Coyotes - Page 8 - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 113Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #71 of 118 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 09:25 PM

Traditions only last if you pass them down to your kids!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #72 of 118 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 09:25 PM

Traditions only last if you pass them down to your kids!
post #73 of 118 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 10:47 PM
The Man

It is shockin to see that they figger that more hens are illegally killed than legally killed.
jimbridger likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #74 of 118 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 12:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpottorff View Post
That is the first that I heard they only get the injured, weak or stupid. I thought they ate whatever they can catch. What happens if there are none of the injured, weak or stupid to be found? I saw pictures of wolves out west, that killed some pretty impressive bull elk, they looked pretty healthy, but I was not there. I would think that an old healthy gobbler, strutting for a hen, might make an easy target, not weak injured or stupid, just trying to breed a hen.

The hen makes him stupid and the Doe makes the buck stupid and the cow makes the bull stupid. Stupid is as stupid does. Waugh!
Bates and Steeltrap like this.

AR is only a pacifier.You will never grow if it's not in your genes.
post #75 of 118 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 03:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cspot View Post
I fail to see where there is any reliable study showing mortality for young poults. I would believe that many poults are killed between their first and sixteenth week. If hens are unable to raise a brood, that is an easy way to see a reduction in turkey numbers. I know for sure that the smaller hawks are hard on poults at this age.
post #76 of 118 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 03:38 AM

Quote:
Looks like 8 percent die of cars or disease, the rest are likely predation , by man or beast, or the good one, censored. I guess it would be hard to find the transmitter, as noted in some cases, could be underground, in a den. That number of predation is alarming. A decrease in predation sure could help our turkey numbers.
post #77 of 118 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 07:56 AM

Dont forget the Fisher. Pretty sure it was on here the hunter watched a Fisher going up a tree to get the turkey and it wrecked his hunt cause he chased the Fisher away. Another person on here video taped a Fisher taking a red fox down and the fox,s death was put on hold because this person interupted the Fisher. The person kept taping the fox it was badly wounded and probaly didnt survive.

9-11-01 SOME GAVE SOMETHING. 343 GAVE ALL F.D.N.Y.
post #78 of 118 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twowithone View Post
Dont forget the Fisher. Pretty sure it was on here the hunter watched a Fisher going up a tree to get the turkey and it wrecked his hunt cause he chased the Fisher away. Another person on here video taped a Fisher taking a red fox down and the fox,s death was put on hold because this person interupted the Fisher. The person kept taping the fox it was badly wounded and probaly didnt survive.
Yep that was me that chased that fisher away. I have stated this a few times, ever since i started getting fishers on my trailcams in my area, i have found dead turkeys around their roosting sites and the population has declined pretty significantly. After watching that fisher climbing that tree makes you wonder if they are hurting the turkey population or not. I know studies have been done and found no evidence, i have read on other sites where hunters witnessed the same with fishers. I am sure they get their fair share from time to time just like any other predator.

4B
post #79 of 118 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 08:47 AM
Regular Visitor

Quote:
Quote:
Looks like 8 percent die of cars or disease, the rest are likely predation , by man or beast, or the good one, censored. I guess it would be hard to find the transmitter, as noted in some cases, could be underground, in a den. That number of predation is alarming. A decrease in predation sure could help our turkey numbers.
I'll do my part this trapping season like I do every trapping season!!! But doesn't help when I'm basically only one trapping around were I live. People complain about numbers and predators and lack of game but as sportsman let's not depend on the state and let's help ourselves!!! I know predators are not sole reason for decrease in Turkey and small game numbers but we can at least give them some support by helping taking some of the competition away!!! In my area I dont think it's a problem with adults birds being killed, it's they never get a chance to get to be an adult!
post #80 of 118 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Those censored are the ones that died within a few days of being handled. A few always die within a few days of being handled from what is known as capture myopathy or undetected injuries. Handling wildlife is very stressful for them and there is always a level of risk to the species being captured and handled.

Yes predation is and always has been the leading cause of mortality for turkeys, as it is for most wildlife species. Wildlife species are just not likely to die of old age.

All the species, any species, have to do to keep their population stable is recruit two of their species back into the population during their entire life cycle.

Since a turkey typically incubates and hatches an average of about 10 poults per year it is pretty obvious to people who understand how nature is intended to work that the majority of the poults are not intended to survive long enough to reproduce.

Predation is just a part of nature and thus perfectly normal and acceptable.

Dick Bodenhorn

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page