• 1 Post By Moss
  • 1 Post By cspot
  • 1 Post By xarcher
  • 1 Post By limbhnger10

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-28-2019, 11:07 AM Thread Starter

May 28th

Didn't anyone else hunt today?

I was going to head to the big woods this morning after hunting food plot birds the previous three mornings. But, when I got up it was pouring down rain. I decided to go to the food plots again this morning for two reasons.

One reason is I can hear better in the fields where the rain isn't beating on the leaves and the other reason I am close to the vehicle for when the real heavy rain drives me out.

By the time I got there the rain had stopped so I headed out a short distance and set up at a likely looking spot.

Just about gobbling time a log truck came in the game lands road so that kind of wrecked any chance of hearing one on the roost. Then a Jeep came in as far as allowed and stopped to owl hoot at a few stops along the road and after not hearing anything turned around and left, thankfully.

About 10 minutes after the Jeep left one gobbled not far from the road where he had hooted from. Then that set another one off a ways behind me. I figured they were both a little too far for me to bring in but decided to stay put and try it. It wasn't long after fly down that a hen came to visit.

Now there are two birds gobbling behind me, one to the right and one to the left. They both been gobbling pretty good for a half hour so I decide to move closer to the one to my left rear.

I stand up to take a wiz before moving and one gobbles about a hundred yards out in front of me. I am sure he is on the game lands road. Ok I am back in business from where I am. If he just comes up the road fifty yards and cuts in through some black locust and an small opening we are golden. It seems like the most logical approach for him.

Nope he standing out there on the road gobbling. I can also hear that darn hen, probably the same one that visited me earlier, answering me. She is with him. Oh well, maybe I can get her to come visit again and bring him along.

Oh darn it, I hear a vehicle crunching the gravel coming up the hill. It is that stinking Jeep again. I can also hear the thunder coming closer from the other direction. I pulled my phone out and checked the weather map. The heavy rain is getting close and I don't see a break for a good while. I decided to head for the truck. I got there just as the sky opened up dumping heavy rain. I thought about waiting it out but a check of the radar shows very few breaks in the rain for hours. I headed for home.

Hopefully those birds will be there again tomorrow. I will adjust my set up location a bit though tomorrow morning.

Dick Bodenhorn.
LONZO and limbhnger10 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-28-2019, 11:19 AM

Good luck Dick. Hope you have better conditions tomorrow. Sounds like the birds are still sounding off. I haven't heard the big old gobbler behind my house for a week now, but seeing young rabbits.

NRA Benefactor Member
NWTF Member
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-28-2019, 12:18 PM
The Man

I made it out today. Wasn’t really feeling it this morning because of the weather forecast. Didn’t want to get caught way back in during a thunderstorm. Anyhow got to my planned spot about 30 minutes late but was hearing gobbling there last week around 8:30 so I wasn’t too concerned. Found a good tree to sit under and made a few calls with no response. Then the rain came and lasted for about 30 minutes. I decided to tough it out and ended up hearing a gooble up the mountain about 200 yards behind me as the rain began to let up. Every 15 minutes or so I would hear a gobble from that general location. I could also tell there was more than one up there. My issue was it was a steep climb and thick. I also have never explored up there and wasn’t sure I could set up without spooking them. What I was hoping for was for them to either make their way down to me or have a different bird come in to my location. Well another 30 minutes went by and they were still up there talking. Figured there must be a strut zone up there somewhere so I bit the bullet and started the climb which ended up not being nearly as bad as I thought. When I got near the top it all made sense to me when I found a nice logging road that I was sure the gobbling was coming from. Sat down, made a call and got a response about 150 yards out. Call again and two hammered back at me. Made one more call and they were on their way. A few moments later I hear a loud gobble and a red head appears up over the small hill in front of me 35 yards out . Slam dunk shot so I let him have it. Didn’t see the bird go down though and next thing I know there are 4 gobblers running down the hill then taking flight. I was sick to my stomach thinking I missed such an easy shot. Stood up and walked over to where I shot and the one I shot at was laying there. Ended up calling in 5 gobblers. The one I shot is a pretty nice mountain bird. Beard was just shy of 10 inches but it was thick. Spurs just over a inch. Gizzard was filled with locusts. Had to walk close to a mile with most of the journey uphill. Walk out is kind of rough as it is without having to sling a dead turkey over your shoulder. Always seem to have my best action the last couple weeks of the season for whatever reason.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 81FE4505-7A94-4A65-98E2-BA2E7964A6E1.jpeg (1.16 MB, 36 views)

Darton DS-3800
Public Land Hunter

Last edited by steelhead125; 05-28-2019 at 12:24 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-28-2019, 12:32 PM
Regular Visitor

Spent Friday, Saturday, & Monday this past weekend hunting big woods at camp. Never heard a gobble. Got home from camp last evening. This morning getting into truck to go to work I hear a gobble behind my house. May get to work late tomorrow morning!
steelhead125 likes this.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-28-2019, 01:17 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelhead125 View Post
Walk out is kind of rough as it is without having to sling a dead turkey over your shoulder.
Yeah, but isn't that the best kind of rough? Congrats!
Turkeyman and steelhead125 like this.

GOBBLE THIS!!!
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-28-2019, 07:08 PM

Quote:
The one I shot is a pretty nice mountain bird. Beard was just shy of 10 inches but it was thick. .
Great late season bird my friend. Congrats!
steelhead125 likes this.

I support all hunters, regardless of weapon or technique!
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-28-2019, 07:49 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
I made it out today. Wasn’t really feeling it this morning because of the weather forecast. Didn’t want to get caught way back in during a thunderstorm. Anyhow got to my planned spot about 30 minutes late but was hearing gobbling there last week around 8:30 so I wasn’t too concerned. Found a good tree to sit under and made a few calls with no response. Then the rain came and lasted for about 30 minutes. I decided to tough it out and ended up hearing a gooble up the mountain about 200 yards behind me as the rain began to let up. Every 15 minutes or so I would hear a gobble from that general location. I could also tell there was more than one up there. My issue was it was a steep climb and thick. I also have never explored up there and wasn’t sure I could set up without spooking them. What I was hoping for was for them to either make their way down to me or have a different bird come in to my location. Well another 30 minutes went by and they were still up there talking. Figured there must be a strut zone up there somewhere so I bit the bullet and started the climb which ended up not being nearly as bad as I thought. When I got near the top it all made sense to me when I found a nice logging road that I was sure the gobbling was coming from. Sat down, made a call and got a response about 150 yards out. Call again and two hammered back at me. Made one more call and they were on their way. A few moments later I hear a loud gobble and a red head appears up over the small hill in front of me 35 yards out . Slam dunk shot so I let him have it. Didn’t see the bird go down though and next thing I know there are 4 gobblers running down the hill then taking flight. I was sick to my stomach thinking I missed such an easy shot. Stood up and walked over to where I shot and the one I shot at was laying there. Ended up calling in 5 gobblers. The one I shot is a pretty nice mountain bird. Beard was just shy of 10 inches but it was thick. Spurs just over a inch. Gizzard was filled with locusts. Had to walk close to a mile with most of the journey uphill. Walk out is kind of rough as it is without having to sling a dead turkey over your shoulder. Always seem to have my best action the last couple weeks of the season for whatever reason.
Congrats steelhead, nice bird!!
steelhead125 likes this.

My name is Moss and i'm a turkey huntin' addict

I'm itchin' to see a red fox twitchin!
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-28-2019, 08:53 PM

Quote:
I made it out today. Wasnít really feeling it this morning because of the weather forecast. Didnít want to get caught way back in during a thunderstorm. Anyhow got to my planned spot about 30 minutes late but was hearing gobbling there last week around 8:30 so I wasnít too concerned. Found a good tree to sit under and made a few calls with no response. Then the rain came and lasted for about 30 minutes. I decided to tough it out and ended up hearing a gooble up the mountain about 200 yards behind me as the rain began to let up. Every 15 minutes or so I would hear a gobble from that general location. I could also tell there was more than one up there. My issue was it was a steep climb and thick. I also have never explored up there and wasnít sure I could set up without spooking them. What I was hoping for was for them to either make their way down to me or have a different bird come in to my location. Well another 30 minutes went by and they were still up there talking. Figured there must be a strut zone up there somewhere so I bit the bullet and started the climb which ended up not being nearly as bad as I thought. When I got near the top it all made sense to me when I found a nice logging road that I was sure the gobbling was coming from. Sat down, made a call and got a response about 150 yards out. Call again and two hammered back at me. Made one more call and they were on their way. A few moments later I hear a loud gobble and a red head appears up over the small hill in front of me 35 yards out . Slam dunk shot so I let him have it. Didnít see the bird go down though and next thing I know there are 4 gobblers running down the hill then taking flight. I was sick to my stomach thinking I missed such an easy shot. Stood up and walked over to where I shot and the one I shot at was laying there. Ended up calling in 5 gobblers. The one I shot is a pretty nice mountain bird. Beard was just shy of 10 inches but it was thick. Spurs just over a inch. Gizzard was filled with locusts. Had to walk close to a mile with most of the journey uphill. Walk out is kind of rough as it is without having to sling a dead turkey over your shoulder. Always seem to have my best action the last couple weeks of the season for whatever reason.
Congrats Steel!!
steelhead125 likes this.

Traditions only last if you pass them down to your kids!
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 03:44 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Quote:
I made it out today. Wasnít really feeling it this morning because of the weather forecast. Didnít want to get caught way back in during a thunderstorm. Anyhow got to my planned spot about 30 minutes late but was hearing gobbling there last week around 8:30 so I wasnít too concerned. Found a good tree to sit under and made a few calls with no response. Then the rain came and lasted for about 30 minutes. I decided to tough it out and ended up hearing a gooble up the mountain about 200 yards behind me as the rain began to let up. Every 15 minutes or so I would hear a gobble from that general location. I could also tell there was more than one up there. My issue was it was a steep climb and thick. I also have never explored up there and wasnít sure I could set up without spooking them. What I was hoping for was for them to either make their way down to me or have a different bird come in to my location. Well another 30 minutes went by and they were still up there talking. Figured there must be a strut zone up there somewhere so I bit the bullet and started the climb which ended up not being nearly as bad as I thought. When I got near the top it all made sense to me when I found a nice logging road that I was sure the gobbling was coming from. Sat down, made a call and got a response about 150 yards out. Call again and two hammered back at me. Made one more call and they were on their way. A few moments later I hear a loud gobble and a red head appears up over the small hill in front of me 35 yards out . Slam dunk shot so I let him have it. Didnít see the bird go down though and next thing I know there are 4 gobblers running down the hill then taking flight. I was sick to my stomach thinking I missed such an easy shot. Stood up and walked over to where I shot and the one I shot at was laying there. Ended up calling in 5 gobblers. The one I shot is a pretty nice mountain bird. Beard was just shy of 10 inches but it was thick. Spurs just over a inch. Gizzard was filled with locusts. Had to walk close to a mile with most of the journey uphill. Walk out is kind of rough as it is without having to sling a dead turkey over your shoulder. Always seem to have my best action the last couple weeks of the season for whatever reason.
Way to go sir. Those mountain birds are always more rewarding. Seems for every 1 that gets killed in the mountains, 10 get killed on a farm. But I gotta chuckle at your story about climbing the mountain to kill him. I was in WV last year and started the morning on the top of a ridge. Struck a bird in a bottom so I dropped off 300 vertical feet to get to him. Then I get there and he plays hard to get at about 50 yards for awhile then decides to walk off and gobble his way UP the mountain. So I pull back and hump it right back up where I came from. Well as I get back to the ridge I catch a glimpse of him feeding across the ridge and heading down the other side. So I hustle down the back side a bit and swing below him just in time to sit down. 3 yelps and a gobble later he comes walking down my gun barrel. It's funny how one will play hard to get at spot A then not think twice about committing suicide at spot B to the same call. There is a place they want to be. Congrats for having the sense to figure out how to kill him.
limbhnger10 likes this.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-29-2019, 05:14 PM
The Man

Great bird!!!!...

...and nice stroller too!....tell the kids you were pushing the turkey around in it...
steelhead125 likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page