Lucky #7 down in Nebraska - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 11:46 PM Thread Starter

Lucky #7 down in Nebraska

I still had a tag hanging out there in Nebraska, but the pace at work and home has been exhausting and I didn't think I was going to bother chasing another bird. Worse, most of the public land spots I usually hit out here were ravaged by the early Spring floods, leaving many *still* underwater. But, with some hope further away from the rivers and weather this afternoon just too perfect , I relented and made a trip out to a tiny, but previously productive public land spot around 1:40 PM.

This would be a barebones hunt much like you expect to see on PA Gamelands: no decoys, no blind, no camera - just a vest (with a few calls, binos & rangefinder) and a gun. While I have had great luck with my private land spots using decoys and a blind to film prior hunts, this was just not the right setting for it. It's incredibly dense in a lot of places and I expected to move a good bit since I never scouted this area pre-season.

The area consists of a lake surrounded by mature timber with a few open meadows interspersed throughout. The first meadow I hit on the west side of the lake held no birds, but after changing calls to a Matt van Cise custom box, distant gobbles broke through the wind. The problem was that they came from the completely opposite side of the lake. The beauty of such a tiny public area is that it only took about 15 minutes and a careful log crossing over a creek to get to the other side.

A few cutts and yelps on the box call near where the initial gobbles rang out were met with another volley about 150 yards ahead. One more movement to cut the distance and one more yelp series revealed the birds at 65-75 yards and closing. Time to drop the pad, raise the gun and give them the silent treatment. About 10 minutes later, two Toms cautiously emerged, looking for a hen from the worst possible side - my left. As a lefty, I was extremely limited on that strong side. With the birds now at 28 yards, it took a rapid, but careful turn while they put their heads down to forage to get the gun in a useable position. Amazingly, they never detected a thing and one of the birds cleared the brush.

One 3.5" Long Beard XR #6 later, my 7th bird of the season was doing the flap dance. He sported a 10.25" beard and 1.25" spurs, and showed predominantly Merriam's plumage that transitioned to an Eastern coloration closer to the base of the tail.

Unfortunately, it was nearly 90 degrees by the time I got out of the woods and I had no time to take him to taxidermist to get him weighed without risking spoilage. All I know is that he's big. The fan is easily the biggest I've ever taken, virtually as wide as our refrigerator!

The cool little bonus? There were a couple of morels right at the base of the tree that I shot from. Nice little snack to toss into tonight's dinner.

Last edited by Six-Gun; 05-16-2019 at 11:15 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 07:20 AM

Keep stackin em!!!!!! Congrats
Six-Gun likes this.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 08:38 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Nice work fella, Wanting to make to Nebraska some spring..
Six-Gun likes this.

Don't Gobble at me...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 09:27 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jk6140 View Post
Keep stackin em!!!!!! Congrats
Thanks! Best season on the books that just keeps getting better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fullfan View Post
Nice work fella, Wanting to make to Nebraska some spring..
It's a worthwhile trip and one of the few places I've lived where a little bit of map sifting to find some off-the-beaten-path public land has a very high probability of success. Don't ignore undersized areas if the habitat looks right on satellite imagery. Places like I hunted for this one often get overlooked because of their size (or lack thereof). I had the whole place to myself and two other gobbler groups responding to my calls that I never saw.
Satch, Fullfan and jk6140 like this.

Last edited by Six-Gun; 05-18-2019 at 01:03 AM.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 10:35 AM

Nice!
Six-Gun likes this.

Never Misses
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-16-2019, 02:09 PM

Great hunt, congrats!
Six-Gun likes this.

USAF 1980-2010
OEF VET
VFW Life Member
NRA Life Member
American Legion Life Member
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-18-2019, 07:04 PM
Regular Visitor

Congrats...hoping to make a trip out there in a year or two. You are having a great season!
Six-Gun likes this.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-18-2019, 07:48 PM Thread Starter

If you guys are looking to come out this way, I *highly* suggest in getting Nebraska’s free public land atlas that publishes annually and shows all of the available private lands leased for public hunting (and not just the WMAs). It opens up a whole lot more options. We use the book all of the time when hunting on any given day.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-18-2019, 08:25 PM

Would like to do their early archery hunt some year. Congrats on the great gobbler!

I support all hunters, regardless of weapon or technique!
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-18-2019, 08:53 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpms View Post
Would like to do their early archery hunt some year. Congrats on the great gobbler!
That is arguably the best deal going. Very low participation rate means LOTS of public woods open. The birds are just getting territorial and angry in late March when it opens, which can result in some wild hunting and great action over decoys.

The only downside is that weather is highly variable in the earliest part of the season, and can be downright cold in the early mornings depending on the year.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page