May 23rd - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 6Likes
  • 1 Post By thebuckshow
  • 4 Post By Turkeyman
  • 1 Post By GermanHillHunter

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 06:00 AM Thread Starter

May 23rd

Good luck anyone else out here grinding it out with me!

My morning started off awesome...woke up a few minutes later than I wanted. Didn't anticipate a bright moon and clear sky. Not a big deal..I will just hunt closer instead of driving an hour. Figured I'd go back where I had the action last week.

About 3 miles away and 2 TINY deer jump out of a field in front of me. No joke they should have had spots...One breaks left...one jumped back into the ditch. Whew! I can split the middle and sneak through. You guessed it. The one that jumped into the ditch didn't wanna wait 2 seconds to cross the road and jumped into the side of my truck. Looks like a clip or 2 on my rear passenger side fender flare needs attention. Other than that I couldn't find anything... unfortunately for her, I couldn't see any damage to her but she was done. Only thing I can figure it her head went between the rear tire and fender flare.

Get back to where those birds were and silent thus far....quick little storm last evening..humid but fairly nice morning. I feel like the wind is going to kick up though.

I'm running on E. Actually slept in yesterday and worked on the yard all day.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 07:46 AM
Regular Visitor

Good luck Mauser,

I'm watching 2 toms strutting their stuff for 3 hens out the office window this morning. Haven't heard a bird in 2 weeks and have only seen 1 strutting my last few times out. Cruel and fickle creatures...... They fire off a gobble every 10 minutes or so just to add to the aggravation.
DrakesOnly likes this.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 09:50 AM
The Man

Going out tomorrow and Tuesday. Haven’t hunted much this season and the last 3 times out didn’t hear a gobble. Plan on hunting hard tomorrow . Going to keep hitting different spots until I am too exhausted to go any further. I imagine I am going to be pretty sore and beat up on Saturday. Good luck to whoever is out there today.

Darton DS-3800
Public Land Hunter
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 10:39 AM
Frequent Contributor

Had to reposition on a bird I've been hunting for about a week now after flydown. Caught up to him before he made it out to the field. He came out with the 3 jakes I've let live just about everyday ive hunted this property. He followed them around and just hammered away and strutted from 7 to 8:30. They all saw my deke but just wouldn't come and this is the first time that those 3 jakes HAVEN'T came straight to my deke when they've come out in the field. Another longbeard joined the party about 7:45 and pranced around with them. Closest they ever got was about 75. Just brutal! I'm heading back after a catnap!

16 years and counting. Welcome to the life of a Buffalo Bills fan!
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 05:10 PM

Yesterday was the first day of my third time down to a particular SGL. The first two times I ran into jakes with hens, but no toms. This time I went to a different area of the same SGL. I heard nothing yesterday so relocated a bit for today. I heard four gobblers on the limb. Got into good position and called them in, along with a lone hen. Turned out to be two longbeards and two jakes...the boss went off with the hen, not presenting a shot. The other was a 2 YO, 14.53#, 7 1/2" beard and got a ride in my truck.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 09:12 PM
Frequent Contributor

Well after my catnap I headed back to the field and settled in the blind for the afternoon and evening. A few lone hens worked through. At 530 I heard him gobble 1 time below me down in a ravine. I didn't pursue him I just left him be and hoped he might come up to the field. Didn't wanna chance spooking him as I'm sure he was still with those jakes. He'll be around again in the morning. I'm bound and determined to kill him!
steelhead125 likes this.

16 years and counting. Welcome to the life of a Buffalo Bills fan!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page