Youth Guns - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-26-2019, 11:29 AM Thread Starter
New Arrival

Youth Guns

Morning,

Looking for recommendations for a youth turkey gun for my daughter who will hopefully be hunting with me in a few years. Something that can a) grow with her and b) be versatile enough for other game. Bonus if it has a pink stock.

Thanks,
Jim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-26-2019, 11:35 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Mossburg super Bantam,----- lightweight, comes setup to shoot 12.5" or 13.5" length of trigger pull and can later put on a adult size stock if needed.

Reliable and patterns very good.
Jim Beeghley and Born2Hunt like this.
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-26-2019, 12:51 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Remington 870 20 gage youth. I know a few adults that use one. Not sure if they make a pink though. Get the synthetic version and have some dip it if necessary.
Jim Beeghley likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-26-2019, 01:00 PM

They make the Super Bantam in pink.

https://www.cheaperthandirt.com/prod...15813541473.do

You may want to consider a Semi as the recoil is usually a little less on those than a pump.

Alot of the youth guns now come with the adjustable stock which is really sweet deal.
Jim Beeghley likes this.

Traditions only last if you pass them down to your kids!
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-26-2019, 01:45 PM

Made the mistake of buying a Remington 870 Youth for my vertically deprived wife, wish I would have spent the extra and picked up a semi for her. She has no problem shooting her 7mm-08 but hates the 870. The softer recoil of the semi would be more enjoyable.
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-26-2019, 02:47 PM
Frequent Contributor

I was making this same decision this year when my 10 year old expressed interest in turkey hunting. I ultimately decided on a tristar viper G2 youth 20 ga combo. This combo has a shorter stock but also comes with an adult full size stock as well. The recoil is minimal and I can see my 12 gauge carrying days will be coming to an end as I will be toting this around as well.
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-26-2019, 04:17 PM

You should be able to find a lightly used 11-87.... those are sweet youth/petite framed guns...
We used them extensively for shotgun merit badge at the last camp I worked... man what a difference they made in acclimating new shooters.
Jim Beeghley likes this.
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-26-2019, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingatchtochwilsit View Post
You should be able to find a lightly used 11-87.... those are sweet youth/petite framed guns...
We used them extensively for shotgun merit badge at the last camp I worked... man what a difference they made in acclimating new shooters.
The 11-87 is a nice gun and I bought my son one about 10 years ago. The only thing I don't care about it is the finish isn't the best and it rusts up easily if you don't keep it oiled good. I mean it rusts really easy. I had read that they had some finish issues back in that time. Not sure if they still do.

Traditions only last if you pass them down to your kids!
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-26-2019, 04:24 PM
New Arrival

I bought a 20gauge Remington 870 for my son and I later put the factory youth synthetic stock on it with adjustable shims for changing the length of pull as he grows. Patterns great with Winchester Longbeard XR #5's, but it kicks like an angry mule. Solution- He and I patterned the gun at the range with me doing most of the shooting (he shot it twice). You put a turkey in front of her gobbling its head off, I promise you she won't feel a thing! The rest of the time he shoots low brass trap loads for experience handling and operating the gun. The practice with the low brass loads is invaluable. He absolutely knows how to safely operate the shotgun. Hevi-Shot does make a reduced recoil turkey load that helps with felt recoil. It works well. I also have a cantilever slug barrel for deer hunting. Again, very accurate, but it kicks like a mule. We started with the Hornady reduced recoil slugs and they help a lot. The Mossberg Super Bantam is a very good choice also. My nephew used that exact shotgun for years on deer, waterfowl, and turkeys.
Jim Beeghley and icemole like this.
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-26-2019, 08:51 PM
Part of the Community

My daughter was 6 when she shot her first gobbler. I purchased a youth 870 20 gauge. I put a knocks recoil reduction stock on it to help her. I also put a limbsavor butt on it. She’s never complains. The stock extends for multiple length of pull. We all use it. It’s a hammer on turkeys with TSS.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page