one?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-29-2019, 08:53 PM

I don't hunt out of a blind myself, but several of my friends and family have been successful in doing that. Seems that turkeys just don't care much about blinds, as long as they don't catch any suspicious noises or movement coming from it.

"Well boy, you ain't gonna git nothin' layin' in that bed." ~My ol' man
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-29-2019, 09:33 PM

Yes, no problem. I have set pop up blinds in the middle of big fields in the open and taken gobblers. I have used them in an urban area where there are only a few acres that can be hunted and successfully and called them in. On two occasions I used a blind on days that rain was predicted and took gobblers home. There is another area that gobbler roost every year and I do not have access to approach the field from the woods so I have to approach across an open field before daylight to get my blind up in the field.

I don't use a blind often as I like to stay mobile. However, I believe my chances of taking mature spring gobblers at these locations would be greatly demished without the use of a pop up blind...

On all of these occasions I set the blinds up before daylight the day of the hunt. I would advise some practice setting up a blind to be assured one can do this very efficiently, minimal movement and quietly in the dark if the turkeys are roosted near by.

I learned this the hard way, but since the turkeys flew out and disbursed they returned mid morning a few at a time walking all around my blind until one of the bigger gobbles came into range.
limbhnger10 likes this.

NRA Benefactor Member
NWTF Member
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-29-2019, 09:35 PM

With turkeys it doesn't bother them at all. I don't hunt as much out of one now since the kids are older, but we used to hunt a bunch out of a blind. Like mentioned above you can put it out right in the middle of the field and 2 min later you can call them in.

Now with deer that is another story.

Traditions only last if you pass them down to your kids!
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-28-2020, 06:28 PM
Frequent Contributor

I have used a blind quite a few times while turkey hunting. I always set it up on the morning of the hunt. I make no attempts to brush it in or anything. Literally just pop it up where you want to hunt and you are good to go. I have a couple of spots that the turkeys like to travel that are in the middle of wide open fields. There is really no other way to hunt these spots other than to pop up a blind and they work well. Using a blind is also really great for taking the kids along. It allows for a lot of movement which is always an issue with the younger hunters.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-28-2020, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cspot View Post
With turkeys it doesn't bother them at all. I don't hunt as much out of one now since the kids are older, but we used to hunt a bunch out of a blind. Like mentioned above you can put it out right in the middle of the field and 2 min later you can call them in.

Now with deer that is another story.
Yup. The birds are not at all spooked to an unfamiliar blind in a field like deer would be. You could park a caboose smack in the middle of a cornfield where the turkeys normally gather and they would feed right around it like it's no big deal.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page