May 24th - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 05:38 AM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

May 24th

Beautiful morning to be out. Cant believe how green the woods has gotten since my last trip out. Good luck everyone
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 05:39 AM

May 24th

Good luck!

Actually really nice out at the moment. Cooled down and humidity dropped.

I woke up late. Left me with 1 option...head to the farm a half mile away. I was seeing a group of 5 of so here. Got permission and someone was here pretty much daily.

I've been seeing 3 different lone birds wandering around the last couple evenings. No way to get glass on them...if I had to guess, I'd say they are hens..but at 300-400yds it's tough to say.

Not hearing anything...will give it some time and see if anything comes out.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 12:06 PM
Regular Visitor

Quiet in 4c today.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 03:38 PM
The Man

They were gobbling really good for me this morning. Went into a area for the first time this year and birds were roosted all over the hillside. Heard two or three different gobblers. Had two hens come in behind me 5 yards away clucking and purring. My only issue was I didn’t put on any bug spray . Mosquitoes were eating me alive and I couldn’t sit still. Don’t think I messed the area up too bad so I am going to go back Tuesday sprayed down and set up higher on the hill. Going to try and wait them out until late afternoon. Couldn’t get them off the hens this morning.

Darton DS-3800
Public Land Hunter
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 04:00 PM

Had birds hammering on the limb about 4-500yds from where I was set up across the valley...... somebody decided to park right next to my truck and stood halfway between where I was and where the birds were across the highway.....and probably wore out the reeds on his mouth call over the next half hour while they were on the limb.

I had my buddy's daughter along as the hunter and she wasn't equipped for a drop and go across the valley so between the other hunter and my hunter situation I just had to let it play out.

I'm telling you I've never heard anyone call that much, that poorly, and that loud at roosted turkeys. Yapyapyap yaaaap yaaaap yaaaaap, yapyapyap yaaaap yaaaap yaaaaap....every 30 seconds. And of course at flydown they went silent. LOL.
Took him another 5-10 min to do the same.
So if you were that guy and reading this , I gave you a 200yd throat punch this morning. I hope you felt it.

We kept it low key where we were and I coaxed a silent hen towing a silent Tom with her down the old coal Rd to our position.
As he approached I was sure he was a longbeard head and neck visible above the brush. But when he cleared at 20yds he had absolutely no hint of a beard.
Lit up, white and red.....big body. Didn't look jakey but obviously just couldn't let her shoot.
I gave him a SERIOUS twice over and he had nothing for a beard.
Even if he strutted and was full fan he would have been off limits so we had to let him walk.
It was nice that we had some action and she took it well but I never wanted to see a 4" beard more in my life for her.

Should get out one more time Monday if I have a kid to take and that might be a rap on 2019

Last edited by Matt / PA; 05-24-2019 at 04:06 PM.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 05:48 PM
Frequent Contributor

It was a slow morning here. Bird I'm hunting never made a peep today and never showed himself in the field. Even my jake friends didn't come out this morning. I'm quite shocked as it seemed like the perfect morning. Can't get back out til Tuesday. Pedal to the metal the last 4 days! This is by far the toughest year I've ever experienced.

16 years and counting. Welcome to the life of a Buffalo Bills fan!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page