Fewer Jake's This Year - Page 3 - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 09:50 AM

The first Wednesday of the season was the only googling I heard and I called in 3 Jake’s and two of them started attacking my Avian Jake decoy.

Life Member NRA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 09:52 AM

I seen some today
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 51004_1558619561839.jpg (622.7 KB, 9 views)
post #23 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 03:45 PM
Regular Visitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank1969 View Post
I seen some today

Just my take from reading posts here, looks like you guys in western part of the state still have a decent population of birds? I really hope what's happened to us in the eastern part of the state doesn't happen to you guys! And before somebody says I live in the eastern part of the state and I hear birds every morning! I mean the whole eastern part of State in the whole not little nooks and crannies that still hold a few birds.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 04:20 PM

Seen the average amount this spring in my area.

A squakin' turkey don't live long
post #25 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 05:17 PM

I saw two gobblers and 1 Jake in my three days of PA hunting....and about 6 hens.....who are now looking for new gobbler mates......

NRA Benefactor Member
NWTF Member
post #26 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 05:23 PM

Well, I don't know about state-wide but in three trips encompassing 6 days to a particular SGL I called up 14 jakes and two toms.
post #27 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 07:25 PM

This post scares me. I certainly did not see any jakes this year and I’m usually good for letting about 5-10 walk per season. Very concerning.

I don’t want to start any crap about shooting jakes - and kids or a first bird definitely constitute an exception - but right now more than ever I see no reason to be killing them. I got guys around me who run around bragging that they’re serious turkey hunters but have no problem putting jakes in the dirt. I recognize you can be both a good turkey hunter and shoot jakes - and usually I keep my thoughts to myself -but I feel like we are in dire straights right now. Will not shooting jakes save a declining turkey population that isn’t declining due to hunting pressure? No... but people don’t go broke because they get a 3 dollar cup of coffee every morning - it’s a lifestyle and attitude.

This type of thing is like going bankrupt - it’s gradual until it’s sudden.

"Speak when you are angry, and you will make the best speech you will ever regret." - Ambrose Bierce
post #28 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 07:35 PM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrakesOnly View Post
This post scares me. I certainly did not see any jakes this year and I’m usually good for letting about 5-10 walk per season. Very concerning.

I don’t want to start any crap about shooting jakes - and kids or a first bird definitely constitute an exception - but right now more than ever I see no reason to be killing them. I got guys around me who run around bragging that they’re serious turkey hunters but have no problem putting jakes in the dirt. I recognize you can be both a good turkey hunter and shoot jakes - and usually I keep my thoughts to myself -but I feel like we are in dire straights right now. Will not shooting jakes save a declining turkey population that isn’t declining due to hunting pressure? No... but people don’t go broke because they get a 3 dollar cup of coffee every morning - it’s a lifestyle and attitude.

This type of thing is like going bankrupt - it’s gradual until it’s sudden.
What’s the difference if they die as jakes, or long beards? Dead is dead. I personally don’t shoot them, but have no ill will towards anyone who does. They’re legal, shoot em in the face if it makes you happy!

I think I'm an alright guy, I think I'm alright
post #29 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 07:50 PM

Passing jakes will not stop the decline of turkey populations.

I support all hunters, regardless of weapon or technique!
post #30 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 08:09 PM

I know - I literally said that in my post

"Speak when you are angry, and you will make the best speech you will ever regret." - Ambrose Bierce

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page