May 17th - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 04:24 AM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

May 17th

Heading out hunting for the first time in 8 days to hunt with my uncle. He came back from Ohio to hunt here 2 days. I'm hoping the Turkey gods are good to us. Good luck and be safe.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 08:02 AM
New Arrival

Quiet in 4B this morning. Good luck to those out all day!
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 08:36 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Another quiet day in 4B. Heck even my neighbors domesticated turkeys stopped gobbling 2 weeks ago.

4B
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 08:55 AM

I've been hearing good gobbling all season. I had a guy shoot one about 100yds in front of me this morning. I heard a couple pellets land below me. That made me jump a bit!
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 09:22 AM

Probably the best morning of the season for me even though the weather wasn't great.

Actually had great gobbling on the roost which I haven't heard the last 2 seasons.

They were all a long ways off....but I knew I had 15-20 minutes to get close. I made a run for it.

Long story short...I knew 1 was closer than the rest but I didn't hear him during my morning Sprint. I stopped to listen and he was 30yds away on a limb lol.

Still had several gobbling. Started working them and had a good feeling they were going to charge right in. Another sudden down pour and silence.

Long story short, after a long wet miserable sit I gave in. I knew the other trail wasnt far. 30-40yds and that was where the last gobble was. I figured he saw me or didn't see the hen and he left...I couldn't see the trail...when I setup the closet hottest bird was 100yds below me and 100yds from the trail (it angles)

I knew better... should have been able to shoot the trail....

I knew better...I should have sat tight.

Yep...I get to the trail and stand there. I look left (down the hill) and there's 3 gobblers standing there looking at me 35yds away lol. They didn't spook bad...looked at me a few seconds and walked into the woods.... basically where I was setup lol.

Been so long since I've had actual action my mind was in rookie mode....aside from jakes, those are the first birds I've actually worked the last 2 years.

I have 8 more days of the season off. Hopefully this morning is a sign of things to come and the hunting gets good here.

I'm not really confident the flintlock will fire because the one downpour caught me off guard and I know it got wet so I'm back home....dry everything out and reload the flintlock for tomorrow.
Danesdad and Six-Gun like this.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 11:32 AM
Frequent Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mauser06 View Post
Probably the best morning of the season for me even though the weather wasn't great.

Actually had great gobbling on the roost which I haven't heard the last 2 seasons.

They were all a long ways off....but I knew I had 15-20 minutes to get close. I made a run for it.

Long story short...I knew 1 was closer than the rest but I didn't hear him during my morning Sprint. I stopped to listen and he was 30yds away on a limb lol.

Still had several gobbling. Started working them and had a good feeling they were going to charge right in. Another sudden down pour and silence.

Long story short, after a long wet miserable sit I gave in. I knew the other trail wasnt far. 30-40yds and that was where the last gobble was. I figured he saw me or didn't see the hen and he left...I couldn't see the trail...when I setup the closet hottest bird was 100yds below me and 100yds from the trail (it angles)

I knew better... should have been able to shoot the trail....

I knew better...I should have sat tight.

Yep...I get to the trail and stand there. I look left (down the hill) and there's 3 gobblers standing there looking at me 35yds away lol. They didn't spook bad...looked at me a few seconds and walked into the woods.... basically where I was setup lol.

Been so long since I've had actual action my mind was in rookie mode....aside from jakes, those are the first birds I've actually worked the last 2 years.

I have 8 more days of the season off. Hopefully this morning is a sign of things to come and the hunting gets good here.

I'm not really confident the flintlock will fire because the one downpour caught me off guard and I know it got wet so I'm back home....dry everything out and reload the flintlock for tomorrow.

Sounds promising, good luck!

Better then my chances...…..Wife and I are in Durham, N.C. for my nieces wedding.

I'll be back out next week trying for #2.

NRA endowment life member
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 11:43 AM
New Arrival

Glad to hear that things may turn around and that someone had a good day.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 11:48 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Since not hearing a single gobble since the first day i decided when i came home this morning to listen to gobblers on youtube so i dont forget what they sound like lol. Been very frustrating since the opener.

4B
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 11:49 AM

mauser06 -

Been there, buddy. Patience is the first thing to go after a long layoff from action, yet the most critical part of working birds. I’ve made that same decision to stand or move a few minutes too soon and watched the very birds that work in takeoff due to my lack of patience. The good news: you tend to fix the issue pretty quickly.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-17-2019, 11:51 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Keep at it Mauser, patience will pay off.

4B

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page