Clean Bore vs Dirty Bore - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-25-2019, 02:39 PM Thread Starter
The Man

Clean Bore vs Dirty Bore

I'd imagine no matter what kinda shot you're shooting it could make a difference in patterns. I've always started with a clean bore when patterning for turkey and maybe shoot 5 shots but I've never checked on how a dirty bore might pattern. Course there's some guys who clean their bore between each shot.
Anyone ever try this clean bore vs dirty bore test?

I've spent most of my money on Waterfowling, Women and Whiskey.
The rest of my money I just wasted.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-25-2019, 05:17 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I would never imagine a shotgun would shoot better with a dirty bore. I not only clean mine but polish it as well. Me and my two sons all shoot 870s and they all shoot much better with a clean bore. Of course, a dead turkey is a dead turkey
bohunr and Potter Co. Joe like this.

GOBBLE THIS!!!
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-26-2019, 09:24 AM

After shooting several block guns, and hunting guns I have found each gun is different. I have seen guns that shoot tight with an oily barrel. If you try this make sure your chamber is dry.
beagler and Dogface like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-26-2019, 09:30 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Not sure about my shotguns but I have a 17 HMR that shoots better dirty. Go figure.
Dogface likes this.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-26-2019, 07:51 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I guess it doesn't matter one way or the other. mine are usually clean ,but sometimes slightly dirty . didn't see much differenc
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-26-2019, 09:21 PM

Without a doubt I have rifles that shoot better dirty. In fact when I'm testing loads I foul the barrel before I test. I never gave it any thought with a shotgun. I can't imagine it having a profound effect with shot patterns.
Laylow likes this.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-26-2019, 11:03 PM

I doubt it makes any significant difference with a shotgun. I always fire a shot from my rifles to check that they are sighted in before the season then I don't clean the bore again until after the season. I have found that the first shot from a clean rifle bore sometimes doesn't have the same point of impact as the following shots.

Dick Bodenhorn
bohunr, Dogface, octagon and 1 others like this.

Last edited by R. S. B.; 09-26-2019 at 11:08 PM.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-29-2019, 10:50 AM
The Man

I shoot reloads and I shoot thousands of clays each year. Almost all the wads I use are Claybuster because they are the cheapest. Claybuster wads leave plastic residue in some choke tubes. I have scrapped out and measured some of the material while cleaning the choke tubes. Some of the pieces have been .008" to .010" thick. I have never patterned the SG with dirty choke tubes but that thickness of wad plastic would have to affect the pattern.

As for dirty bores vs clean bores in rifles it depends on the gun. I've seen both extremes.

Last edited by Dogface; 09-29-2019 at 01:31 PM.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-29-2019, 12:44 PM

My shotguns get cleaned before dove season (1Sep) and again at the end of quail season (9Feb). Rifles get cleaned and sighted-in during Sep for predators and big game will not see a rod again until Feb.

I carry a gun because I'm to young to die and to old to take a ass whipping.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-29-2019, 01:06 PM

What you are looking at is very similar to what the block shooters are working on. Clean barrel and dirty barrel, and any other different barrel conditions will make a difference in different guns. Shooting turkey patterns is different than shooting patterns for most small game. Lines in barrel, forcing cone, no forcing cone, barrel diameter, choke length and diameter, dirty or clean barrel all can be factors, in the gun. Then you have all the variations in ammo. I once shot a block gun, that shot good, for a few shots with a fresh coat of spray paint sprayed down the barrel and left to dry. What I have seen is many times when you get one shooting real tight by using a tight choke, you can loose some consistency in point of impact, when shooting on paper, on game you would probably not even notice.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page