May 29th - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 13Likes
  • 3 Post By R. S. B.
  • 9 Post By Borden811
  • 1 Post By Juniata4ever

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 01:24 PM Thread Starter

May 29th

Must be the majority have called it quits.

I went to a set up where I would be able to see where the gobbler liked to stand and gobble yesterday. I wish I had just gone to the same spot I was in yesterday because that is where he went this morning. I heard the hen answering between him and me. Then when he got to where she was calling from he went silent never to be heard again. I stuck it out until 1030, about three and half hours after his last gobble, then headed out.

I'll be back after him again tomorrow. I wonder what tactic and approach he will fool me with tomorrow? I wish that hen would get on her nest and stay there.

Dick Bodenhorn
Six-Gun, Regul8r1 and Juniata4ever like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 01:35 PM

Way to stay after em’ !!
I’m sure you have tried many different things, but what about setting up halfway between both spots? Or maybe deploy a tail fan on a peg near the decoy or something like that. It’s getting down to the wire, something crazy may work?

"Enjoy the solitude of the great outdoors, where you are alone but never lonely"--William Conrad
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 02:35 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Potter Co- there's still 4 longbeards on the one property i hunt. they were talking good today. smart birds though, they come into the call up to about 60-70 yards and then flank me all the time. today 3 went to my right and unknown to me one flanked to my left and sounded off about 20-25yds away. couldnt get the gun on him. let them go passed out about 200 yards, relocated, called them back in mostly, but same thing, they get close then start walking sideways just out of range intending for the 'hen' to come the rest of the way. let them walk away, relocate, call one back and same deal. they're on to me!

2 days left, but if nothing else, should be some good hooks to chase next year.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 03:01 PM

RSB, keep after him, don't let up on him, I predict you will get your shot by Fri. on this guy. Stay sharp and kill him.

A squakin' turkey don't live long
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 07:17 PM

I'm back to work.....and don't have the desire to get up and hunt before work.... catching up on sleep now. My body seems to need it.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 08:12 PM
Part of the Community

I tip my hat to you guys still grinding
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 08:42 PM
The Man

It’s been a long season for me. I can’t remember ever having a tag this late in the game. I fell into the trap of hunting one particular bird after I cut feathers off of him with my bow twice the the same morning early in the second week, and it ate me up. I gave several other long beards a pass because of it. Tonight I evened the score and killed him at 39 yards, mid gobble, with a load of tss 9s. Time to have a beer or two before I attack the honey do list the next couple of days. I’ve got some catching up to do!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg D0C9E12C-CE12-4BA6-888A-8E079F813E4A_1559176964987.jpg (1.64 MB, 21 views)

I think I'm an alright guy, I think I'm alright
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-30-2019, 05:19 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Last evening in J county I got home from work and my son and I decided to take a quick walk up the mountain before the storms hit. We didn't git to far and it started to thunder. Low and behold a gobbler started to git wound up at the thunder. We closed the distance and got set up, I made a call and 3 different birds went nuts. The one was quadruple gobbling every time I called. The woods is really thick rite now, tough to see very far where we were at. The storm was on us, it was lightening pretty bad starting to rain. The birds were prolly within 40 yards and still gobblin hard. Then it started, I thought it was the start of a tornado, the trees were laying over limbs snapping off and rainin like a monsoon. My son looked at me and said I think its time to go. The birds never did come into sight but thats the only gobbles we herd since the 1st day on the mountain. We still have 2 days left, hopefully we can git back on them.....
steelhead125 likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page