May 11th - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-11-2019, 05:29 AM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

May 11th

Good luck all. Have one of my buddies sons in a blind this morning trying to get his first bird. Hope they want to play.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-11-2019, 05:47 AM
Frequent Contributor

I’m set up and waiting impatiently for the 1st gobble of the morning. Gone a few days without hearing any...

One Shot...One Kill
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-11-2019, 06:38 AM
Banned

6:36 here and haven't heard a bird yet. Guy Im hunting with just texted and said he just knocked one off the roost. All is quiet so far.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-11-2019, 07:03 AM

Quiet in my part of 3C, although a buddy of mine a few miles down the road is having some action. I don't have a ton of room to stretch my legs on this particular property, but the sign is here and it's historically been a good mid-morning spot, so I'll be patient and see what shakes out. Good luck to all!

"Well boy, you ain't gonna git nothin' layin' in that bed." ~My ol' man
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-11-2019, 07:39 AM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

One has n the roost gobbling, hit the ground, gobbled 3 or 4 more times now nothing. Beautiful morning though
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-11-2019, 12:07 PM

2 gobblers vocal at dawn,flew down had one fanned out about 75 yards out for a few seconds. Then saw a hen and they all went the other way. Oh well got to go to work. Great weather morning as the winds held off.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-11-2019, 12:32 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

After a mediocre morning I bumped into a bird gobbling on his own while running and gunning at 10AM. I set up and gave him a call and he hammered right back and started closing ground. I was on the side of a steep ridge and he was below me. Between scratching the leaves and a few more calls, I see a fan pop up over at 40 yards. My gun wasn't positioned just right so I couldn't swing slightly for what would have been an easy shot. He gobbled again, and then went behind a tree. When he popped out I dumped him at about 40 yards.

He started rolling down the hill so that was a fun chase. I go to pin him down and see a small beard! Noooo. Turns out he was a super jake I guess. Fan was pretty much full. First young bird I've killed like that in a long time Oh well. He gobbled very well and sure had me pumped up. I have not had a hot bird commit like that in weeks. That's number 2 and 1 more tag here for me to fill. We're in the last week here.

The sleep of a laborer is sweet, while the rich man tosses and turns, worried about his possessions.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-11-2019, 04:04 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Covered a lot of ground today in different places. NOT A PEEP again. At least i am getting in good shape. Maybe next week they will want to talk.

4B
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-11-2019, 06:04 PM

I didn't have much time this morning due to a volunteer workday on the game lands so I headed to a place on the game lands near the work area. As I expected by gobbling time there were five vehicles in the parking lot.

I was only in a half mile when I could hear three different birds gobbling on the roost. One was too far away but two were close enough to set up on. I found a spot I thought they might come to and set up. They both answered as soon as I called. Then I could hear someone else calling to them from a different angle. It wasn't long until they were on the ground below my set up. But, I also had a hen answering me from the same location as the gobblers. They answered my calls for a while but never came any closer. Then two more started gobbling on the other side of the hill from me. I could tell they out in one of the food plots we plant each year. They never moved from there. One would gobble and that would set the other one off to gobble as well. I suspect they were Jakes.

By 0730 I was headed out. By the time I got to the parking lot there were eight vehicles. Maybe I will try the area on a week day morning and see if it is worth hunting or too over pressured then too.

We had a good workday though and planted a couple thousand food and cover shrubs in some fenced areas.

Dick Bodenhorn
basdjs and woodsman1118 like this.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-12-2019, 11:50 AM
The Man

Hoped to get out early before leavin for my daughters college graduation but couldn,t swing it,dang.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page