17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-05-2019, 04:30 PM Thread Starter

Turkey Tag-Out in Missouri

Missouri is one of those places that makes tagging out a little tough:

- The 2-bird Spring season only runs from April 15 - May 5

- You can only shoot 1 bearded bird daily

- The hunting day ends at 1PM

- If you kill a bird the first week of the season, you can't shoot your second until the second week of the season

BUT...owning land there is a definite advantage and allowed for planning around a tough situation.

Today, at 6:04 AM, I shot my second Missouri gobbler, ending my 2019 season there with one bird down on opening day and a second on closing day. It also officially makes this the best turkey season I've ever had with 6 total birds in the freezer across 4 different states.

The Friday before this hunt, I took my 7 year-old son to hunt with me. We roosted birds and stayed in our camper to set up for a morning hunt. However, things got complicated when the birds decided to roost in a tree just over 100 yards from my blind. Worse, my boy got his foot stuck in mud, and in his panic to free himself, he pulled his foot out of the boot and took a spill into said mud.

With his warm clothes now all soaked and filthy, and the birds simply too close to the blind to access with a small kid, I decided to just open the camper window and set up decoys right outside of it so he could stay in his sleeping bag in the morning...and it *almost* worked out. We had a pair of gobblers get within 44 yards, but I wanted them inside of 40 to feel good about the shot with hens hanging nearby, too close for comfort. It made no sense to risk an inadvertent hen kill, but it also cost us the only chance of the day.

While my son had fun seeing birds come in close, the early wake-up tuckered him out. So, I went out solo for closing day and roosted birds the night prior. AGAIN, the birds roosted in a tree just 110 yards from the blind. The large cottonwood to the left of my blind is where they were perched overnight - getting in there undetected was a tall task:

However, we had a new moon and a pitch black night. I made the call to sneak out all of my gear and decoys with no headlamp and set up everything up exactly as needed in the blind the night prior. If I spooked the birds at all, they would have hours to settle down. It also cut the noise this morning down drastically.

It felt like a perfect, silent approach to the blind in the morning dark, but the proof as to whether the birds' senses were eluded would be in where they flew down. With the birds that close, I did no calling before their flight, opting to let the decoys do the work. When they did come down, just 15 minutes into legal shooting time, the hens and Toms flew *directly* at my blind and landed just before the decoys at 28 yards! Now it was just a matter of picking a gobbler and placing a shot. I got on the heaviest bearded bird and let loose when he strutted right into my crosshairs. The Benelli SBE3 loaded with #6 Winchester Long Beard XR 3.5" shells hammered him and he was down for the count.

The Tom ended up have a 9.5" double beard and the longer spur measured 1+1/4" (shorter was 1+1/8"). I uploaded the hunt footage for your viewing pleasure:

I wondered why his beard looked so thick. Well, it turns out that he had two of them.

Not a bad way to close out the season. I still have one more tag in Nebraska, but I'm not sure if I have the energy to go for a 7th bird. Regardless, this has been one heck of a fine season.

Last edited by Six-Gun; 05-08-2019 at 12:05 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-05-2019, 06:37 PM

Congrats and thanks for sharing all of your hunts with us!
Six-Gun likes this.

I support all hunters, regardless of weapon or technique!
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-05-2019, 07:14 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpms View Post
Congrats and thanks for sharing all of your hunts with us!
Thank you, dpms, and no sweat! Sharing with you guys makes my home stomping grounds in Eastern PA seem not so distant. In the end, we're all chasing the same stuff and I love reading everyone's hunts on here in kind.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-05-2019, 07:59 PM

Congrats. Headed back to OH again tomorrow.
Six-Gun likes this.

NRA Benefactor Member
NWTF Member
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-05-2019, 08:12 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born2Hunt View Post
Congrats. Headed back to OH again tomorrow.
Best of luck out there, Born2Hunt! Get it done. Some of the biggest Easterns Iíve ever seen were in eastern OH. Do you have some birds scouted?
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-05-2019, 09:09 PM
Super Moderator

Congrats!!
Six-Gun likes this.

My name is Moss and i'm a turkey huntin' addict

I'm itchin' to see a red fox twitchin!
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-05-2019, 09:25 PM

Outstanding bird, congrats!
Six-Gun likes this.

USAF 1980-2010
OEF VET
VFW Life Member
NRA Life Member
American Legion Life Member
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-05-2019, 09:34 PM

Nice story. Thanks for sharing. Your having a great season!
Six-Gun likes this.
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-05-2019, 09:55 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jk6140 View Post
Nice story. Thanks for sharing. Your having a great season!

As are you, buddy! Great second bird you bagged in PA. I was in the camper when you posted your hunt report but just saw it. Very nice job!

I have to see if I'm going to go back out for another Nebraska bird or not, but part of me just wants to call it good. Even though these hunts have been pretty fast, I'm getting older and can't find the energy the way I used to.

Last edited by Six-Gun; 05-06-2019 at 05:34 PM.
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-06-2019, 04:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Six-Gun View Post
Best of luck out there, Born2Hunt! Get it done. Some of the biggest Easterns Iíve ever seen were in eastern OH. Do you have some birds scouted?
Been there 4 days already Took a break to get my 2 PA gobblers. I just go to the same place every year for many years. A 2 mile walk back in. It is going to be timbered this Summer and I will be 74 next year and looking for a place with a shorter walk as the terrian is becoming more challenging.
Six-Gun likes this.

NRA Benefactor Member
NWTF Member

Last edited by Born2Hunt; 05-06-2019 at 12:42 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page