Evening hunts, tactic change - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By DrakesOnly

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-08-2019, 10:18 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Evening hunts, tactic change

I’m not a greatly experienced or greatly successful turkey hunter but I still love going out. I’ve always kept things simple. Either roost the birds or at least have a good idea where they are. Get in early and “click” at fly down and hopefully get to work a bird in. So far this season, due to work, a training trip to Georgia and our family vacation I’ve only hunted the first day and it was cut short due to wind and a cold 8 year old. I’m hoping to put some evenings in the late part of the season. I’ve never tried that before. I’m assuming I get close to where I think they will roost and call them in. What calling strategies are working for you guys and is there anything I’m missing. I’ll be doing this with my son in tow so I need to keep things pretty simple since He may also end up being the one behind the gun.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-08-2019, 11:33 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I have had success with getting in the area where they roost and do soft calling every 15-20 minutes but i never go crazy with my calling. Sometimes they have answered me and other times just came in silent and fed right to me when its close to roosting time. Thats what i plan on doing unless i get lucky and fill tag#2. Its been dead quiet since the first day and i have been out almost every morning before work. Good luck Just cross your fingers your in the area they plan on roosting that evening. My problem is there are 4 roosting sites on this 100 acres i am on. I just flip a coin and hope for the best lol.

4B
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-08-2019, 12:16 PM Thread Starter
Banned

That was basically what I was thinking. There are a couple roosting areas around. Like you say toss a coin if you can’t see them coming.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 04:01 PM

At times things just really jive in the evening. For instance, here in NY (no evening hunting), I roosted a bird Monday evening gobbling his fool head off going to roost. If evening hunting were allowed there's no doubt in my mind I would have killed him. Just got ahead of him and set up, called a bit, and wiped him out. I've killed several KS birds under that same scenario.

In this instance I set up Tuesday morning and got his buddy roosting about 75 yards from him after pestering with four hens.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 09:17 AM
The Man

I am going out this afternoon. Probably be in the woods around 4:30 or 5:00. My main goal is to scout for Thursday because I can hunt that morning. Never had much luck in the evening when it comes to gobbling and working a bird but have had it happen a couple of times. Don’t realky have the desire to sit and wait at a roosting tree. Wouldn’t get home until after 9 pm and then having to clean a turkey is not something I desire to do.

Darton DS-3800
Public Land Hunter
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 10:27 AM
Syd
Regular Visitor

I think the PGC should eliminate the all day hunting. Most birds taken then are ambushed anyway......then again many are taken with decoys and blinds over foods plots in the a.m. also....modern day turkey hunting
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 11:00 AM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syd View Post
I think the PGC should eliminate the all day hunting. Most birds taken then are ambushed anyway......then again many are taken with decoys and blinds over foods plots in the a.m. also....modern day turkey hunting
I don’t care how a hunter shoots a bird as long as it’s done legally. Personally for me.....I will only kill one if I know it came into my calling and preferably gobbled at least a few times. Intercepting them in a field with decoys or waiting for them to come back to roost never appealed to me. I also like the all day hunting. It gives me a excuse to get out there and I don’t have many mornings I am able to go. Unfortunately I don’t have an unlimited amount of vacation.

Darton DS-3800
Public Land Hunter
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syd View Post
I recognize that you probably have some level of experience to say this, and I also recognize that you said "most" and not all.... but I can tell you that I've had longbeards sprint 200 yards gobbling all the way to the barrel at 7 PM, just as they have at 7 AM. Someone who is going to ambush a turkey is going to ambush a turkey.
steelhead125 likes this.

"Speak when you are angry, and you will make the best speech you will ever regret." - Ambrose Bierce

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page