Turkey numbers statewide - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-10-2019, 11:15 AM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Turkey numbers statewide

Are you all seeing good numbers of Turkeys because I hunted and hiked for 6 miles on State Game lands 121 in southern huntingdon county and saw no birds and no scratchings and acorns were spotty...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-10-2019, 11:22 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Most of my hunting is done in the southern part of Huntingdon county as well. The main property I hunt used to be loaded with turkeys and we would see or hear them the majority of times we were in the woods. Over the last three years, I have seen very few turkeys or turkey sign. I have seen an increase in predators there (coyote, bear, fisher, bobcat) so I think this certainly plays a factor into why the turkeys may not be hanging around there currently. I'm hoping it is not a sign of declining turkey populations in that region.
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-10-2019, 11:24 AM

Good in my neck of the woods. In the last 3 weeks saw a flock of 24 & 17. Also heard flocks two other times at different locations and several scratchings. No acorns here though...

NRA Benefactor Member
NWTF Member
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-10-2019, 11:25 AM

Most of the young ones I raised this year were killed by hawks, when they were young. Most of the wild ones in my area are probably killed the same way, but a few years ago an owl killed three half grown ones in one night, on the neighbors property. An increase in predators, will result in more prey being eaten. Then you have the increase in bobcats , fisher and coyotes. All these predators have to be eating something. Did see on TV the other day some town had a lot of turkeys in the town. Not hard to figure out that, that may be because of less predation in town. While rabbit hunting in the late winter we find a few that are taken off the roost by owls, usually hens.
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-10-2019, 11:25 AM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Usually GL 121 has a lot of turkeys so I thought the acorn production was one of the issues...Just wondering what others are seeing in other parts of the state...
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-10-2019, 11:55 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I'm in 4B and have a flock of 13 a mile out the road and that's it. Nothing around were I hunt.
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-10-2019, 12:13 PM
Frequent Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by NittanyBearcat View Post
Most of my hunting is done in the southern part of Huntingdon county as well. The main property I hunt used to be loaded with turkeys and we would see or hear them the majority of times we were in the woods. Over the last three years, I have seen very few turkeys or turkey sign. I have seen an increase in predators there (coyote, bear, fisher, bobcat) so I think this certainly plays a factor into why the turkeys may not be hanging around there currently. I'm hoping it is not a sign of declining turkey populations in that region.
I hunt 4D around state college and this has been my experience as well. I used to see/hear birds all archery season and I have only heard birds once this fall and seen 1 lone hen.

I’ve seen more bears then usual and getting many coyotes on trail cameras

One Shot...One Kill
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-10-2019, 08:44 PM

I think the burgeoning raccoon population is a problem in my area. I know all of those other animals kill turkeys as well, but it's kind of random. I've never personally witnessed any of them killing turkeys, but I have seen raccoons destroy entire clutches several times.
fall gobbler likes this.
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-10-2019, 08:58 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

I think it is time to cut the second gobbler tag and drop the spring season by a week... We also have had several very wet springs...
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-11-2019, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burk313 View Post
I think it is time to cut the second gobbler tag and drop the spring season by a week... We also have had several very wet springs...
Or take away the total protection that some predators have, and control the predators based on their numbers, like most other game. Predators kill all year long, day and night, man has a very short season. This may also bring back our small game numbers. The protect the predator ploy, is just a tactic used by anti hunters to reduce prey numbers to the point, that man stops hunting. How many people hunt wild pheasants in PA, probably few, hawks and owls made it impossible for them to survive here, even when they tried to reintroduce them. Many of our fall turkey seasons have already been shortened, with the result still being turkey numbers going down. With fishers, hawks, owls, eagles, fox, coyote, bobcat, and many more predators, a turkey has a hard time surviving. Then factor in the wet springs.
pchunter1231 and Asajoe1 like this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page