Pocono Turkeys - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 06:31 AM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Pocono Turkeys

For all the guys that hunt the "Poconos" in Pike, Monroe, Carbon mainly, what's your assessment of the turkey population. I haven't hunted there for a few years, but the guys I'm in contact with and very good turkey hunters are very concerned at the lack of birds.

What have you seen and what's your opinion?

GOBBLE THIS!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 07:09 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I have heard that and also think there other counties in the state are experiencing similar concerns.

Full Fans, Longbeards, and Sharp Spurs
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 07:20 AM
Part of the Community

Turkey numbers are way down this year and have been on a steady decline the last 10 years in the Pocono region. I've commented many times on this subject in previous posts if you want to go back and look through them. But in a nutshell yes turkeys are in big trouble in the Poconos region and I hope they can rebound soon! This season was the least amount of gobbling, turkey sign and turkey numbers I've seen yet! I even placed a call with our turkey biologist Mary Jo expressing my concerns as many other hunters are about continuously decreasing turkey population in and around pocono region
MQ-1 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 08:16 AM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA Hunter/Trapper View Post
Turkey numbers are way down this year and have been on a steady decline the last 10 years in the Pocono region. I've commented many times on this subject in previous posts if you want to go back and look through them. But in a nutshell yes turkeys are in big trouble in the Poconos region and I hope they can rebound soon! This season was the least amount of gobbling, turkey sign and turkey numbers I've seen yet! I even placed a call with our turkey biologist Mary Jo expressing my concerns as many other hunters are about continuously decreasing turkey population in and around pocono region

Your observations echo the guys I've talked to. The one guy I talked to last night has been hunting turkeys since the first spring season and is heavily involved in everything turkey hunting. He knows the Poconos like the back of his hand and hunted every day of the season. He thinks they're nearly gone. He also called Mary Jo to voice his concerns.

GOBBLE THIS!!!
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 08:19 AM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

These recent wet springs have done damage to turkey and grouse, no doubt, but they were noticeably declining way before that.
Potter Co. Joe likes this.

GOBBLE THIS!!!
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 11:05 AM
Part of the Community

Quote:
Originally Posted by fall gobbler View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA Hunter/Trapper View Post

Your observations echo the guys I've talked to. The one guy I talked to last night has been hunting turkeys since the first spring season and is heavily involved in everything turkey hunting. He knows the Poconos like the back of his hand and hunted every day of the season. He thinks they're nearly gone. He also called Mary Jo to voice his concerns.
I've also grown up and lived and hunted in the Poconos my whole life. I've been turkey hunting some of the same pieces of woods for 40 years! I take a week's vacation every spring turkey season and spend every possible moment I can spring turkey hunting! I trap, mushroom hunt, archery etc etc. So I am in the woods all year around poconos and the Turkey numbers are way down!! I wish they would close The Fall season for a few years or really shorten the season or have a gobbler only fall hunt like Florida does! With all the obstacles up against the turkeys we need to help them where we can! Especially that it seems like wet springs are going to be the norm anymore!! I already find myself telling my son stories of the how great the turkey hunting used to be!!! I remember the mornings were there was so many turkeys gobbling you didn't know which way to go or which one to setup on!!! In the poconos expect for maybe a few private spots and housing developments those days are gone!
Rabbit Runner and BillHjr like this.

Last edited by PA Hunter/Trapper; 06-26-2019 at 11:07 AM.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-05-2019, 08:54 AM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

I really think that shutting down the fall season (in some areas) might be something to think about. And I say that as someone who loves the fall season almost as much as the spring.

GOBBLE THIS!!!
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-05-2019, 09:03 AM
tdd
Super Moderator

For those interested, Steven Rinella had a woman from the NWTF on his podcast... I think episode 173, but look and you’ll find it.

She was very informative and addressed this issue with some research and detail.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-05-2019, 10:07 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Even when you find 'em; they go quiet.

Second Friday this spring, had one gobbling behind the cabin.

Well before first light I'm standing in front of the camp as he shock gobbles to the few cars and trucks on the blacktop all hitting that one hard bump...

Walked out back a bit. stuck my decoy in the ground and retreated to a nice tree with a good view and listened to him gobble for a good 40 min thinking they have to be down now...

One call, just one call and the woods gets totally quiet like his harem gagged him and drug him off...

only bird I heard all season.

I remember hearing birds, near and far, every morning. Now maybe that far off noise was one....not so sure.

4th Generation @ Kamp.

3D - There are STILL a few deer left! You need to pry them out of the developments!

Last edited by wis bang; 07-05-2019 at 10:09 AM.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-05-2019, 01:50 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by fall gobbler View Post
These recent wet springs have done damage to turkey and grouse, no doubt, but they were noticeably declining way before that.
Spot on, Pa just had 2 of the wettest springs on record.

Potter County
Gods Country USA

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page