Pocono Birds Were are they - Page 2 - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-05-2019, 02:43 PM
tdd
Super Moderator

Recent Game News cited lack of timber cutting and the associated lack of various stages of forest as a LARGE culprit in grouse, and potentially for turkey, too.

I know for me, I have some area-of-operation overlap with fall gobbler, and I'm seeing nothing to contradict his reports.

Where I hunt deer in 5C used to be flush with turkeys. I killed two longbeards there in 2010. I haven't killed a turkey since, and after a few years I gave up on that property and headed north into the mountains in various areas. I have yet to really get into birds. I'm far from an expert, but you'd think in the time and miles I've logged (it's a LOT of miles) on various tracts of SF and SGL, I'd eventually stumble into SOMETHING. Nope.

I have a good friend in Maine who offered me to come up and hunt up there with him. I think that's my game plan going forward. I'd like to take another Pennsylvania longbeard at some point, but I want to actually hunt turkeys, too, not just take my 870 for a walk in the mountains.
Mussgrass likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-05-2019, 03:42 PM

They push habitat and now westnile as the reasons for declines in grouse, pheasant, now turkey. Thing is domestic fowl have been suffering the same fate, because of increased feathered predator numbers. Look at all the people who need their chickens protected by netting, and how often do you see the free range bantams running loose in yards, fifty years ago this was common. The fowl, domestic or wild has been going down in numbers since raptors were protected. Add to that the increases in fisher, bobcat and coyotes, it does not look good for turkeys. The PA outdoor news copy from April 26, on page 22, shows a golden eagle swooping down on a gobbler in an open field in potter county, I wonder if the turkey was eaten. All these predators have to be eating something.
post #13 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-06-2019, 12:27 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Turkey population seems to be about normal in my corner of 3C. Remember, a wet spring (like we had last year) is the number one killer of young turkeys. I suspect that is why the population is down a bit. When we had chickens (500+), we'd lose over half of chick population during wet springs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-06-2019, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kudu338 View Post
Been hunting game lands in Poconos for last 15 yrs. The past three years are getting worse and worse for birds. I used to hear at least 15 to 20 different birds through out various game lands. This year so far had only heard one bird.

Been scouting since two weeks before youth day to try and find birds for the kids with no luck. Put on 8 miles first day with no sign or gobbles in a location that used to hear multiple birds.

Day two went to different location put on 6 miles with same results. no sign and no gobbling.

Talked to a hunter today at third location and he is seeing same thing with very little sign and no gobbling.

Is anyone else seeing the same results in the Poconos?
I heard west nile virus hit them hard along with the wet springs last yr?
Live near White Haven. Lots of birds here. I consider this the Poconos as all the Southeast comes up here and are in town every weekend. Have 3 big lone toms in my back yard as we speak. plenty of birds up here. Or should I say hey man there are no birds up here the west nile got them all lol. West Nile is not a factor. Wet springs up here is.
post #15 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-06-2019, 10:32 PM

I hunt in 3D ad ave a lot of birds in our area. I got a Jake and a 8" beard gobbler this season but in our area, we've been seeing a staggering increase in the coyote population witch in turn puts a damper on the gobblers sounding off on the roost especially once they fly down.
Attached Images
File Type: png IMG_3344.png (5.23 MB, 10 views)
File Type: png IMG_3322.png (5.51 MB, 12 views)
hunter-trapper21 and Six-Gun like this.
post #16 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-07-2019, 08:40 AM
Regular Visitor

I have lived and hunted the poconos my whole life and the turkey population has been on a steady decline now for the last 8 to 10 years! I am a avid Turkey hunter that lives eats and breathes it!!!! I hunt both private and state land in the poconos and I am literally losing sleep cause I feel like a sport and bird I'm so passionate about is disappearing from poconos and I have no control over it!! All my friends that hunt turkeys and hunters I run into have same story "what happened to the turkeys" Yes there is a few spots that still have decent population
of birds but there usual bordering the big developments were there feed well and barely wander out to huntable areas!! I dont blame it on hunting pressure I blame it on record wet springs during nesting season and with no fur market predator and raptor populations are at an all time high. When I was a kid you would never see eagles or ospreys and now I see them both daily. Yes I know ospreys and eagles are not the cause but just stating example if there numbers are doing great I'm sure other Raptors are not far behind! Last year we had a hen with 7 little ones come to our field daily multiple times a day. By August she had one pullet left and my wife watched a hawk take 2 of them previous to that right out of are field. I haven't fall Turkey hunted in years not because I don't want to I absolutely love it, I just feel that every Turkey is so important to our future anymore I dont want to kill it. Same thing with 2nd spring tag, I would love to get 2 tags but I just feel like I'm hurting myself and future of our turkeys in the poconos! I hope they bounce back soon cause I already see frustration in my son and losing interest in sport when we hunt our buts off and dont even hear a gobble in multiple places were years ago you would here multiple turkeys!!!
post #17 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-07-2019, 10:33 AM

I have seen the hawk episode that you speak of, one by one the poults disappear, sometimes though when they get down to one, the hen only has one to watch and the lone poult has a chance. The coopers hawks are real good at getting chicks of all kinds.
post #18 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-07-2019, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA Hunter/Trapper View Post
I have lived and hunted the poconos my whole life and the turkey population has been on a steady decline now for the last 8 to 10 years! I am a avid Turkey hunter that lives eats and breathes it!!!! I hunt both private and state land in the poconos and I am literally losing sleep cause I feel like a sport and bird I'm so passionate about is disappearing from poconos and I have no control over it!! All my friends that hunt turkeys and hunters I run into have same story "what happened to the turkeys" Yes there is a few spots that still have decent population
of birds but there usual bordering the big developments were there feed well and barely wander out to huntable areas!! I dont blame it on hunting pressure I blame it on record wet springs during nesting season and with no fur market predator and raptor populations are at an all time high. When I was a kid you would never see eagles or ospreys and now I see them both daily. Yes I know ospreys and eagles are not the cause but just stating example if there numbers are doing great I'm sure other Raptors are not far behind! Last year we had a hen with 7 little ones come to our field daily multiple times a day. By August she had one pullet left and my wife watched a hawk take 2 of them previous to that right out of are field. I haven't fall Turkey hunted in years not because I don't want to I absolutely love it, I just feel that every Turkey is so important to our future anymore I dont want to kill it. Same thing with 2nd spring tag, I would love to get 2 tags but I just feel like I'm hurting myself and future of our turkeys in the poconos! I hope they bounce back soon cause I already see frustration in my son and losing interest in sport when we hunt our buts off and dont even hear a gobble in multiple places were years ago you would here multiple turkeys!!!
Its not just the poconos where the turkey population is decreasing. I havent seen a poult in over 2 years and i live in farm country. Your lucky to even see a hen in the open farmland fields anymore. The one field i used to see turkeys daily, had 8 bald eagles feeding on a deer carcass along with a few hawks. I know those eagles nest up at the fields edge. This was in March.

4B
post #19 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-08-2019, 01:36 PM
Part of the Community

i've been out in the poconos last weekend and we chased gobblign birds from 5:45am till we left the woods at 11:30. Iw as surprised, not a single hunter openign weekend or last weekend and we were deep in turkeys with every set up. We were whooped from hiking up and down and across and around the mountain just didn't get the job done. We've killed one since then tho but up near tunkhannock PA.
post #20 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-08-2019, 02:05 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Opening weekend was too windy. spotted a flock up a powerline but the younger guys spooked 'em before I arrived with my calls.

While I do not hear many gobbles in 3D; I did have one roosted behind the cabin last Friday.

7:50 pm he gobbled when I closed the truck door and again to the horn when I hit the button...

04:50 standing on the porch listening to him gobble tot he sound of passing cars and trucks hitting the bump out front...

walked just a short way behind camp till i could see a good ways, poked the decoy in the rocks and plopped down by a tree listened to the occasional gobbles for a good 35 minutes.

made just ONE call. The whole woods got as quiet as a church on Sunday night....

frustrating for sure.

4th Generation @ Kamp.

3D - There are STILL a few deer left! You need to hunt for them!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page