I have no idea how to answer this ??? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 30Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 06:03 PM Thread Starter
The Man

I have no idea how to answer this ???

My buddy calls me and says he got a gobbler at my camp. He said at fly down he’s working 3 birds for a hour and can see them fanned up at 60yds. At that point a guy stalks the gobbling and takes a Hail Mary and misses, my buddy ducks and hears flapping overhead, looks up and the birds the guy missed are literally 20 feet above him in a tree... He shoots and kills a nice bird outta the tree. He calls me and tells me the whole story.. I was like man brother I don’t know if that’s legal or not. He said I worked these birds all morning to have a guy shoot 50 yds from me!!!

Camp life,it don't get much better!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 06:27 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

That is a tough one. I don't see anything in the regulations saying you can't so i suppose you could. I had some snide comments made towards me last year because i shot one that came out from under a fallen down tree while i was looking for mushrooms. The comments were because i didn't call it in but i wasn't stalking either. Since your buddy wasn't stalking and it flew in the tree and he harvested it then i would say legal. Maybe unethical to some but WW and RSB would be the ones to clarify that one.
bohunr likes this.

4B
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 06:34 PM
Banned

Was told long time ago about this very thing and said to be very unethical it went from that to shooting ducks on the water that have already landed on the water.
bohunr likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 06:45 PM

its legal. he wasnt stalking, he was calling, some guy spooked them and they moved closer to him...its legal.
pchunter1231 likes this.

http://www.thebreastcancersite.com
go here click on the pink square, beat breast cancer
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 06:48 PM

Probably not how he was hoping things would go, but I donít see where he violated the law.
bohunr likes this.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 06:49 PM

YEP...no different than had he shot and spooked the birds and they flew closer to him.

http://www.thebreastcancersite.com
go here click on the pink square, beat breast cancer
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 06:58 PM

Twice I have had hunters sneak in on roosted gobblers that I was set up on close by and shoot at them in the tree. Neither time did they get the gobbler and one was a very questionable range and the other was a ridiculous range.

Another time I had a hunter shoot at a gobbler as the bird was walking into my decoys....he shot from long range.

Ruined the morning for me all three times.

Twice in OH I walked 2 miles back in the woods to accidentally stop to wait for daylight only to discover I was directly under the tree of roasted gobblers. I did not even attempt to shoot them out of the tree just not my thing.

Apparently not illegal, but in my opinion not very sporting or rewarding.

NRA Benefactor Member
NWTF Member
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 07:44 PM

To each there own
bohunr likes this.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born2Hunt View Post
...Another time I had a hunter shoot at a gobbler as the bird was walking into my decoys....he shot from long range.
That is downright frightening. Iíd imagine the guy probably had no clue that where you were and simply fired arbitrarily in your direction. Peopleís desperation is just crazy.
bohunr likes this.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 25ftup View Post
My buddy calls me and says he got a gobbler at my camp. He said at fly down heís working 3 birds for a hour and can see them fanned up at 60yds. At that point a guy stalks the gobbling and takes a Hail Mary and misses, my buddy ducks and hears flapping overhead, looks up and the birds the guy missed are literally 20 feet above him in a tree... He shoots and kills a nice bird outta the tree. He calls me and tells me the whole story.. I was like man brother I donít know if thatís legal or not. He said I worked these birds all morning to have a guy shoot 50 yds from me!!!

I assume that the birds were on the ground when the guy stalked them since he was calling for an hour? The only illegal thing that I see from your story is the guy who stalked them as stalking turkeys in the Spring is illegal.

Shooting out of the tree is not illegal. I wouldn't do it at daybreak though as not my cup of tea. However in your buddies situation there is a good chance I would have done the same as him.

Traditions only last if you pass them down to your kids!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page