A plea for help. - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-10-2019, 09:44 AM Thread Starter

A plea for help.

I'm no Turkey hunter, but my boy is gung-ho for some reason. LOL. He is using a box call, but wants to start practicing with a mouth call to free up his hands.

- Where do I buy a mouth call ?
- What "type" is best to start a lad out with ?

Thx in advance.

2A-Wash. Co.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-10-2019, 09:59 AM
Banned

Any sporting goods store and there is a very large selection of them, single diaphragm, double diaphragm etc.

Last edited by Woods walker; 05-10-2019 at 11:15 AM.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-10-2019, 10:01 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleroo View Post
I'm no Turkey hunter, but my boy is gung-ho for some reason. LOL. He is using a box call, but wants to start practicing with a mouth call to free up his hands.

- Where do I buy a mouth call ?
- What "type" is best to start a lad out with ?

Thx in advance.

A plain (no cuts in top reed) double reed call is the easiest.

GOBBLE THIS!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-10-2019, 10:01 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Most work OK. Walmart or any sporting goods store. Tip is to put a small hole in corner of the call and attach a strong piece of string. If he swallows it you or he can pull in out. No kidding.
Glass calls are nice.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-10-2019, 10:49 AM
Banned

Walmart has them cheap. Get a Primos A frame double. Easy to use , a little smaller frame then most. Ive killed lots of birds with that call. 3$ and change at Walmart!
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-10-2019, 10:58 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

All diaphragm calls differ slightly in size as well and some may need to be trimmed to fit the shape of the roof of his mouth to get a good seal.

Literally any well known brand makes decent mouth calls that will generate solid yelps. As with anything, the more expensive generally means better constructed with better materials such as the latex.

Primos, HS, Flextone, MAD, Woodhaven, Mountain Hollow, etc are all good choices.

Just remember, the more reeds it has, the more air you have to move past them to get good sound. Most triple reed calls with wicked cuts on them are made for loud cutting and cackling.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-10-2019, 04:53 PM

Too many calls these days have more cuts than Carters has pills. Now...someone really proficient on using a call can call well with them, but not the average "good" caller. They've got bat wings, super bat wings+, this and that multiple cuts. --. Most guys will sound more like a squirrel than a hen. Personally, I like a double with the slits on both sides and a cutter call. The best I've personally found are made by Zink. The Z cutter and Z yelper. The other thing about the Zink calls is their tape. When moistened with your saliva it softens more than any of the other tapes I've used, thus you don't have to trim it for a perfect non-leak fit. I use the Z cutter exclusively in the spring, the Z yelper exclusively in the fall for kee kees and kee kee runs. For me, the call's NG unless I can call softly with it. A lot of them sound great but it takes an air compressor to run them.
fall gobbler and stinkbait like this.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-10-2019, 05:43 PM
dce
Sage

I shot you a PM on another board.Get the lad a DVD called hunting pressured gobblers by Denny Gulvas and his master's choice call.The DVD is primarily instructional.Put the young man in a sound insulated room and have him watch the DVD over and over again while mimicking Denny's calls.You'll probably have to trim a little on the edge of the call to get it to fit right but that's a very easy call to learn on that doesn't require much air pressure.Do exactly as Denny says and the boy will be well on his way to being a slayer of turkeys.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-10-2019, 05:44 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

There is a website called Calling All Turkeys. Run by a champion caller by the name of Shane Simpson. You will find a tutorial on there about how to pick the right call to fit your mouth. It involves buying a 4 pack of calls, but in the end you will eliminate buying calls that might not be right for you. I wish I’d have known about this a long time ago instead of trial and error.
fall gobbler likes this.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-10-2019, 05:50 PM
tdd
Super Moderator

I’m certain you could amazon a diaphragm call and have it at your door in a day or two, as well.

Personally, I find them the easiest call to use.

I’ve never been what one would consider “normal” though. Lol
Six-Gun likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page