Some percentages of successful hunts to ponder - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 5Likes
  • 2 Post By Born2Hunt
  • 1 Post By Six-Gun
  • 1 Post By Turkeyman
  • 1 Post By Born2Hunt

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-02-2019, 10:59 AM Thread Starter

Some percentages of successful hunts to ponder

While setting over my decoy spread in OH yesterday I found myself nodding off to nap due to lack of action, a few days of early wake ups and too many long steep walks....so I put myself to recalling what things had worked for me over the past over 46 years of spring gobbler hunting. Yes, I got a late start as I never had the opportunity to hunt turkeys until I was 27 years old with no tutors and there were very little information available to gain knowledge from as I had to learn on true try on error.....

Here are some of my statistics based on my memory, only pertain to gobblers harvested and are rounded off to the nearest 5%.

Taken W/O decoys..........................40%
Roosted and called in......................20%
Came with hens visible...................15%
1 Hour + of calling back and forth....10%
Taken 40-45 Yds............................05%
After 10 AM..................................05%
Gobbler did not call on approach.....15%
Fields vs. woods...........................20%
Multi beards.................................05%
Public hunting areas......................35%
Taken with 1 shot fired.................100%

Clarifications that could have effect on my personal experiences vs. the experiences of others.

Most if not all of my spring gobblers were taken the first 7 hunting days or earlier of the season partly due to vacation days, but has carried throughout my 10 years of retirement.

Many of my gobblers were taken before the use of decoys were developed and several of those were run and gun at that time. I have taken all but 4 of my gobblers while hunting alone.

I have done no preseason scouting in the last 18 years....but I have heard gobblers on all most all my hunts that I arrive at or before daylight. I have covered a lot of area over the years, but have 7 hot spots from 10 to 100 acres which have produced several of the birds.

Oh, and I enjoyed every hunting day successful or not and most were not but provided much needed learning experience. I believe some of my biggest mistakes were either not being aggressive enough or on the other hand being too aggressive.

I wonder how those %'s might fit with the success of others.......
bigguy54 and Six-Gun like this.

NRA Benefactor Member
NWTF Member
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-02-2019, 11:03 AM

Without tracking my metrics formally and just mentally comparing, I’d say much of my percentages mirror yours.
Born2Hunt likes this.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-02-2019, 04:18 PM

Wow, now that's some data! I've never been that cryptic about keeping data such as that. But it's easy for me to remember my deeked birds. I killed one using a deek with the bow and one with the gun...both many years ago. As far as what time of the day, I'd say it's been pretty much spread all morning long, plus several end-of-the-day in KS. Because I'm not a deeker almost all my birds have been "woods" birds. I've killed a few in fields sans deeks...like both my MO birds this year. But both of those were where I was set up on a field tree shooting distance from the woods and called them out into the open, not the other way around, which is more difficult. As far as bird statistics, to me they're just the luck of the draw re: multiple beards, spur length and weight. Once on the ground and I check them out I'm sometimes pleasantly surprised.
Born2Hunt likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-02-2019, 07:26 PM Thread Starter

Turkeyman: Love the name......Took 7 spring gobblers in MO all nice birds. Passed on a numbers of Jakes. One 26 lbs. 4 Ozs. He has three beards 11, 7 1/2 and 4". It took me 2 hours of calling to get him into range. He occupies space in my loft. Totally enjoyed hunting in that state. All of the gobblers I was lucky enough to take in MO all in the woods.

NRA Benefactor Member
NWTF Member
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-02-2019, 09:05 PM

I am lucky to remember what I had for lunch. LOL.

I am a little surprised that you haven't killed more after 10AM. Is this partially due to hunting before work?

Traditions only last if you pass them down to your kids!
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-02-2019, 09:15 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cspot View Post
I am lucky to remember what I had for lunch. LOL.

I am a little surprised that you haven't killed more after 10AM. Is this partially due to hunting before work?
Some can be due to work as I took a few and made it to work on time. Before cell phones I told my sectary if I was not in 1/2 late put for me down for a half day vacation. During spring gobbler season I would take 5 half days rather than a weeks vacation....Had till 1 PM to make it to work...
cspot likes this.

NRA Benefactor Member
NWTF Member

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page