Quiet (DEAD quiet) morning in 3A - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-06-2019, 11:41 PM Thread Starter
The Man

Quiet (DEAD quiet) morning in 3A

Took a whirlwind trip to 3A...……….arrived about 4:00 PM Sunday to hunt Monday and scoot the 145 miles back home after lunchtime.

Mostly went to visit a couple good buddies that I hadn't seen for several years at turkey camp. I took a fellow who was also in camp out this morning. After raining all day and night, morning came up PERFECT for turkey hunting. We hit a piece of Tioga public that I have some familiarity with. Put about 3 miles on our boots and heard...……………….nothing. Only saw one hen dropping the whole 3 miles.

Between the other 5 guys in camp, a total of one bird which gobbled twice at considerable distance, was all that was heard.

Any idea if this was just a bad day that looked really good ?? Or are there that few birds up there this spring ??

demokraten saugen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-07-2019, 11:20 AM

I can't speak to that Tioga stretch specifically, but I have absolutely had bad days that looked like they were going to be great just like you described. Suns up, temps never dip appreciably, winds are low and...no gobbling after fly down or at all. I can't imagine bird numbers have dipped that low that they simply aren't up there.
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-07-2019, 11:31 AM
New Arrival

I just got back from 3a in Potter for a couple days. It was the same 2 birds in the distance on fly and quiet rest of the day. We didn’t even see any in the fields as we drive around.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-07-2019, 01:13 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Mercer County had 3 gobbling at 0540, daughter made sure a long beard got a ride in the truck at 0605
bohunr, bigguy54, loridr and 3 others like this.

Don't Gobble at me...
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-07-2019, 01:45 PM

Congratulations to her!!
bohunr likes this.

Benefactor Life Member NRA
Veteran - U.S.Army
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-07-2019, 02:36 PM

You have described this past Saturday, yesterday and today almost to the letter here where I"m at. Gobble on the roost 2 or three times then shut up. No gobbling late in the morning either. The past 2 days saw 2 gobblers together heads red. One lone one today his head was red. I'm not seeing any roaming hens either. There are gobblers in these areas I know for sure as I heard them before the season started and the pressure has been moderate. I will say it will turn around but vacation will end before it does for me, so the guys that hunt every day or guys that have vacation coming you will be okay.

A squakin' turkey don't live long
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-07-2019, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strut10 View Post
Took a whirlwind trip to 3A...……….arrived about 4:00 PM Sunday to hunt Monday and scoot the 145 miles back home after lunchtime.

Mostly went to visit a couple good buddies that I hadn't seen for several years at turkey camp. I took a fellow who was also in camp out this morning. After raining all day and night, morning came up PERFECT for turkey hunting. We hit a piece of Tioga public that I have some familiarity with. Put about 3 miles on our boots and heard...……………….nothing. Only saw one hen dropping the whole 3 miles.

Between the other 5 guys in camp, a total of one bird which gobbled twice at considerable distance, was all that was heard.

Any idea if this was just a bad day that looked really good ?? Or are there that few birds up there this spring ??
The dreaded hen curse now Strut. It will get better. Besides that glad to see how you and your guys make your camp work during any hunting season. Are your guys affected by the new opener of deer season?
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-07-2019, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fullfan View Post
Mercer County had 3 gobbling at 0540, daughter made sure a long beard got a ride in the truck at 0605
Freakin’ sweet!
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-07-2019, 06:06 PM Thread Starter
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by 338/378wm View Post
Are your guys affected by the new opener of deer season?
Everyone who was in camp is affected...………. To a man, EVERYONE is overjoyed and embracing the change. Yep.
bohunr likes this.

demokraten saugen
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-07-2019, 06:08 PM

That's the story of last season and now this season so far for me.

I kept telling myself it would heat up last year but it never did. Just got warmer temps, more foliage, more bugs, earlier starts and harder to wake up.

This year, if it stays bad during my next vacation I am liable to give up. Hunting silent turkeys isn't my thing.

Starting next Wednesday I am off through Memorial Day. Plenty of time for things to change...but I honestly don't have my hopes up.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page