Pocono Birds Were are they - Page 3 - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 12Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 08:08 AM
Regular Visitor
 
PA Hunter/Trapper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 88
Back To Top
They should just close the fall season or have a very short fall season in 3D! I also live in Prime turkey habitat, and I'm fortunate enough to own a nice chunk of property that I manage for turkeys and deer.

In area I live we used to drive around and almost every field there be gobbler puffed out with a few hens walking around. I'd feel confident enough now to offer somebody $50 for every picture they could get of a turkey in my area because I know I wouldn't have to pay a penny cause there's no turkeys to take pictures of!!!

I also have multiple trail cameras setup on my property and the last picture I had of a turkey was April 6 and it was too lone hens by themselves. But guess what I have countless pictures of coyotes, foxes, raccoons, Fishers, deer and bears! I almost want to go out on a limb and say you have a better opportunity to kill a bear where I live then you do a turkey anymore. In last 3-5 years I have never had so many encounters and trail camera pictures of bears

Last edited by PA Hunter/Trapper; 05-09-2019 at 10:55 AM.
PA Hunter/Trapper is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #22 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 08:58 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: The Endless Mountains
Posts: 4,802
Back To Top
One of my hunting partners lives by Big Boulder. He stopped hunting turkey at home and hunts now with me in 3B cause in his words “there are no turkeys to hunt here.” This is a guy who has killed a turkey every year up until 2 years ago, now nothing. He also stated that seeing and killing bears would probably be easier now then killing a gobbler.
fall gobbler likes this.

Camp life,it don't get much better!
25ftup is offline  
post #23 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 10:36 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Levittown, PA
Posts: 2,986
Back To Top
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA Hunter/Trapper View Post
They should just close the fall season or have a very short fall season in 3D! I also live in Prime turkey habitat, and I'm fortunate enough to own a nice chunk of property that I manage for turkeys and deer.

In area I live we used to drive around and almost every field there be gobbler puffed out with a few hens walking around. I'd feel confident enough now to offer somebody $50 for every picture they could get of a turkey in my area because I know I wouldn't have to pay a penny cause there's no turkeys to take pictures of!!!

I also have multiple trail cameras setup on my property and the last picture I had of a turkey was April 6 and it was too lone hens by themselves. But guess what I have countless pictures of coyotes, foxes, raccoons, Fishers, deer and bears! I almost want to go out on a limb and say you have a better opportunity to kill a bear where I live then you do a turkey anymore. In last 3-5 years I have never had so many encounters in trail camera pictures of bears
Ever since the big fire [Seese Hill/Beartown rd - 16 mile run rd] we've been seeing a lot more bears, figured they were pushed by the fire.

4th Generation @ Kamp.

3D - There are STILL a few deer left! You need to hunt for them!
wis bang is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #24 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 11:18 AM
Regular Visitor
 
PA Hunter/Trapper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 88
Back To Top
Quote:
Originally Posted by 25ftup View Post
One of my hunting partners lives by Big Boulder. He stopped hunting turkey at home and hunts now with me in 3B cause in his words “there are no turkeys to hunt here.” This is a guy who has killed a turkey every year up until 2 years ago, now nothing. He also stated that seeing and killing bears would probably be easier now then killing a gobbler.
It's a shame too cause not to many years ago I use to tell everyone were fortunate to live in an area were theres such a great Turkey population! I'm not one of them guys that goes out 2 mornings in the spring hunting. I take a week's vacation every spring turkey season and I spend every possible spare minute I have in the woods hunting turkeys and I have been doing this for close to 40 years and these are the same woods I've been hunting for close to 40 years!!

On another note in recent years I've had some of the best trapping seasons I ever had and I almost never run into another trapper. Even though I enjoy trapping and love having great numbers of furbearers to trap, makes you realize how much harder it's going to be for the turkeys to rebound with all these furbearers, raptors and obstacles against them!!! I hope the state steps in soon with stricter restrictions and closes the killing of hens for a few years in 3D and give the turkeys a fighting chance to rebound!
PA Hunter/Trapper is offline  
post #25 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 12:09 PM
Regular Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 1,856
Back To Top
I doubt that if we stopped all turkey hunting it would make a difference. Wild predators are still going to put a hurting on the turkeys. I believe that the owls killing them on the roost and the smaller hawks killing the poults are the problem. To me poultry is poultry wild or domestic, and with domestic poultry if you leave a turkey , duck, chicken or guinea out loose with young, the coopers and sharpshinned hawks almost always kill the domestic poulty young ones. The wild poultry have the same predators. One must realize that these raptors are totally uncontrolled in numbers. Imagine if we left all predators go uncontrolled, we need predator control based on numbers , not emotion. Coyotes and all the furred predators are not helping our turkeys either , but at least these are controlled. Fact is all our prey species are going down in numbers, but predators seem to be increasing or holding their own.
bpottorff is online now  
post #26 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 12:51 PM
Administrator
 
DIYASUB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: NORTHERN NEW YORK STATE
Posts: 26,220
Back To Top
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpottorff View Post
Fact is all our prey species are going down in numbers, but predators seem to be increasing or holding their own.
Am I reading that right, are you actually saying that as food is becoming depleted raptors and other predators are not affected and may even be benefiting from it?

.
DIYASUB is offline  
post #27 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 02:37 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Berks Co., Pa
Posts: 4,101
Back To Top
Quote:
Originally Posted by DIYASUB View Post
Am I reading that right, are you actually saying that as food is becoming depleted raptors and other predators are not affected and may even be benefiting from it?

I believe that's what he's saying except I don't think he said they were benefitting from it. Predators eat, and some catch and eat turkeys, but they also eat a variety of other animals. They could kill every turkey in the area and just move on to mice, moles, snakes, rabbits, squirrels, fawns, birds, etc. One thing is for sure in my observation and that's there are far, far more predators, furred and winged, than say 25 years ago and there is definitely less small game. Any correlation?

GOBBLE THIS!!!
fall gobbler is offline  
post #28 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 03:37 PM
Regular Visitor
 
PA Hunter/Trapper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 88
Back To Top
[QUOTE]One thing is for sure in my observation and that's there are far, far more predators, furred and winged, than say 25 years ago and there is definitely less small game.

Absolutely!!!
PA Hunter/Trapper is offline  
post #29 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 03:52 PM
Regular Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 1,856
Back To Top
I believe fall gobbler understands what I am saying. He says how it is. As for raptors, many hawks migrate in the fall of the year, after they have killed many of the young of the year prey animals. Food can control predator numbers, but predators will leave an area when prey gets low, to find different food or a new area with more prey. I have never seen a predator starve to death. Coyotes also travel large areas, when they are not raising young pups. The more predators we have, the more they eat. Raptors are protected, and coyotes are hard to kill, and then we have all the other predators, prey animals have a hard time, when predator numbers are high. I also wonder if in some areas that have a lot of eagles, if the eagles cause the turkeys to stay more in the woods and avoid the fields. That could make it easier for the coyotes to ambush the birds, that stay in the woods. Just like with pheasants, turkeys use to be safe out in the middle of an open field, it was a good place to feed and out in the open it was hard for ground predators to sneak up on them with out being seen. When raptor numbers rose an open field is not safe place it use to be. And the furred predators have increased in numbers, like fisher, coyote, and bobcat.
bpottorff is online now  
post #30 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-10-2019, 06:41 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Berks Co., Pa
Posts: 4,101
Back To Top
Just talked to a good friend of mine who has spent his lifetime hunting in Pike Co. and knows it like the back of his hand. He's a great turkey hunter and had a business in Outdoor products and now at age 72, he hunts and fishes nearly every day. He told me last night that not only have they not killed a bird yet, he's barely heard any or found much sign. This man has killed a very large number of turkeys. I think he was bumming.

GOBBLE THIS!!!
fall gobbler is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome