May 10, 2019 - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By nitronx882

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 05-12-2019, 08:20 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

May 10, 2019

Decided to hunt a local property this morning in WMU 5D. Arrived at 5:00 a.m. Decided to set up on the ground in the woods near a stream with jake and hen decoy. At 5:45 a.m. heard 3 turkeys gobble from 3 different directions. The closet one sounded as though it was roosted near where I had parked. A few soft tree clucks and the closest one let out a booming gobble. I sat in the dark listening to him gobble from the roost. The other two toms gobbled one more time and clammed up. Being on the ground didnt offer a good shot due to the foilage and I was facing the wrong direction. I have a tree stand in the same area bordering a field and decided to move the decoys into the fielld and climb in the tree stand which offered a shot into the field and the woods. A few more soft clucks and 20 minutes later he was closing the distance fast. At about 50 yards to my left up a hill out of sight he gobble again. Gun up and ready I could see him coming down the hill strutting and gobbeling. When he didnt see the decoys, he hestated the started to walk down the hill. Thats when I shot. 37 yards, 6:15 a.m. , 20 lbs, 10" beard and one inch spurrs. There are not many turkeys around this area but this will be a morning I will never forget.
SlickShot likes this.

Last edited by nitronx882; 05-13-2019 at 09:27 AM. Reason: spelling
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 05-12-2019, 09:15 PM

Congrats, nice story as well...

If you don`t stand behind our Troops,
Please feel free to stand in front of them....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page