Poult mortality - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-29-2019, 01:27 AM Thread Starter

Poult mortality

As an example of how fragile poults are: We had 59 poults in the 2nd hatch on the 24th May. They were all doing great before the storm. We lost power for the heat lamps at 7:45 and I suspect they were frightened by the thunder and with no light some of them got wet from the waterer. At 8:15 I went to check on them. 13 poults were hyperthermic and not far from death. The one that looked the best was warmed and dried over a candle and he made it so far. Lost 12 poults tonight. I put the others into the truck with the heater on full blast. Once the rest of the clutch warmed they got quiet and I knew they would be ok. Power came back on at 11:30 and they are all doing well. The first hatch of 13 are now 14 days old and handled the chill just fine but didn't get wet.

I can not imagine a clutch surviving the gully washer we had tonight. I predict many late clutches this summer as most 1st hatches are happening now. We had 7 rounds of heavy storm this evening and still pouring. I pity the mother hens tonight.

The difference between dreamers and achievers is action.
One try is worth a thousand guesses.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-29-2019, 01:29 AM Thread Starter

How do the Amish brood chicks with no power? Gas heaters?

Old 05-29-2019, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kip Feroce View Post
How do the Amish brood chicks with no power? Gas heaters?
Run generators in their barns.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-29-2019, 07:55 AM

Yesterday- last night was a washout here in Butler County. The critters in my woods were all working together to build an arc.
Old 05-29-2019, 08:16 AM

Getting wet will kill young animals. Even domestic goslings that do not have feathers, will die if they get soaked, and are not under heat. Takes alot to get them soaked, not like just swimming. A mother that keeps the poults covered, from getting wet should be fine. Guineas keets are really water sensitive for the first two weeks.
Old 05-29-2019, 01:10 PM

Wet weather is in deed very harmful to the turkey poults. But, when the poults are small enough to all fit under the hen she will brood them and most will be fine as long as she doesn't have to leave them for more than a short period of time. That is why it is important not to disturb a hen with poults any more than you have to. It is when they get big enough they can't all fit under her that she is most likely to lose some of them to hypothermia.

I learned that from Roger Latham about forty-five years ago.

Dick Bodenhorn
nomad_archer likes this.
Old 05-30-2019, 11:23 AM
Part of the Community

After hunting season when the store do clearance sales on hand warmers. I buy them up and have put them in with the peeps when there is power outages and remove the water. I even put a piece of insulation board over the box. It has saved my tail more then once. I use to buy and sell reptiles and we would ship them with hand warmers.
OAWC likes this.
Old 07-10-2019, 05:17 AM

2E I'd say is close to a total poult kill....maybe the July Aug renest will work..
Old 07-10-2019, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6-DASHER View Post
2E I'd say is close to a total poult kill....maybe the July Aug renest will work..
If a turkey loses its poults they don't renest. They only renest if they have lost the eggs due to nest predation or other nest disturbance. Once they have eggs that have hatched they are generally done nesting for the season. There could be a very rare exception to that rule but it would be extremely unlikely.

Dick Bodenhorn
jimbridger likes this.
Old 07-10-2019, 09:59 AM Thread Starter

One of my hens just hatched her second clutch of 13 on the 4th of July. 1st hatch was may 12th. This time she won't take her eyes off them and roosts on top of the brooder pen above them.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in