Fall Gobblers - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-05-2019, 07:54 PM Thread Starter

Fall Gobblers

Ok...so I have never really hunted for turkey in the fall, too many other seasons. So I have been archery hunting for deer and have seen a small flock of 5 longbeards several times now. We'll this evening, I watched them roost. I'm hunting a steep river hill, several hundred yards down to a river with a few near level areas along the hillside.

So now my questions....how exactly do you call gobblers in the fall? I'd imagine that the kee kee stuff would be for poults. I'm kinda leery of breaking them up off the roost because they will probably sale way down the hill or even across the river. They are roosted at the very top.

So how would you turkey guru's handle this situation?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-05-2019, 08:24 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

I think if it was me I would set up right where they flew up from. I would refrain from calling.
If they fly down and are close to you, you may hear a couple clucks or yelps from the birds trying to locate each other and that may be your opportunity to draw one in. If I had to guess they won't make a peep at all.
I have heard of success with breaking up gobbler flocks but I think it's a lot less dramatic than what you would expect of a flock of hens and poults. Patience would be the key.
I'm no turkey guru by any means just my thoughts on it.
stinkbait likes this.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-05-2019, 08:55 PM

Woodsman I would say your thoughts are right on. I believe they will fly down in the morning and probably get together my sight or perhaps a call or two at most, but it will take a lot of luck to call to them to your location as I believe old gobblers by nature prefer to be loners.

I would not attempt any of the Spring tactics or calls, if none of them fly down within range but do make a signal call to see if one answers. I would call back with the same call they make one time and wait like Woodsman said patience.

If all fails I would not spook them but make every effort to see which direction when go, return the following evening close enough to hear them fly up, then return the next morning and set up in the area they traveled from roost the prior morning and I would make no calls or use no decoys.

Hunting old gobblers in the fall is a very difficult challenge particularly a group of 5 wise old gobblers which have as their highest priority staying alive.

Good luck with a little luck and time wisely spent you can do this....Good luck.

NRA Benefactor Member
NWTF Member
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-05-2019, 10:44 PM
Frequent Contributor

You can hunt them like deer as suggested, its a great tactic. But I wouldn't be afraid to break them up. May take better part of the day to regroup, but eventually they will. Coarse gobbler yelps and hollow clucks will get the job done as one or two may come back in to the break site in the first hour. As mentioned, one of the hardest and most challenging hunts available to PA hunters.

"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-06-2019, 06:31 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Certainly a fun challenge. A lot depends on the area and how thick or open it is. If it's open, like most of the guys said, you pretty much need to get where you think they're going and wait them out. If it's thicker, to the point where they can't see real far, definitely Gobbler cluck and yelp to them. If you can master it, gobbling with some fighting purrs thrown in works the best IMHO.

Your 90% there by "finding" them!

GOBBLE THIS!!!
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-06-2019, 09:35 AM Thread Starter

Well....all intention was to go turkey hunting this morning. Had the shotgun in the car along with the bow. When I pulled in the driveway of the property owner, there was a real nice buck standing in it. I knew if I grabbed the shotgun, I'd see deer....so I grabbed the bow instead, and here I sit in the treestand.
.257 likes this.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-06-2019, 09:06 PM

Now an old gobbler with a bow is quite an accomplishment.... I have see them roost in the same general area for days.

NRA Benefactor Member
NWTF Member
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-08-2019, 10:11 PM

Are they roosting in the same area every night? If so, I'd try to be close to the roost in the morning or at sundown, possibly you could cut them off coming or going. A rifle is legal in the fall in most parts of the state, that might be the right tool if your woods are open enough. If you know where they are scratching & eating, that may be another option for an ambush, especially if you know what time of the day they visit the area. If you do decide to cold call, I would just use clucks & and an occasional slow deep yelp, it's worth a try.

If you decide to break them, I'd try & let them get down off the mountain a way first. Scattered gobblers usually take a few hours to group back up, and they don't usually call a lot like hens & poults do. I wouldn't whistle or kee-kee unless they do that first, stick to deep clucks & slow yelps. The old adage that it's easier to call a bird up a hill than down one is mostly true.

Here is a bird I helped a buddy get opening day, my dog scattered a flock and we called this one in after a couple hours. Classic fall gobbler hunt, they snuck in quietly from every direction, this was the only one that showed himself.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 74960250_1239165959616906_7901442529768243200_n.jpg (241.2 KB, 10 views)
Loggy, fall gobbler, TBrom and 2 others like this.

Catch & release is for guys who don't know how to cook
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-09-2019, 06:58 AM

If you know where they roost most every night, then go to that spot around 2 or 3 in the afternoon set up and wait, do some calling every now and then. They will come, some will fly in and some will walk in. Pick out a big one and let him have it.....Good Luck....

If you don`t stand behind our Troops,
Please feel free to stand in front of them....
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-09-2019, 07:02 AM

Nice Uncle Nicky, just goes to show ya ….Even a blind guy can do it......That is a fine looking hound you have there for sure.

If you don`t stand behind our Troops,
Please feel free to stand in front of them....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page