May 8th Wednesday - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 4Likes
  • 3 Post By woodsman1118
  • 1 Post By Duckman69

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-08-2019, 06:39 AM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

May 8th Wednesday

I have off the next two days so l figured l would go out and listen. l filled my tag the first Monday of the season. I wasn't expecting much gobbling from what l have been reading here. I heard 3 different birds gobble but by 6:30 all is quiet
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-08-2019, 07:18 AM
Super Moderator

Heard nothing so far heading to another farm to see if I can fire something up

My name is Moss and i'm a turkey huntin' addict

I'm itchin' to see a red fox twitchin!
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-08-2019, 07:52 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Decent amount of gobbling today. Had a beauty of a bird come in at 630. Gave me a nice 25 yard shot and #2 was down. Pics and story's to come later
kswiggy, jk6140 and Six-Gun like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-08-2019, 08:28 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

My youngest son hiked to the top of the Mountain (on GLs) and struck a bird really close, just over the hill. Setup and called again and was expecting to see it's head come over the rise any second and WHAM, a shot. He walked up and there was a guy setting in a blind made of sticks, wasn't calling and had no idea that nice longbeard was anywhere in the world. My son said he's done turkey hunting, lol. (He's not)

GOBBLE THIS!!!
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-08-2019, 09:17 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Heard nothing again this morning. I know they are there just not talking. Nothing out in the fields on my way home either.

4B
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-08-2019, 09:36 AM

I heard 3 birds this morning and filled tag number 2 at 6:20AM in WMU 2E. 20 pnds, 9 1/2 inch beard and inch long spurs. He gobbled 3 times on the roost and answered my calls each time. I must have walked past him climbing the ridge because he was behind me and I had to reposition. Winchester Longbeard #4s really did a number on him.
PAlimbhanger likes this.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-08-2019, 05:26 PM

I just can't seem to get a break. This morning at 2.2 miles in one was gobbling on the ground just a short distance out a gas well road on the game lands. I got set up at an intersections of roads. He answered as soon as I called to him. Within a couple minutes he gobbled again and had cut the distance in half. If I had been set up where I could see out his gas well road he was probably just about in range. A stinking hen started cutting as she was coming out the other road right toward him. She took him right back out the trail to a pipeline and a couple hundred yards away. He would gobble but he wasn't coming.

I moved on them and once again she took him the other direction and moved further away. Then I tried to go around them and get out in front of them but I must have spooked them in the process.

Dick Bodenhorn
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-08-2019, 06:31 PM

Well my son is having a rough go of it this year. Call another longbeard in perfectly this morning before school and work and it was another swing and miss. This one was pretty much a textbook hunt as we were setup about 100 yards or so from him on the roost. He flew down and came straight to us. Didn't run but he was at a quick walk. Gobbled like crazy which I don't think helped the boys nerves. LOL. Going to try again in the morning if it isn't raining.

Been a good year so far for us. I think only one morning that I have not heard a gobbler and that was this past Sunday in Ohio. Of course it rained all morning so that didn't help.

Traditions only last if you pass them down to your kids!
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-08-2019, 10:33 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

My Dad killed a stud bird this morning. 1 3/8" spurs.

ProSqueezing Pro Staff

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page