What do you use to locate a gobbler on the roost? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By wis bang

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-05-2019, 08:13 AM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

What do you use to locate a gobbler on the roost?

What call do you get the best results with when trying to locate a gobbler that has already roosted in the evening? I have a small wood lot and want to be able to determine if a gobbler has roosted there for the evening or I will move on to another property or two where I will hunt.
Thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-05-2019, 09:10 PM

I have never had good luck with crow calls and do much better with owl hooters. In fact, the real owls went on a major calling rip this morning and the gobblers I roosted last night went nuts shock gobbling to all of the noise. For whatever reason, that barred owl sound and coyotes howling really works to get them going. On that note, a coyote howler may come out with me next time out to see if it will work on my farm.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-06-2019, 08:03 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Okay, thanks for the reply.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-06-2019, 08:39 PM

No problem. Despite what I said above, shock calls are cheap and typically take up very little space in your vest. While a crow call hasn't worked well for me, your birds may respond well to it, so try it if other shock calls don't work.

As for owl hooters, there are many on the market, but I have had excellent luck with the HS Strut Mega Hoot owl call. It's actually a reed call (versus a traditional owl "hooter"), but it works very well to simulate a barred owl's "who, who, who-who" cadence:

You can hear me use it at the end of this video to mess with two Iowa gobblers that were with the bird that I shot a few weeks back. Note that all of the birds in the field responded to the call:

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-08-2019, 10:27 AM
Frequent Contributor

My girlfriend and I doubled up on opening day after I called a group of young males in. As soon as they appeared on the flat about 60 yards in front of us, some knucklehead at the top of the hill decided it would be a good day/time to start target shooting with his .22. I thought our hunt was ruined, until I saw that every single time the guy up top took a shot, all those young gobblers shock-gobbled in unison. Made me laugh every single time.

So, I'd say just fire off a couple of .22 rounds.

Quarry mine, blessed am I
In the luck of the chase.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-08-2019, 12:22 PM
Banned

When I was a kid my uncle used a wooden toy train whistle.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-08-2019, 03:31 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

outhouse door slamming as you exit. closing the truck door or blowing the horn. the sound of traffic hitting that bump out front...
Uncle Johnny likes this.

4th Generation @ Kamp.

3D - There are STILL a few deer left! You need to pry them out of the developments!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page