20 ga turkey gun - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 09:31 AM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

20 ga turkey gun

I got a 20 ga 870 youth for a real good deal and decided to retire the 12 that I own and dislike. For anyone wondering if a 20 is enough for your kid or if you are tired of dinking around with a long bbl and heavy gun in a blind, this seems to work pretty well.

Specs. 870 20 ga Ute, Phoenix Tech stock (33.00 optics planet) a Mesa Tactical adapter (870 12 ga stock to 20ga receiver 23.00 OP) and Tru Glow gobble stopper choke tube and FO sight combo, (30)Bushnell TRS-25 red dot (56, Amazon) Aimtech saddle mount (45,Amazon)

Put it together w/o a scope. The Tru Glow sights that came with the choke were non adjustable and the price of adj sights was more than the scope, sooo.
I tried Nitro turkey and they were OK, I would say good for 35 yards. Then I got some Longbeard XR. Results as follows. I did move the pattern left, but this should give you an idea.

Now, if I can get the birds to get on the same side of the valley I am on, I will post a real world example
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20gaA.jpg (261.6 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg 20gaB.jpg (263.4 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg 20gaC.jpg (217.9 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg 20gaD.jpg (230.8 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg 20gaE.jpg (281.7 KB, 35 views)
Six-Gun likes this.

Every day you see it on the news. Another felons life needlessly spared by inaccurate fire.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 10:09 AM
Banned

Good deal look at your targets move your sight to the left after the season theres a lot of shot going to the right.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 11:25 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

We all went to the 20's several years ago. Our 12 's have all been retired. The 20's we have are more lethal with TSS and will out pattern our 12's with factory non TSS loads all day long. I have watched 7 die from the 20's this spring from 15 out to 41 yds. We running a Mossberg bantam, Winchester x3-long beard and a Weatherby Sa459. You will love hauling that lil gun around. Nice rig...

Don't Gobble at me...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 11:49 AM

I’ve killed 6 birds now with a 20 gauge and TSS, from 25 yards to well over 50. I’d say there’s a good chance my 12s will never hunt again.

I don't hunt turkeys because I want to, I hunt turkeys because I have to.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 12:14 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I haven't had any desire to carry a 12 gauge since I started carrying a 20. I've been using federal heavyweight #7's but will switch to TSS when my supply runs out.

I’m a great believer in luck, and I find the harder I work the more I have of it.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 12:26 PM

Interesting, might need a new shotgun.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 01:39 PM
Super Moderator

I started using a 20 this year it patterns great with the Hevi shot 7’s didn’t kill anything with it yet but I hope I do this spring. I’m going to use the TSS 9’s by next year though

My name is Moss and i'm a turkey huntin' addict

I'm itchin' to see a red fox twitchin!
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 01:52 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twowithone View Post
Good deal look at your targets move your sight to the left after the season theres a lot of shot going to the right.
Moved it already, near the end of the text. Post season I will firm it up but I posted the shot patterns for ref.

Every day you see it on the news. Another felons life needlessly spared by inaccurate fire.

post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 01:54 PM
Banned

Knocked down the last 8 with the 20 gauge! No need to carry that cumbersome 3.5, 12 gauge anymore!
Gonna order me another. Going to go with the Winchester sx4 this time.

Have a franchi 20 with a sumtoy. 562. It shoots everything well. I bought that for the girls but have been carrying it. Gonna get one of my own!
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 02:04 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

One other thing. If you are small enough to use that kids stock, it would be even nicer to carry. Just a thought. Using the rib mounted sights I added a inch to the stock, With the scope I can get it up to my face with the stock collapsed.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page