Evening hunt tips for not being able to spend much time in the woods - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-20-2019, 09:09 PM Thread Starter

Evening hunt tips for not being able to spend much time in the woods

So I haven't had much time to spend in the woods in the afternoons this year. Honestly I never do much of that anyway; my best chances of killing a bird are hearing one sounding off in the morning. I have a decent idea where birds start off, but no clue where to look for them in the late afternoon. My wife and I are going out tomorrow since the evening is pretty much our last chance of actually killing a bird this year. But with minimal scouting under my belt, I really don't have any clue where to set up for an evening hunt. How do you get onto birds when you don't have time to spend in the woods on a regular basis? I'm open to any suggestions!

A bad day hunting rabbits beats a good day of anything else!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 06:43 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

If you have a decent idea where they start off in the morning that is where I would start hunting in the evening. They will be in the area.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 09:25 AM

Not having current scouting info is never ideal. There’s a point where you simply have to put faith in past scouting trips and pray that the area still holds birds. I was in your exact shoes last week when I killed a gobbler sometime around 2:30 PM. Old spot that held birds in the past + some afternoon legwork = dead bird. Called them in just like a morning hunt.

If all else fails and you really have a traditional roost tree dialed in, it never hurts to setup nearby and wait for them to rally before fly-up.

Last edited by Six-Gun; 05-21-2019 at 09:40 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 09:33 AM

Can't help much with the afternoon advise. I don't think I have ever hunted after the first 10 days from opening. However, the gobblers were sounding off here around 7:30 this morning.

NRA Benefactor Member
NWTF Member
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 08:37 PM Thread Starter

Well, we did at least lay eyes on some birds. Shame they were hens... well not a shame really, it was still nice watching them for a while. There has to be a gobbler around there somewhere, and I plan to give him a present when I see him.

A bad day hunting rabbits beats a good day of anything else!
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 10:17 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

In the late afternoon you MUST be in the vicinity of where they want to roost. I've killed three afternoon longbeards and they were all following hens back to the woods to roost.
I had a fourth that I nearly pulled the trigger on. He was coming across a field gobbling to my calls as he was headed back to a traditional roosting area. With just a few steps left until he would have been in the red zone, a Great Horned owl came swooping across the field and that gobbler took off running to the opposite end of the field.

ProSqueezing Pro Staff

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page