Caught Up With One - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 12Likes
  • 12 Post By Gilly

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 04:01 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Caught Up With One

Sorry this is a little late, but last Friday I caught up with one finally! I'm not sure how the gobbling/hunting has been for everybody else on here, but in our area in 4E/4D, we have been seeing and hearing very few birds. It's one of those seasons that if you get on a bird, you better not mess up because it could be your last chance.

Last Friday was my 17th hunt and I was really starting to wear down. In fact, I had zero intentions of going, but when my pup woke me up at 4 to go out, I figured I might as well give it a shot. Can't hunt them in June. I finally stumbled out of the truck around 5 at a spot that I had seen 2 hens in the field the night previous. I listened until about 5:30, but nothing was making noise. I decided to head back to the truck and head about a mile away to another spot I had found some fresh sign earlier in the week. As I was getting ready at the truck I heard one start gobbling. I quickly got my things and headed for the woods. I got down a ravine between two ridges and this bird was gobbling pretty good on a point to my west. As I moved in between the two ridges and him gobbling back at me pretty regularly, a hen up by him starting going off. I cut her off and we went back and forth for a minute or two before she flew down. As all this was going on, another bird starting gobbling pretty good on the other ridge to my East and I was right between the two. Not a bad situation to be in...

I figured I better get set up pronto. I picked a tree and started putting my decoy out. As I was putting my decoy out (with no headnet or glasses - which I need - and gun propped up against a tree), I heard a giant WHOOOSH sound and the gobbler flew directly over top me and landed right next to the tree I was about to sit by. I slowly got my headnet and glasses on and as I was grabbing for my gun, he hit full strut, but knew something wasn't quite right. He slowly walked up over the ridge out of sight without me getting a shot. As all this is going on, the 2nd bird is still gobbling very hard and he seems very interested in my calling.

After a few minutes I moved up over the ridge where the 1st bird went and got level with the 2nd bird. I got set up by a blow-down and started my sequence. After cutting to him and getting him all wound up, he went silent and I was ready. It went about 5 minutes until I heard the unmistakable sound of spitting/drumming. A split second later I saw his white head pop out slightly to my right about 50-55 yards out. Unfortunately, he did not see the hen he came in looking for and started getting wary. I slowly started swinging his direction when the inevitable alarm putt sounded off... He walked out of the opening, then right back in. I figured this might be my only chance... BOOM!

I shot, he flopped, and I ran out after him. This is when the fun begins... As I went to step on his head, I rolled my ankle and he started flopping down the deep ravine. I rolled/ran right with him, but couldn't get him! By the time it was all said and done, we went about 75 yard, I got spurred once, and he was missing feathers... a lot of feathers. Including all of his tail feathers, which I must have accidentally stepped on at one point. It wasn't pretty but I got him! And turns out he is my biggest bird to date! 22 lbs, 10 3/4" beard, 1 3/8" spurs.

Not a bad day for a morning I was planning on skipping. Glad my pup got me up!

Note: The photo with the full fan is actually a fan from a turkey I shot 2 springs ago held up behind him. His feathers you can see strewn throughout the yard...

And the old man followed up with one the next morning!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190517_074033.jpg (1.35 MB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg 20190517_063345.jpg (767.0 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg 20190517_111512.jpg (1.25 MB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg 20190518_112206.jpg (1.84 MB, 39 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 04:06 PM

Congrats Gilly. that`s a nice one and a great story of your hunt to boot....

If you don`t stand behind our Troops,
Please feel free to stand in front of them....
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 04:17 PM

Way to go!!!! you never gave up and look what happened! Congrats on a real bruiser.

A squakin' turkey don't live long
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 04:59 PM
The Man

Way to go! Thanks for taking the time to tell the story!
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 05:17 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

That was a heck of a good fight....and you WON!!! Congrats, great bird!

GOBBLE THIS!!!
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 08:07 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Nice write up and a great bird. Congrats.

The sleep of a laborer is sweet, while the rich man tosses and turns, worried about his possessions.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 09:45 PM

Thatís an adventure for the olí memory bank! Glad you didnít get hurt on that hill roll with Mr. Longspur. Great hooks on him.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 12:18 AM

Great bird and hunt, congrats!

USAF 1980-2010
OEF VET
VFW Life Member
NRA Life Member
American Legion Life Member
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 04:13 AM
The Man

Congrats

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page