May 31. - Page 2 - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 35Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-31-2019, 08:42 PM

I started the morning where I had been hearing and working birds this week. By 7:00 am I hadn't heard a thing so I was on the bike and headed deeper into the game lands. I stopped and called at all the hot spots but didn't hear a thing. I had a spot I was going to post and call from for a while if I didn't get one to respond before I got there. It is a nice set up spot where turkeys tend to cross through a couple food plots between two strips of woods.

At 7:50 I had just ditched the bike, grabbed my decoy and seat off the bike basket and had about ten yards to go to where I was going to slip in beside a small pine tree and set up. Crap, I look out in the food plot and there are already turkeys in the field a hundred yards away. One is bigger than the others so I suspect it is probably a gobbler. I am not even going to get my decoy set so I just lay it down and slowly slip into my hiding spot. They turkeys saw me moving but didn't really spook. They just moved a little further out the food plot and started feeding again.

I was setup and the four birds were still there. I called to let them know I was there but they just kept feeding on out the food plot until by a little after 8:00 they were out of sight.

I call once in a while but got no answers. Ok what is that dark spot at the far end of the food plot? Yep it is a turkey. Ok here come three more. The same four birds I had seen earlier but now they are feeding toward me. The only problem is they are still almost three hundred yards away. I called to let them know I was out there. When they got to about 250 yards the big one goes into full strut. He has a nice full fan so he is a shooter if I can get him close enough.

They continued to feed toward me until they were about 175 yards with the long beard the closest. He is definitely interested in the hen he hears but is reluctant to leave the hens he already has. Ok, now were in business. Another one just gobbled out beyond where these ones are. Must be on the other side of the strip of woods in the other food plots. Maybe we can get a little competition between two gobblers to see which one can get to the hen first.

An hour has passed and they are going to cross the closed game lands road into another food plot where I will not be able to see them. Maybe I can call aggressively and get eh hens to come my way. The gobbler gobbles for the first time. I haven't heard that other gobbler again. Just that one gobble from each bird and just like that it goes silent.

I waited there another hour and half hoping one of them would show up but nothing. If I had the patience to wait all day I suspect one of them would have showed up but I have other things to get done on the only day it isn't raining. I left with the knowledge that I had a good season. Bird numbers were certainly down but I had my share of action and harvested one good bird. I am satisfied.

I left there and went a sprayed the rest of the food plots were will be planting row crops in over the next few weeks if it ever dries out enough to do the planting.

Another satisfying aspect was that while I was working those turkeys I was watching and listening to a nice pheasant rooster crowing. We will now be busy getting more habitat on the ground for him and others that survived the winter as well as those that will get stocked this fall.

Life is good.

Dick Bodenhorn
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-01-2019, 07:36 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I know a lot of very good turkey hunters here in Eastern/ n. Eastern Pa. that had a very tough season. Very low numbers of birds and very, very silent woods made for what many diehard hunters described as "worst season by far" that they've ever experienced.

GOBBLE THIS!!!
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-01-2019, 09:02 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by fall gobbler View Post
I know a lot of very good turkey hunters here in Eastern/ n. Eastern Pa. that had a very tough season. Very low numbers of birds and very, very silent woods made for what many diehard hunters described as "worst season by far" that they've ever experienced.
I’ve heard and even seen a lot of gobblers before the season, especially good longbeards. I’ve went to those areas and didn’t hear a peep out of any of them the whole season. I’ve called in a couple only to have something go wrong. I guess it wasn’t my season, but I know they were there.

My name is Moss and i'm a turkey huntin' addict

I'm itchin' to see a red fox twitchin!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-01-2019, 09:23 AM Thread Starter

I found birds where I usually find them, just not as many or as vocal.

Hunting: 10% skill and 90% location.
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-01-2019, 09:33 AM

I hunted every day but 5 this spring. The only day i heard any gobbling was the first day and i was debating even going out with the high wind. I heard 3 long beards together and harvested a double bearded 22 pounder. I put on a lot of miles on my feet and traveled to many different areas that usually hold birds. Saw only 2 hens the whole season and very little sign. I might not buy a second tag next year. The turkey population needs to rebound. The last 2 years has been the worst spring turkey season that i can remember. Very quiet. I know a good many die hard great turkey hunters that didn't hear a peep all season. I hunt private and public. I live in farm country and have not seen a bird all season in the fields and have yet to see a poult in the last 2 years.
fall gobbler likes this.

4B
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-01-2019, 06:32 PM
New Arrival

R.S.B.

I don't hunt the big woods anymore due to health reasons so its always good to hear stories from Elk County. Thanks for sharing your season.

DUKMAN
R. S. B. likes this.
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-01-2019, 07:44 PM

Congrats to those that stuck it out till the bitter end. Our camp in 3C had a rough go of it after the opener, but we had a ton of action the last two weeks... several birds taken, a few misses and a fair amount of vocal birds. I didn't feel that we had a significant decrease in the population, but then again, there's a fair amount of birds up there to begin with. My two hunts in 5A, on the youth hunt and second Saturday, were definitely disappointing, but we had bad weather on those days so i'm not sure if it was a product of that, or a decrease in birds.

I'm playing the catch-up game on sleep and chores around the house, but it won't be long before I'm counting down the days until next April. I'll miss it, that's for sure.

"Well boy, you ain't gonna git nothin' layin' in that bed." ~My ol' man
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-01-2019, 11:40 PM

Congrats to all that scored and the ones who slugged it out to the end. No bird taken but an exciting season it was. 2 Coyotes taken. 2 bears seen coming in to check my decoys. Most of the gobblers were vocal at dawn then shutdown after fly down all season long. Time to get to work on the house and plan for next year.
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-09-2019, 10:02 PM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckloaf View Post
Yes hunting hayfields is impossible at this time of year. Concentrate efforts in pasture fields where the cows keep the grass down is like a magnet for those gobblers. I saw 4 longbeards yesterday strutting with hens and 2 more this morning in different pasture fields.
Yep.That,s what I was doin .My pastures are so large and vast though made it tough cause those Buggars kept switchin up on me and were about impossible to pattern.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page